Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1966 12 21 NY - "In The Beginning" Interview 95min (globual)
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Interviews/Radio Shows
DL-List
Complete: [ 277 ]

globual
Busy Poster
canada.gif
Post 2006-02-16 20:59   [Quote] 
here's a delightful little morsel which I understand hasn't been circulated widely. A set of two CDs came recently in a snail-mail trade from JC in Denver. No lineage or other information (no name of the interviewer or the radio station) is available at this point. Maybe some of you know more. The interview is 95:04 and is an absolute treat with FZ talking for about 90 minutes of it at length on various topics such as how the original Mothers got together and the numerous transformations they went through, the complete story of Freak Out, plans and layouts for the next album, the kind of music FZ likes, the kind of equipment the band has to play the sort of music they want to, and some gossip about reviews of the Mothers' shows and the strange circumstances under which they were written, to name a few. Pretty decent sound quality as well, a comfortable listen. It seems that this set was transferred from two sides of a C-90 cassette, possibly one of these longer, C-90+3. Hard to say. Extracted in EAC and retracked in WaveLab. I split it into 10 more or less arbitrarily selected tracks (whenever possible, I tried to do it topically) which were titled often according to the first words spoken by FZ in the section. Enjoy

globual
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2006-02-16 21:18   [Quote] 
Thanks globual,

Could this be "In The Beginning"?

http://lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/weirdo/interview.html (see the bottom of that page)

Also, this was around not long ago, though not seeded here; http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=19058

I didn't get it then for some strange reason, so this is for me Wink

Last edited by BengoFury on 2006-02-16 21:21; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
amnesiavivace
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2006-02-16 21:22   [Quote] 
seems the same stuff as this (actually 95 minutes long):

Quote:

Frank Zappa
Interview 12-21-1966
NY, New York

?>DAT>Sek'D ProdifPro96>wav>CDWAV>SHN

A relatively interesting interview with Frank Zappa prior to the release of the Absolutely Free album. As usual, he is quite open and honest in his comments.

Regarding psychedelic music "BULLSHIT -- It's crazy music, can't understand it" and "white guys trying to play black"

Worth a listen for the hardcore fan, reasonable quality except towards the end when it gets a bit ragged. Tracking is a bit arbitrary, based on subject changes.

Here's what I found on the 'net that may well be about this tape:

In the Beginning

This interview CD was planned for release in October 1999, but it was never released, for whatever reason - financial, or legal?

Anyway, back then, Spencer Kelly promoted the release like this (forwarded via Geir Corneliussen):

I am from a small commercial record company in the UK, who, next month will be issuing an unheard Zappa interview conducted in 1966 (please see the press release below) ...

Frank Zappa - In the Beginning - Interview CD.

In The Beginning is the first serious in-depth interview with the incomparable composer/bandleader/guitarist/social commentator, Frank Zappa.

Recorded in late December 1966, shortly after the release of The Mothers' debut album, Freak Out!, this hour-long conversation showcases the full range of Zappa's knife-edged intelligence, keen insights, enthusiastic energy, incisive wit and grandiose ambitions.

Don Paulsen was one of the 1960's most prolific interviewers and photographers.

The New York-based journalist was able to extract the most candid and revealing interviews from a huge array of famous artists who helped shape that remarkable decade. To this day his photographs adorn galleries all around the world.

The Classic Interview Series captures not only these fascinating interviews but contains previously unseen photographs taken during the actual interview within a 6-sided digipak, creating a poignant picture of the era and the artists that made it so memorable.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
globual
Busy Poster
canada.gif
Post 2006-02-16 21:36   [Quote] 
thanks Bengo and amnesiavivace. That's the one!

globual
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2006-02-16 22:03   [Quote] 
This is a great listen and Frank really sounds like a young man, adopting voices while telling stories and saying "man" alot. Very revealing interview....fab time to be had.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
zootknuckle
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2006-02-16 22:50   [Quote] 
Looking forward to hearing this.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
enggopah
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2006-02-17 13:08   [Quote] 
You say "Pretty decent sound quality as well, a comfortable listen"

In my notes, I say
"bad tape noise and drop outs d2t4-10" (disc 2 tracks 4-10)

Your length looks like it's probably the same as the one seeded at EZT a while back... I dunno...

AGI
Site Admin
italy.gif
Post 2006-02-17 23:51   [Quote] 
ty globual
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mathemusician
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2006-02-18 01:52   [Quote] 
Thank You!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Silk Chariot
usa.gif
Post 2006-02-18 19:02   [Quote] 
Wow...Great Seed...many thanks, Globual!

quick question....Frank mentions that he played on a Barry Goldberg Session...???...w/ Mike Bloomfield???...might anyone have info on this?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [AIM] 
Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2006-02-20 04:50   [Quote] 
Thanks for seeding this globual! I missed this one before the EZTree shutdown. cooler

Kind regards,
Overnitefreak
 [Profile]  [PM] 
tungarbulb
usa.gif
Post 2006-02-24 06:04   [Quote] 
Why this never got circulated or transcribed and published back in the day I'll never know. At least we have a chance to hear it now.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
redrum
ireland.gif
Post 2006-03-05 20:20   [Quote] 
any chance of some more seeds on this please? downloading at 1KBps..
 [Profile]  [PM]  [MSN] 
tungarbulb
usa.gif
Post 2006-03-06 03:35   [Quote] 
Lemme see what I can do. I have some urgent off-line obligations, but then I'll dig out the DVD I've got the torrent saved to and slap it back onto my hard drive, probably within the next 2 or 3 days (cable company is re-wiring my block so that might cause delay too).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Alfie
Busy Poster
belgium.gif
Post 2006-06-07 08:37   [Quote] 
This must be something!

I'm begging for a seeder!

Anyone? Please!

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Interviews/Radio Shows All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: