Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
New Zappa book coming soon...
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
RDNZL
Contributor
denmark.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-02-20 16:05   [Quote] 
What ...no telephone?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
SM7609
Poster
Post 2007-02-20 16:30   [Quote] 
I tried to get the Zappa Phones made Chuck, but a lovely letter was sent to me by the ZFT's lawyers once I made my intentions known, so I no can do Wink

Now the Zappa socks, that seems to be OK with them. As long as you wear socks Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-02-20 17:55   [Quote] 
SM7609 wrote:
Now the Zappa socks, that seems to be OK with them. As long as you wear socks Smile

Want Zappa-esque socks? Try these, with lovely poodles Mr. Green

(Hope the admins won't slap me for posting this!)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
LudzNL
Contributor
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-02-20 18:21   [Quote] 
laughhard @ CheepnisAroma

marcomat
Contributor
italy.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-02-21 08:17   [Quote] 
BengoFury wrote:
No! don't do it! - well OK OK, you have my permission, but first a real book, and you already said that yourself Wink

IMHO, out of all things possible to digitilize, nothing looses so much from it... it's simply not a book anymore!

bad Bad boy Bengo! And the Planet? And the Amazon Forest? And the polluting papermills? And the billions&billions&billions of ink cartridges? And all the vehicles involved in the ship&delivery process? And Sting? And Gail with her dolphins & her koala bears & her extinct (right here on the) Flora & Fauna (you wanna?)?
Just kidding. Wink I know what you mean and I too appreciate the "book-object". Fact is that from Scott's photos, it seems to me that the print is very home-made, on gr.80 paper, the same we usually feed in our beloved tiny printers sitting (the printers, not us Wink ) on our tiny desks in our tiny & coozy homes. It was just a suggestion to make things easier & smoothier to our meritorious Scott.

To tell the truth, not only I want the kilo's worth of paper, but I'm also drooling over the Limited Edition Package Autographed by The Author Plus Phone & Socks Plus Blanket! Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
nicolin
france.gif
Post 2007-02-21 10:33   [Quote] 
hi sm,

I'd like to have your book too !

ciao
 [Profile]  [PM] 
chuckspinach
Busy Poster
Location: I said look to th' @$^%! damn Night Sky, motherfucker.....
stkitts_nevis.gif
Post 2007-02-21 15:25   [Quote] 
SM7609 wrote:

Fair enough, but remember how commercial just one sock rendered Don Preston's composition in the Uncle Meat movie... Shocked

Hmmm... come to think of it, a sock may be just the way to guarantee the book's success.....

SM7609
Poster
Post 2007-02-21 16:32   [Quote] 
A sock...hmm, considering the commericial advantages...I believe that that's just the thing this book needs! Either that or a bird, or a fuming beaker Wink

So I guess the freebie giveaway to GUARANTEE THE BOOK'S SUCCESS should be one of these:

1. A bird (found on the road)
2. A sock (I can even make sure it's a clean one)
3. A fuming beaker (just to see what the post office people would do)
4. Phyllis Altenhaus

Anyone have a preference? Wink

--Scott
 [Profile]  [PM] 
chuckspinach
Busy Poster
stkitts_nevis.gif
Post 2007-02-21 17:03   [Quote] 
Unless you've mastered the graceful art of Human Cloning... or have unlimited funds to cover the postage necessary to accommodate pyrex-laden packages, I would say that (2) is yr best bet.....

kwyrbndr
usa.gif
Post 2007-02-21 18:06   [Quote] 
I'd be very interested as well.
Please keep us informed.
Ken
 [Profile]  [PM]  [AIM] 
SM7609
Poster
Post 2007-02-24 13:53   [Quote] 
Hey Ken--You've got it!! I will probably start a completely new thread once the books are ready for order...

And now peeps, I give unto you a DILEMMA (or a DILEMNA if you'd prefer)...

As you all know, I've been printing the books BY MYSELF at home, then having them professionally covered and bound. As you all know this has it's advantages:

1. The books are in color.
2. It is cheaper (no, really!!) by far than any printer I've talked to---since I don't charge myself for time. It's not cheap by any means (anyone who has dealt with big quantities of ink will know what I mean) but it IS cheaper.

And it's disadvantages:

1. The paper would probably be thicker from a "real" printer (Dunno if that matters much---it may matter to some though).
2. The books may have the very occasional flaw (in the pictures, not the text), owing to the fact that, well, I'm not a professional.

My feeling is that doing it myself helps me to come out with the book I wanted to see (minus a couple of typos here and there).

HOWEVER--it is a lot of work!! I am about a quarter of the way through the first set of copies, which has me on schedule at least.

So my question to you guys is this:

In order to keep costs down and to make the book reasonably priced I have found a couple of reasonable local print shops that will do the work, but the cheaper ($30) retail of the book would mean that the print would have to be in B&W only. But at least the books would be ready faster!

So I guess I am taking a POLL here. Would you rather:

1. Me print the books here, in color I just woldn't want anyone saying "boy, that's cheesy!!". I doesn't LOOK cheesy really, but you never know Wink
2. Send them to a professional printer in B&W.
3. Offer two editions: a pro-printed B&W copy which would be cheaper and a pro-printed color copy which would be more expensive.

I look forward to your opinions!!
Thanks as always!!--Scott
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2007-02-24 14:04   [Quote] 
Quote:
1. Me print the books here, in color I just woldn't want anyone saying "boy, that's cheesy!!". I doesn't LOOK cheesy really, but you never know
2. Send them to a professional printer in B&W.
3. Offer two editions: a pro-printed B&W copy which would be cheaper and a pro-printed color copy which would be more expensive.

The idea of a "homemade" version is super to me, imagine how rare it'll be in 20 years Smile
I vote on #1.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
chuckash
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2007-02-24 14:30   [Quote] 
SM7609,
My vote is for option # 1.prost

chuckspinach
Busy Poster
stkitts_nevis.gif
Post 2007-02-24 18:32   [Quote] 
"1" me, baby...

-------------------

Incidentally, you can buy thicker paper for laserjet/inkjet printing.

I use "28-lb." paper for all my, er... professional work, although you'll usually find 20-lb. in most folks' copiers and printers.

It looks better, it feels better, and large images won't "bleed" through to the other side nearly as much...

The difference in price isn't *that* much.....

Chunga's Revenge
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-02-24 20:54   [Quote] 
ONE for me! cooler

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 5 of 10 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: