Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
how many of us ever met Frank?
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
mikezappa
Poster
estonia.gif
Post 2006-11-10 12:50   [Quote] 
i'm posting to the thread of "favorite FZ moment" (found here: http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6764) and was thinking that a new thread where we could relate personal close encounters with FZ would be interesting.

i'll tell my tales in my next post. just thought i'd try and get this started.

whatcha think? anyone have a story or three to tell?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
darkbarker
uk.gif
Post 2006-11-10 17:10   [Quote] 
I had a friend who was something of a legendary Zappa fan called Gamma who had ordered an item from Barking Pumpkin back in the 80s which never arrived. He phoned and wrote and wrote and phoned and got no joy whatsoever.

Never short of a bit of 'front', the next time Zappa toured the UK, Gamma found out where he was staying and rang his hotel directly and got put through to Frank's hotel room and voiced his complaints to FZ in person. Zappa, although somewhat taken aback by this bolshy Brit left the money for said item at the reception desk where Gamma happily collected it the next day!

Mind you - I AM talking about a man who was once at a cinema in London watching 200 Motels when his heavily pregnant wife went into labour and despite the fact that he was watching the movie for something like the 7th or 8th time refused to leave before the end! - She had to make her way to the hospital on her own!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2006-11-10 18:02   [Quote] 
darkbarker wrote:
I AM talking about a man who was once at a cinema in London watching 200 Motels when his heavily pregnant wife went into labour and despite the fact that he was watching the movie for something like the 7th or 8th time refused to leave before the end! - She had to make her way to the hospital on her own!

stupidMe
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flyingtoAdel
Contributor
australia.gif
Contributor
Post 2006-11-10 21:14   [Quote] 
I interviewed Flo and Eddie and also Jean-Luc Ponty (both tapes available). Never got closer to FZ than about 10 metres. Would like to have shaken his hand.

Regards,
flyingtoAdel
 [Profile]  [PM] 
LudzNL
Contributor
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2006-11-10 21:34   [Quote] 
flyingtoAdel wrote:
I interviewed Flo and Eddie and also Jean-Luc Ponty (both tapes available)

could you make them available ? sounds great, uncirculated interviews
Thnx Wink

mikezappa
Poster
estonia.gif
Post 2006-11-10 21:43   [Quote] 
great story, darkbarker - i'm hoping that this topic will generate quite a few of these tales.

the first time i met FZ was in 1976 at the Second Chance nightclub in Ann Arbor, Michigan. a friend of mine and myself were at the club and quickly got the word that Zappa was there. the club had a second floor balcony that over-looked the stage and dancefloor and sure enough, there he was, sitting alone (!) at a table right at the balcony railing.

i said to my friend, "let's go say hi", but he was very reluctant. nevertheless, i drug him over there with me and boldly went up to Frank and said "hello, Frank, my name is Mike and this is my friend Jon". Frank said hello and shook our hands. i asked him what he was doing in town and he told us that he was producing a record for Grand Funk Railroad.

"No shit!" i said, "that's a very unlikely combination! how did that happen?" (i didn't think much of GFR). i think Frank could tell that by my incredulous tone and he offered a defense of the band, saying that they were actually quite a good band. i told him that if he was going to be involved with their next record, i would definately buy it.

i started to tell him how much i loved his music and that i'd been a huge fan for almost ten years. he thanked me for that, but just then two really hot chicks came up to him and i kinda lost his attention.

i stood there for awhile and watched Frank chat up the two girls, but then someone came up to me (Bald Headed John?) and told me i should probably give Frank some space, so i said goodbye to Frank, shook his hand again and retreated to a nearby table where my friend and i stared from a distance until Frank got up and left (with the girls - lol).

i'll save the story of my second meeting for another posting.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2006-11-11 11:50   [Quote] 
I know a franch journalist named Philippe Paringaux who met him in 1972. I've heard that he was a nice guy, very intelligent.

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
CrabCake
Contributor
france.gif
Contributor
Post 2006-11-11 12:43   [Quote] 
mikezappa wrote:
he thanked me for that, but just then two really hot chicks came up to him and i kinda lost his attention.

Laughing
Given that, we can deduct that you are not a hot chick Very Happy
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mikezappa
Poster
estonia.gif
Post 2006-11-11 15:23   [Quote] 
no crabcake, i'm not - Laughing

...but i am a hot 50-yr old male - Wink

c'mon people - doesn't ANYONE have any stories????
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flyingtoAdel
Contributor
australia.gif
Contributor
Post 2006-11-11 21:21   [Quote] 
LudzNL wrote:
flyingtoAdel wrote:
I interviewed Flo and Eddie and also Jean-Luc Ponty (both tapes available)

could you make them available ? sounds great, uncirculated interviews
Thnx Wink

I'd be happy if there is interest. The 'talk' with Flo and Eddie goes for more than an hour. It was done in a room at the Southern Cross Hotel (now demolished). Jean-Luc Ponty is much shorter and was done at a TV studio with a break for his TV appearance (I may even have a tape of that somewhere!). I will need to capture the tapes, etc. What forum is best?

Regards,
flyingtoAdel
 [Profile]  [PM] 
LudzNL
Contributor
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2006-11-11 21:49   [Quote] 
Quote:
What forum is best?

it would think FZ Interviews/Radio Shows
thanks fta

mrmike
Power Poster
Post 2006-11-12 02:35   [Quote] 
I attended the filming of Bill Boggs Midday Live in NY. After the show, FZ, one of Bill's guests, signed autographs in the lobby. On his way out of the elevator, he came down the hall towards me and said "What's up". I was standing in his way, speachless, and moved back to let him go. after he signed my building pass a girl asked him to sign DISCO SUCKS on her pass. He fucked it up. I saw it as he was handing it back to her, it looked like he wrote DISCO SUY. I asked him "Disco Suy Frank, disco suy?" He returned the pass into his view and corrected it to read DISCO SUKS. He then held it about an inch from my nose. I looked at his bodyguard who was leering at me, and anticipating the worst, I got the fuck out of there.

BTW, during one of the commercial breaks, the camera zoomed in on me. I was the kid with the dark brown floppy hat and bright red flannel shirt. Is the footage seeded here at Zappateers? I haven't seen it in 20 years.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
mikezappa
Poster
estonia.gif
Post 2006-11-12 12:30   [Quote] 
another cool story! thanks mrmike!

so that makes two of us so far (outa, what, over 7,000 zappateers??!!)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mrmike
Power Poster
Post 2006-11-12 14:36   [Quote] 
Well, we cheated MZ. We went to him and everyone else was waiting for him to go to them.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2006-11-12 14:37   [Quote] 
My pics from The Real Frank Zappa Book booking signing in NYC.
Meeting FZ on that day was a dream come true!
Enjoy!!

http://jaypfunk.home.comcast.net/zappabooksigning/zappabooksigning.html

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 7 Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: