Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1975 01 06-09 Greggery Peccary: Alternate Ending 0.30 (drew51-flambay-progrockfan)
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Outtakes/Unreleased
DL-List
Complete: [ 300 ]

progrockfan
Contributor
uk.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-03-04 17:43   [Quote] 
The Adventures Of Greggery Peccary: Alternate Ending
Recorded 06 and/or 09 January 1975, The Record Plant LA
(The title of the flac itself shows the date 1975 09 18-19 and should be corrected for your collection— see discussion below)
Broadcast 3 Jul. 1981, KPFK-LA
Taped by Jeff Allan / Transferred by drew51 / Edited by drew51 & flambay

Here is an alternate ending to Side 8 of the unreleased Läther 4LP box set. There are six endings for Greggery Peccary known to date: the ending posted here, the Studio Tan LP, the Studio Tan CD, the Läther broadcast and CD, and the two outtake versions of Peccary posted on the tracker by BengoFury (found at http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2100).

I'm guessing that the previously unheard woman's voice at 0.08 is GZ— it sounds like it originates from the same tape source used for The Torture Never Stops.

A highly entertaining FZ quote about that particular taping session, from the UK Daily Mirror, 14 Feb. 1977:

Quote:
The sound effects to The Torture Never Stops were an evening's work. We did most of it in the bedroom of my house. There were two chicks there—one was my wife—plus myself. I think they enjoyed it very much. We got four hours on tape... Er, I don't think it's worth telling you precisely what went on...you wouldn't be allowed to publish it.

The complete KPFK interview is available on the tracker, posted by drew51 and flambay at http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8342.

Where Credit Is Due Dept: drew51 and flambay did 99% of the work here-- all progrockfan did was write a .txt file, re-name & re-post. This track needed a placement in the Outtakes/Unreleased forum for the sake of completeness.

Enjoy!— drew51 / flambay / progrockfan

Lineage: FM analog broadcast > reel to reel recorder (unknown model) > Maxell II Cassette > Gina20 > Sound Forge (record/edits/track splitting) > flac FFE lvl7 / wSBA (196 MB) > download > author text file, rename & re-post

Last edited by progrockfan on 2007-03-21 19:54; edited 4 times in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-03-04 18:19   [Quote] 
one day i have to compare all these versions! besides Bengo's, i also had tapes of these and recently picked up another set from Mr. "T" Who is the oldest known (to me) active taper around. A 70's taper still active. His collection of items is unreal. Notes from his version...
He recorded Zappa Texas 73, and Crimson 73, among other extremely interesting items.
And as you should all know his 73 recording of Zappa is one of the best ones out there!

Frank Zappa 1975 Greggery Peccary Alternate Versions - Outtakes (T-1607)

This CD-r release is from a cassette tape that I got in trade many years ago.

Studio recording >
unknown >
cassette >
Playback Deck: Tascam 130 >
Nikko 32 Band EQ >
Akai DR16 Digital Hard Disk Recorder 16 bit 44.1 Khz >
HHB CDR-800 Compact Disc Recorder >
CDR > WAV > Audacity > CD Wave Editor > FLAC

1. Greggery Peccary Alternate Version #1
different dialogue during the clock sequence
2. Greggery Peccary Alternate Ending
contains end of session chatter
3. Greggery Peccary Alternate Version #2
different ending

Has anyone ever noticed how much SpongeBob Squarepants sounds like Greggery Peccary and Patrick Star sounds like Billy The Mountain?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2007-03-04 22:28   [Quote] 
drew51 wrote:
Has anyone ever noticed how much SpongeBob Squarepants sounds like Greggery Peccary and Patrick Star sounds like Billy The Mountain?

mwwmwhahahahahah!!!! Never noticed this! But now that I think of it, you're right!!! Laughing
(I watch Spongebob in English language on Nickelodeon Wink)

BuffaloVoice
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2007-03-04 22:49   [Quote] 
drew51 wrote:

No, it's syncronized here...so this is a pretty valuable hint!!! In German SpongeBob sounds exactly like Steve Urkle.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
fadel
Busy Poster
morocco.gif
Post 2007-03-05 03:51   [Quote] 

band                                                                                                                         band

--                                                  TGuitar Solo Baz H          AGuitar Solo Al N          K blues S

----                                                                                                                                  grouphug
-                                                                                                                                  dazzler1 thumbsup headbanger
----                                                                                                                                  wings
music014 __________________________________________________ZAPPA :Zmoustache: EERS____________________.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Yojimbo
Contributor
sweden.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-03-05 14:13   [Quote] 
Since I picked out Greg Russo's book for session sheet info, I could add that the Peccary recording sessions were in January 1975, not September. At the Syracuse lecture in April, FZ said they took place "last December", but keeping track of dates were never his strongest side...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
doublebassy
uk.gif
Post 2007-03-05 14:46   [Quote] 
Yojimbo wrote:
Since I picked out Greg Russo's book for session sheet info, I could add that the Peccary recording sessions were in January 1975, not September. At the Syracuse lecture in April, FZ said they took place "last December", but keeping track of dates were never his strongest side...

But has this little ending section got anything to do with the original Peccary sessions? It sounds more like something recorded as grouting, maybe in 1977 like you can see on the Baby Snakes DVD.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-03-05 15:20   [Quote] 
Quote:
keeping track of dates were never his strongest side...

That's putting it lightly, he was plan terrible at it, man, I thought i was bad, he was worse I have ever seen!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
progrockfan
Contributor
uk.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-03-05 19:23   [Quote] 
Quote:
I could add that the Peccary recording sessions were in January 1975, not September.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there were Peccary recording sessions in both January (The Record Plant LA) and September (Royce Hall).

Having said this, I think you must be correct about this track, which does not feature any of the orchestral material recorded at Royce Hall. I'd say the most likely sessions for this material would be January 6 and/or January 9.

I have updated the post title and text to reflect this correction.

As always, Yojimbo, thank you for your scholarship! Smile

doublebassy
uk.gif
Post 2007-03-05 19:29   [Quote] 
progrockfan wrote:
Quote:
I could add that the Peccary recording sessions were in January 1975, not September.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there were Peccary recording sessions in both January (The Record Plant LA) and September (Royce Hall).

Having said this, I think you must be correct about this track, which does not feature any of the orchestral material recorded at Royce Hall. I'd say the most likely sessions for this material would be January 6 and/or January 9.

I have updated the post title and text to reflect this correction.

As always, Yojimbo, thank you for your scholarship! Smile

But isn't that O'Hearn just before Bozzio speaks? I think this piece of grouting was made later.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Yojimbo
Contributor
sweden.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-03-05 19:43   [Quote] 
Quote:

Aye, you're right - parts of it were recorded on Sep. 19 - sorry 'bout the confusion. But I also agree with doublebassy that most of what's on this outtake has more to do with Läther than with GP, and although it's hard to identify and put a date on every little snippet in there, 1977 is probably the year it was assembled.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2007-03-05 19:50   [Quote] 
progrockfan wrote:
Quote:

One of the outtake versions has a complete performance from the OSFA sessions. For the version released on Lather and Studio Tan, the ending was replaced by a performance from Royce Hall.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
progrockfan
Contributor
uk.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-03-05 19:54   [Quote] 
Quote:
But isn't that O'Hearn just before Bozzio speaks? I think this piece of grouting was made later.

Yeah, I think you're correct-- good catch, doublebassy.

Quote:
Aye, you're right - parts of it were recorded on Sep. 19 - sorry 'bout the confusion. But I also agree with doublebassy that most of what's on this outtake has more to do with Läther than with GP, and although it's hard to identify and put a date on every little snippet in there, 1977 is probably the year it was assembled.

OK, is this the consensus on the year this track was compiled & edited?--1977?

Opinions please!

doublebassy
uk.gif
Post 2007-03-05 19:57   [Quote] 
Yojimbo wrote:
Quote:

OK, I did a little more research, using Roman's great Leather Conversation page.

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/songs/Leather.html

It turns out that the bit here that isn't at the end of Greggary Peccary on Läther (0:08-0:26 in this excerpt) is used at the end of the track Läther itself. So I'm not sure there's anything completely unreleased here, although it's interesting to hear it used a different way.

Thanks for all these bits and pieces, drew and progrockfan. I love working out where they all come from!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2007-03-05 21:47   [Quote] 
doublebassy wrote:
So I'm not sure there's anything completely unreleased here, although it's interesting to hear it used a different way.

Yes! It's very very very slightly longer Wink

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Outtakes/Unreleased All times are GMT

Jump to: