Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
New release - Dub Room Special CD  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
cekman
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2007-08-03 07:21   [Quote] 
Heighdy! I just got back from the ZPZ show in New Hampshire, and was surprised to find that they were selling a CD of the Dub Room Special. I think the ZFT hinted that such a thing might be released back when the DVD came out last year. Apparently, it's only being sold at the shows, at least for now.

Here's the track list:

A Token of My Extreme (Vamp): 2:29
Stevie's Spanking: 5:54
The Dog Breath Variations: 1.42
Uncle Meat: 2:16
Stink-Foot: 3:58
Easy Meat: 6:51
Montana: 4:24
Inca Roads: 9:46
Room Service: 9:15
Cosmik Debris: 7:44
Florentine Pogen: 10:13

total time: 64:28

Not included from the video: Approximate (from the '74 band) and Flakes, Cocaine Decisions & Nig Biz (from the '81 band). A Token of My Extreme wasn't on the video, but is on the CD. And, of course, the track order is completely different.

The album was "produced, mixed and edited by FZ." I'm not certain, but just going by the track times, it looks like the song edits are probably the same as on the video. Montana, for instance, has the solo edited out, just like on the video. And Room Service seems to match the video transcript. However, as I suspect many of you will be relieved to learn, there are no sound effects on the CD.

Gail takes a page of liner notes to express herself. As ever, she is somewhat inscrutable, but she does mention that the CD and the DVD were supposed to be released simultaneously, along with releases on vinyl and iTunes. However, that fell through. No word if the vinyl or iTunes versions might still happen. One of the only promotional ideas that did work out was to rope in Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante, who takes another page of liner notes to tell his story of teenage Zappa fanaticism. It's a nice little appreciation.

Back when the DVD came out, I seem to recall there being hints that it was intended as a loss leader for full releases of both the '74 KCET show and the '81 Halloween show down the road. It is tantalizing and perhaps indicative of progress that ZPZ is using video clips from both concerts, and in both cases they're using stuff that isn't on either version of The Dub Room Special: Montana with the solo intact from '74, and Dumb All Over (also with the solo intact, unlike the YCDTOSA version) from '81. Then again, though, ZPZ pioneered the playing-along-with-old-video thing last year with excerpts from the Roxy video, and that doesn't seem to be any closer. But we live in hope.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
paulb
Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2007-08-03 09:17   [Quote] 
From the dvd:

[Profile]  [PM] 
p.brown
italy.gif
Post 2007-08-03 10:13   [Quote] 
Like Uncle Meat, 200 Motels and Does Humor, I Think that the stuff of the CD will' be different, with unreleased traks from 1974-1981-1982 tour.

The tracklist can't be the same of the DVD with the same versions:hmm:
Or no?!

CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-08-03 14:33   [Quote] 
Looks interesting. I hope it'll be on sale for the October show in Paris Razz
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2007-08-03 15:36   [Quote] 
p.brown wrote:

Like Uncle Meat, 200 Motels and Does Humor, I Think that the stuff of the CD will' be different, with unreleased traks from 1974-1981-1982 tour.

The tracklist can't be the same of the DVD with the same versions hmm
Or no?!

I totally agree, connazionale!
The tracklist contains only one track which is not on the video ("A Token Of My Extreme"). Imho they left off the best tracks ("Flakes", "Nig Biz"...)! That's a crime!

walk
Site Admin
germany.gif
Post 2007-08-09 04:48   [Quote] 
for those who cant buy it on ZpZ concerts:

Quote:
Frank Zappa's "The Dub Room Special" CD
admin@server.zappa.com; im Auftrag von; Zappa.com [listmaster@zappa.com]

Hellos,

Okay. We checked the Forum and noted that there's quite a lot of information (accurate) about this here CD. And we discovered that people really want to make sure that they can get it - especially if they're not in North America during the ZPZ concert season. So in response we have this to say about that:

Yes you can PRE-ORDER Frank Zappa's "The Dub Room Special" CD. And a limited number, on a first come first serve basis, will be served with the afore-referenced Tape Worm.

Try it. You'll like it. http://www.zappa.com/barfkoswill/dubroom.html

Shipping From August 24, 2007!

xxx,

the barfies
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2007-08-09 07:17   [Quote] 
Preordered a few here...

!Zappacheers walk!
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: