Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
New Zappa book coming soon...
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
SM7609
Poster
Post 2007-03-05 19:01   [Quote] 
Quote:
He sure deserves to be in there! And as he's promoting his DVD as hard as he can, though low budget wise, i can't believe mentioning him and the film could get him into any trouble, especially as this book isn't that commercial either

A good point!! I think it's important to mention it, as the DVD is so wondrous Wink

As you can see I'm still revising slightly!! Here's my little mention as it will appear in the book, if this makes sense:

1968 The Mothers Of Invention (a.k.a. Suzy Creamcheese, What's Got Into You? a.k.a. Raw Meat) by Ed Seeman & Frank Zappa 42 min. (short version: 3 min.; complete version: 14 hours)
This 42-minute video is a collection (culled from 14 hours of footage which now resides in the Zappa vault) of cinematographer Ed Seeman’s documentary footage of Frank and The Mothers from 1967, including footage from the Garrick Theater, the European 1967 tour, recording sessions at Apostolic Studios and Frank’s New York apartment. The footage is silent but has been dubbed by Seeman with music from the Freak Out!, Absolutely Free and Lumpy Gravy albums. Interesting note: the Lumpy Gravy material on the soundtrack comes from the original all-orchestral “Capitol version” of the album, not the revised version released by MGM/Verve. Seeman obtained this music from Frank as a means of providing a soundtrack for the film. In February 2007 Seeman distributed a DVD of this footage privately, giving us the best copy possible of this important rare film. The 3-minute version is just the first 3 minutes of the complete film, in B&W, taken from a TV broadcast.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
SM7609
Poster
Post 2007-03-06 21:25   [Quote] 
Today's update...

Today I started working with my wonderful local PO coming up with postal solutions that make sense. I'm trying to come up with a good rate for postage. I would assume everyone not in the USA would like to use air mail, so I'm going by that.

And as I've said before, I will take pre-orders (or I should say "orders" as a bunch of books are already printed) as soon as I know what to charge.

I'm guessing the best way of making it known that the pre-orders are ready to be taken is to start a new thread. but I figured I'd ask before I just did that!!

Thanks!!--Scott
 [Profile]  [PM] 
SM7609
Poster
Post 2007-03-06 21:27   [Quote] 
Oh, and I continue to revise a bit...I've decided that the "Ann Arbor 1967" tape is actually two different shows, one from 1967 and the other from 1969. So I've had to rewrite those articles!!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wheatgurm
usa.gif
Post 2007-03-07 03:42   [Quote] 
Man Im getting excited for that book!! Chop chop! grr
hehe just kidding, but looking forward to it. headhammer

Poster
Post 2007-03-07 22:59   [Quote] 
Quote:
Man Im getting excited for that book!! Chop chop!
hehe just kidding, but looking forward to it.

Thanks wheatgurm!

I now have a cheezoid little website for the book...the address is www.scottparkerbooks.com
feel free to check it out...maybe the samples are a little bigger there Smile

I went to the PO today to get rates, and I'm really dismayed by the idea that the cost of sending a book to, say, Italy by air is $15.30 US. And that's just postage!! Is that normal? I'm guessing that there isn't a cheaper, more sensible alternative?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wildfisherman
Vine Coordinator
uk.gif
Post 2007-03-07 23:19   [Quote] 
Talking about pre-orders...............

If it wasn't too much hassle what would you feel about looking back through this thread and starting with a list in the order that people came back expressing an interest.

I'm not just saying that because I'm way up the list (I'm not), but it would at least mean that someone who signed up early wouldn't fall back because he was late noticing the real pre-order thread.

And I don't have any knowledge about it, but might there be an option to ship a bulk consignment to Europe which then got fed out as individual books once they were all here. Postage rates within Europe aren't too bad. I know that sometimes when I get mail order stuff from the States it appears to have been put in the post in Europe. Caiman CDs particularly.

Hopefully there's some mechanism for doing it which might be a bit slower than individual Airmail but still quick enough. I'd be fine looking at an extra week or two's wait. A month ago I didn't even know your book was happening.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
SM7609
Poster
Post 2007-03-08 13:13   [Quote] 
wildfisherman--I will definitely be offering land/boat shipping for the book, which would be cheaper, but it'll also take 2-6 weeks, I'm told. I just want to offer it as an alternative to air though, for those who would like to save the money.

And that's a very good point as well about the list, and the order. it looks like I am in fact ready to start taking orders, at least so I can get an idea of what will be required. So I will be contacting the people in the order that they have contacted me (near as can be), either here or privately.

I have checked into bulk consignment via FedEx but that does appear to be a VERY expensive proposition indeed--I am still open to any alternatives, but I have also been advised by several people (incl. authors) that USPS may be the most expedient/logical solution.

So I submit the foillowing rates for your consideration, courtesy of USPS:

6.00 US Priority Mail shipping
5.00 US Parcel post shipping
3.00 US Media Mail shipping
10.00 Canada/Mexico (by air I believe)
16.00 Rest of da world (air)
8.00 Rest of da world (sea--takes much longer though)

Does this make sense? Those of you outside the US have much more experience in this than I do so I may as well ask!! Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2007-03-08 13:45   [Quote] 
Quote:
Does this make sense? Those of you outside the US have much more experience in this than I do so I may as well ask!!

It sure does make sense, and $16 is no biggie i think, considering the weight of the book. I will for sure go for that option, since sea shipping is incredibly slow Smile
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
SM7609
Poster
Post 2007-03-08 14:46   [Quote] 
Quote:
It sure does make sense, and $16 is no biggie i think, considering the weight of the book. I will for sure go for that option, since sea shipping is incredibly slow

Consider it done!! I will start the pre-order thread in a few hours I think...just have a few things to tweak here!! Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
SM7609
Poster
Post 2007-03-10 15:09   [Quote] 
Hey gang,

As I've gathered from some of the pms I'm getting--Some of you may not have seen the "book is available" thread so I'm just letting you know that I do have copies of the books available, and if I haven't already contacted you please pm me and I'll give you the details Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
chuckspinach
Busy Poster
Location: I said look to th' @$^%! damn Night Sky, motherfucker.....
stkitts_nevis.gif
Post 2007-03-10 16:39   [Quote] 
SM7609 wrote:
So I submit the foillowing rates for your consideration, courtesy of USPS:

Are these rates for "First Class" mail?

Printed matter is usually shipped by USPS as "Fourth Class" mail, which is -- or, at least, used to be -- significantly cheaper.

Also, shipping internationally via "Surface Mail" is a lot cheaper than sending it via "Air Mail." It will usually take longer to arrive, BUT I have noticed that the Post Office will sometimes ship Surface Mail as if it were Air Mail anyway... perhaps because there was some extra room on the plane that day...

mrkarlaug
norway.gif
Post 2009-03-16 13:13   [Quote] 
Hi,
I see that it is a long time since it was last posted a comment here. I have been trying to search for this bootleg cd book on the net, but have not found it. Anyone who knows where I can order it, if it still is available? To the writer of the book; have you seen/heard the boots on the Academy label? Very nice packing (in mini LP style covers), and the sound quality is as good as it gets (some very good soundboard recordings, and some not so good old audience recordings - but still historical "documentations" for any Zappa fan). I would appreciate of someone could give the link to the site the book can be ordered from.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Best regards, mrkarlaug/Norway
 [Profile]  [PM] 
marcomat
Contributor
italy.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-03-16 15:17   [Quote] 
mrkarlaug wrote:
Hi,
I see that it is a long time since it was last posted a comment here. I have been trying to search for this bootleg cd book on the net, but have not found it. Anyone who knows where I can order it, if it still is available?

Try here (it's in UK)

http://www.gandsmusic.com/Default.htm
 [Profile]  [PM] 
SM7609
Poster
Post 2009-03-16 15:25   [Quote] 
marcomat wrote:
mrkarlaug wrote:
Hi,
I see that it is a long time since it was last posted a comment here. I have been trying to search for this bootleg cd book on the net, but have not found it. Anyone who knows where I can order it, if it still is available?

Try here (it's in UK)

http://www.gandsmusic.com/Default.htm

Thanks, marcomat. And Dave can always use the publicity!

Scott
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mrkarlaug
norway.gif
Post 2009-03-18 13:11   [Quote] 
Thanks for replying - but there were no bootleg overview books there - maybe sold out? Anyone knows if it still is available? Or anyone have one used for sale?
I am, as I guess most of you are, collecting Zappa records (I am collecting CDs). I am close to 250 releases now (not all different - the rarest ones I have 2-3 pcs. of (when coming over any rare recordings, like e.g. the AU20 series, to a reasonable price, I have bought more than one - made sure that et least one copy is sealed, and one copy opened but mint). I have a compleete collection of the VACK12 series (all official Zappa records in Japanese pressing with mini LP style cover), compleete VACK9000 series (the YCDTOSA's + The Best Band... + Läther as far as I remember), and the VACK13 series (also Japanese pressing - the same as VACK12 series but with different OBIS's, on the VACK13 series it is among other tings written "American Composer...", but not all has been released yet - not sure if they ever will, as they were released 6 or 7 at the time (23 releases in total, counting doubles and triplets as one), but suddenly the releases stopped coming out for some unknown reason in September 2008. In addition to these official recordings, I have a lot of promos, and also (yes, I guess it makes me a criminal and I am a little bit affraid of the suites from ZFT - but only slightly) a relatively large amount of bootlegs. An overview of what has been released, from which concert (date and venue) it is recorded, set list, sound quality, audience/soundboard recording etc. would be nice. Also if there are different versions released (like some has been released in Digipack or Mini Lp Style cover in a small numbered amount, and a far larger amount packed in regular jewel case, like the "1991" bootleg). Probably depressing to see how many I am missing in order to get a compleete collection, but still I am vey curious of what is available out there.
like the bootlegs YCDTOSA - I have been able to get hold of vol. 11 and 12, and "Gold" (I don't have the "Silver" issue, but I keep looking for it on ebay, and some day it must show up there). Do anyone know if it has been released a volume 7, 8, 9 and 10, and if it is; which concerts these are from? Thanks in advance for your help! Best regards, mrkarlaug/Norway - counting down to June 9th and the ZPZ show at Sentrum Scene in Oslo! This will be my 3rd ZPZ show and if it only is half as good as the previous two, it will be worth seeing/hearing!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 9 of 10 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: