Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1971 05 21 Chicago IL + 1971 08 28 Portland Or ---> 2 shows on 1 review  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Listening (Sessions, Specials, Extras) -> Archived Reviews Forum
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2006-12-27 18:49   [Quote] 
OK, before going on, I have to ask myself a couple of questions...

1- Why am I reviewing not one but two shows from the 1971 tour? I always considered that tour not a failure, but sure one of Frank's dullest. The shows were pretty interesting, and the musicians too. But Flo & Eddie were soo much repetitive sometimes, and they always joked on dicks and groupies and all that stuff. Fortunately the good things were lots more than the bad ones, and after all that tour was almost good.

2- Why am I reviewing those two shows? 21/5 has a shitty sound, and 28/8 is only 15 minutes long! That's a question which I really can't answer. But the 21/5 show is my favourite of the tour. It's true that always shit sounding tapes contains the best shows! OK, let's start...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
21-May 1971, Auditorium Theater(?), Chicago, IL

Lenght: 60 mins
Source: Audience
Sound quality: C/C-

OK, be aware... as I said before the sound quality of this recording REALLY sucks. It's distorted and there's a lot of high end so I have an headache everytime I try to listen to it. Fortunately enough, this is one of Frank's better night in 1971. The tape lacks the first few seconds of "Shove It Right In". Generally I don't like that suite very much, but since this time it's close to impossible to understand the words, I like it more than other nights. One of the weird things about that version is that it doesn't segue into the next song ("Status Back Baby"), but it ends. The taper during the speech stopped the tape, so we miss the very first seconds of "Status Back Baby". What to say about this song? I love it, but it's the same every night. The same goes for the next two songs who are "Concentration Moon" and "Mom & Dad". Both are excellent numbers, but are the same everynight. And "Concentration" doesn't include "The Sanzini Brothers" number in the middle. A shame? Some of you may think yes, some other will be delighted. I personally don't know if I am, because sometimes Flo & Eddie were REALLY funny. After "Mom & Dad", the band tunes a bit, and then it starts one of the main reasons because I love so much this tape: "Twenty Small Cigars". This was a delicious song. That's one of the best instrumental ever composed by Zappa, and unfortunately it was rarely played live. Well, they did that night! And lemme tell you that the live versions of that songs are very very better than the one on "Chunga's Revenge", even if it's slower. The main theme is full, unfortunately, of tape drags and drop out, but you can clearly hear Aynsley's very quiet drums (yeah, he is a rock drummer, but he sure can play jazz as well). After the main theme Ian takes a gentle sax solo, which it's probably his best solo I've ever heard. The first part is almost listenable, but the second has the same horrible drop outs which are on the main theme. By the way, after Ian's solo there is a reprise of the theme, and in concert you get to hear the actual ending which is very violent! imslow
Ah, I almost forgot, the tape here it comes very better than it was perviously for some reasons! From C it goes to B-, and that's very good. You can hear some words which Frank says introducing "Billy The Mountain". Unfortunately you can't understand all, but it should have been funny since the audience is laughing hard! "Intro to Music For Low Budget Orchestra" is still in B- quality, so you can hear this little tiny movement. Unfortunately after a few minutes into "Billy The Mountain" the sound quality bites in, and it's even worse than before (it definitively turns into C-), so the story of tonight is almost completely lost. The "Studebaker Hotch" section, however contains some good soloing, but the sound is so shitty that it's all burried. Then it comes "Tell Me You Love Me", which is so far the only known peroformance by the Flo & Eddie. The song is a great rocker, and it's very similar to the album version as far I understand the "sonic mess". This track is even worse than the other ones: it's FULL of cuts and drop outs, and even some speed problems during the end. During Flo & Eddie's "AAAAAAAAAAH!" which ends the song the tape cuts, and we can't hear nothing else. A great show, interesting set list. Unfortunately all saved in a close to unlistenable tape. Well, you are the judge now: the show is the best of that era, but the sound is C/C-. I personally would download it! If you agree with me here's the link:

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4352

And, on the same CD you can of course burn as a filler...

28-Aug 1971, Portland, OR ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lenght: 15 min
Source: Audience
Sound quality: B+

Well, I don't know if it's just my impression, but that show sounds a lot better than B-. Unfortunately we have only 15 minutes. And sure those 15 minutes are not the most exciting part of a 1971 concert ("Call Any Vegetables" and "Eddie Are You Kidding"). But ,hey, I love "Call Any Vegetables" played by that band, and Frank always do a great solo. Tonight's solo is very good too, but my favourite one is the one played the infamous night of 4/12 in Montreux. Ah, I'd be very curious to know what's the vamp in which Frank says "This is a song about vegetables" at the beginning of the song. Maybe someday, hopefully, the complete master of the show will surface. "Eddie Are You Kidding" is almost hydentical to the version contained in "Just Another Band From LA", just a little bit extended on Flo & Eddie's monologue. The tape cuts just after that song, so it SURE have been extracted from a longer master. A nice filler, can be easily burned on the same CD with the Chicago show!

Here's the link for this (speed corrected): http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4057

Post scriptum: it's my FIRST review here, so I know it probably sucks, but I hope that at least some of you will enjoy this! imslow

Yours truly,
Bastard son!
prost

Zappa Penguin
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2007-01-11 23:53   [Quote] 
The Bastard Son wrote:

1- Why am I reviewing not one but two shows from the 1971 tour? I always considered that tour not a failure, but sure one of Frank's dullest. The shows were pretty interesting, and the musicians too. But Flo & Eddie were soo much repetitive sometimes, and they always joked on dicks and groupies and all that stuff. Fortunately the good things were lots more than the bad ones, and after all that tour was almost good.

It's the voice of your conscience speaking... you know you like F&E, it's just the rigors of a sexless neurotic society that compells you-- wait, you're from Italy? Nevermind, then - I have no idea hmm

As far as dick jokes... the same could be said of the 1984 band... and unlike F&E, the 1984 band never played Call Any Vegetable. Clearly, F&E were a better band Razz

The Bastard Son wrote:

Fortunately enough, this is one of Frank's better night in 1971.

I can't really find myself agreeing - maybe it's just my reaction to the shitty sound quality, but there're several shows with more jams (including a 20 minute CAV on one of the late 1970 tapes, if memory serves me correctly), and hearing Frank on rhythm guitar is always a treat. Some of the shows higher up on my list would be the 11/23/71 Dusseldorf show (really, any show with a complete Intro deserves mention), and the 12/04/71 Montreaux show. 11/23/71 in particular deserves a listen; the King Kong in that is one of the best KK's ever played.

The Bastard Son wrote:
And "Concentration" doesn't include "The Sanzini Brothers" number in the middle. A shame? Some of you may think yes, some other will be delighted. I personally don't know if I am, because sometimes Flo & Eddie were REALLY funny.

True, but Sanzini Brothers tended to be very loud... I get the feeling that if there was a Sanzini Brothers routine on this tape, it'd be near-indecipherable.

The Bastard Son wrote:
"Twenty Small Cigars". This was a delicious song.

Have you heard the 5/22/71 Delaware OH tape? I'd seed samples, but all I have are a couple of cranky old mp3s.

A-/B+ sound, Twenty Small Cigars, Billy, AND a nice extended King Kong... I believe the first mp3 version I heard was from Ninja, and even he couldn't really do much to destroy the sound of this show - might quickly replace this mess as your 1971 favorite Smile

The Bastard Son wrote:
From C it goes to B-, and that's very good. You can hear some words which Frank says introducing "Billy The Mountain".

Not sure if I could give any section of this tape anything higher than a C+ at best. (and that C+ is for the silent moments Razz)

I think part of the reason why this section sounds so nice is that it's comparitively quiet - the taper must have been using a really shitty microphone, which results in all sorts of mattered distortion throughout the set.

The Bastard Son wrote:
Then it comes "Tell Me You Love Me", which is so far the only known peroformance by the Flo & Eddie.

Don't know if I mentioned this publically or not - maybe when I sampled this recording back in April/May or something - but at this point in the tape, the sound quality is so extremely shitty that I truly thought this was a reprise of "Billy the Mountain", with F&E screaming "BILLY THE MOUNTAIN!! BILLY THE MOUNTAIN!!". laughing my ass off

The Bastard Son wrote:
the show is the best of that era, but the sound is C/C-. I personally would download it! If you agree with me here's the link:

Wait till you hear the Delaware tape Wink

The Bastard Son wrote:
Well, I don't know if it's just my impression, but that show sounds a lot better than B-. Unfortunately we have only 15 minutes. And sure those 15 minutes are not the most exciting part of a 1971 concert ("Call Any Vegetables" and "Eddie Are You Kidding").

CAV not the most exciting part of the show? Well, it's not King Kong, but... Razz

The Bastard Son wrote:
Maybe someday, hopefully, the complete master of the show will surface.

I agree. I'd put this very high on my "realistic wish-list".

BTW, the only other known version of E,AYK (8/7/71) was slightly edited for album release... I'll have to go back and make sure, but I get the feeling the edit was in the same section that you describe.

I like how you added links to the shows - mind if I borrow this idea for my own reviews? (could be the start of a Fantastic New Trend.... Wink )
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2007-01-12 17:43   [Quote] 
Zappa Penguin wrote:
Wait till you hear the Delaware tape Wink

Actually I have got that tape, but it doesn't impress me so much! Wink I still prefer this one, but I gotta say that "King Kong" kicks ass! Wink

Zappa Penguin wrote:
I like how you added links to the shows - mind if I borrow this idea for my own reviews? (could be the start of a Fantastic New Trend.... Wink )

Of course! I'll be very happy if I am the first one doing this! Smile

Thanks for commenting my ugly review Smile

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Listening (Sessions, Specials, Extras) -> Archived Reviews Forum All times are GMT

Jump to: