Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
New Zappa book coming soon...
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
SM7609
Poster
Post 2007-02-27 17:53   [Quote] 
Thank you , thank you!!! I just hope you all like it once you see it Smile

Printing continues today--almost to the halfway mark of the first set of copies!!

Mike--That actually works for me!! That would probably be the most sane option. So here is what we're looking at as far as volumes go:

Volume One: 1959-1969 - Pre-MOI, the original Mothers of Invention
Volume Two: 1970-1972 - Hot Rats, The Wazoos, Flo & Eddie
Volume Three: 1973 - 1974 - The Roxy & Elsewhere Bands
Volume Four: 1975 - Spring 1976 - Bongo Fury and The Last Mothers
Volume Five: Fall 1976 - 1980 - The Super Groups
Volume Six: 1981 - 1982 - The Vai Tours
Volume Seven: 1984 - The 20th Anniversary
Volume Eight: 1988 - The Final Tour
Volume Nine: 1989-Present - The Final Years, The Posthumous releases

Does that sound reasonable, or lacking in sanity?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
NotPedro
Site Admin
netherlands.gif
Post 2007-02-27 17:57   [Quote] 
To a zappateer "reasonable" and "lacking in sanity" are often the same thing Smile

The division sounds logical, but of course you could always split/combine volumes if you find you have too much/little material for a specific era.

Anyway you do it, I'll be looking forward to each and every volume.

BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2007-02-27 18:15   [Quote] 
NotPedro wrote:
To a zappateer "reasonable" and "lacking in sanity" are often the same thing Smile

Hee! Pas op! Laughing
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Stucco Holmes
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2007-02-27 19:36   [Quote] 
Hi Scott!
Please put me down for 1 as well.
What a project!
Splendid job and thank you!! thumbsup :Zmoustache:

mikezappa
Poster
estonia.gif
Post 2007-02-27 20:28   [Quote] 
i'm happy that you liked my break-down of the eras.

i remember i was quite proud of myself in making the seperation between the Spring 76 and the Fall 76 as i realized that Spring 76 was the last time concerts were billed (and introduced on stage) as the Mothers. by the time of the Fall 76 tour (and ever henceforth) it was "zappa".

on word of caution though - Volume 5 (The Super Groups) is HUGE in comparison to the others. this works OK for me in the way i have my CD's organized, but you might need a further break-down of this period for book-writing purposes.

maybe, the breakdown would follow the changes in the rythym section (ie, "Bozzio/O'Hearn", "Vinnie & Arthur", etc, etc). also, you could take a look at the way The Catalogue here on Zappateers is organized.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
LudzNL
Contributor
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-02-27 20:45   [Quote] 
hmm Don't call Fall 1976 - 1980 "The Super Groups". I think thats kinda personel, aint it. For me the FZ superband was the Feb - Sep 1973 lineup with Jean Luc Ponty, George Duke and the Fowlers. Guess it all comes down to your own taste Wink All bands had great musicians

mikezappa
Poster
estonia.gif
Post 2007-02-27 23:27   [Quote] 
Quote:
All bands had great musicians

absolutely agree!!!

Quote:
For me the FZ superband was the Feb - Sep 1973 lineup with Jean Luc Ponty, George Duke and the Fowlers.

and i might even agree with you on that.

what i found distinquishing about the 77-79 groups, was the influx of a lot of "hired guns" - young, new guys you never heard of before, that kicked ass and brought a late-70's energy and virtuosity - thinking Vinnie, Ed Mann, Ray White, Tommy Marrs, Adrian Belew, Bozzio (even though he was already an alum by then), O'Hearn, etc.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mrmike
Power Poster
Post 2007-02-28 00:06   [Quote] 
Is there any information available as to how much money each band member was paid per show?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
SM7609
Poster
Post 2007-02-28 17:19   [Quote] 
Quote:
Is there any information available as to how much money each band member was paid per show?

Hmmmm...ideas, ideas Smile

As to "The Super Groups"--I would actually retitle the books anyway so as to avoid political controversy---this is pretty much the reason why I decided a long time ago that my analysis of the live shows would not be a "critical" one--my feeling was that I didn't want to influence you negatively with my opinion of a certain show. People of course do enjoy subjective crticism, but to me it's a totally subjective thing and the articles are long enough without beating everyone over the head with opinions. Besides, while I do feel that some shows were better than others, I like it all, and have done so for more than twenty years. This of course should indicate that I am at least one spoon short of a full set of silverware Wink

I don't actually have an opinion as to which band was THE BEST but I think it's fair to say that most feel that the 1974 band was the peak, or close to it.

Here's a printing update: all is going reasonably well today. I'm into printing the boot LP sections. I'm trying hard to keep the pictures looking as good as possible, but doing this on an inkjet makes it really difficult at times. In all liklihood, all the books will have their own special little anomalies (nothing serious I think), but hey, at least you will know they're all made by hand Smile

I will probably begin to accept pre-orders in about two weeks or so, if all continues to go well!! I just want to make sure that the pre-orders are delivered quickly, as I have pre-ordered books (and CDs!!) and have waited two months for delivery. Total bankruptcy be damned, I promise that won't happen here!!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2007-02-28 17:25   [Quote] 
Quote:
I will probably begin to accept pre-orders in about two weeks or so, if all continues to go well!! I just want to make sure that the pre-orders are delivered quickly, as I have pre-ordered books (and CDs!!) and have waited two months for delivery. Total bankruptcy be damned, I promise that won't happen here!!

If possible, i'd very much like to have a signed copy of #1          Very Happy
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
chuckspinach
Busy Poster
Location: I said look to th' @$^%! damn Night Sky, motherfucker.....
stkitts_nevis.gif
Post 2007-02-28 21:12   [Quote] 
BengoFury wrote:
If possible, i'd very much like to have a signed copy of #1          Very Happy

ME TOO!!!!! Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

mikezappa
Poster
estonia.gif
Post 2007-03-01 16:33   [Quote] 
i just wanted to clarify...

to me, the term "super group" does not indicate any kind of "better-ness".

in fact, as we all know, most so-called super groups suck.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
SM7609
Poster
Post 2007-03-02 00:13   [Quote] 
Quote:
in fact, as we all know, most so-called super groups suck.

True enough!! Smile

Bengo and Chuck...in fact for everybody: The initial copies of the book will indeed be signed, and numbered....and they'll also come with a free sock, which I'm sure we all know makes the book more commercial Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wheatgurm
usa.gif
Post 2007-03-02 01:45   [Quote] 
Looking forward to a copy!!! Looks nice!!!

Busy Poster
Location: I said look to th' @$^%! damn Night Sky, motherfucker.....
stkitts_nevis.gif
Post 2007-03-02 05:30   [Quote] 
SM7609 wrote:
Bengo and Chuck...in fact for everybody: The initial copies of the book will indeed be signed, and numbered....and they'll also come with a free sock, which I'm sure we all know makes the book more commercial Smile

Well... that, of course, depends upon where and how you place it . . . but I'm sure you know what you're doing.....

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 7 of 10 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: