Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
In the change in the taste of music, more and more musicians are not finding enough opportunities to give concerts!
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-03-04 01:04   [Quote] 
I received the following email from one of my favorite live clubs today - and I didn't really expect that:

-----

"The planned performance of Dean Brown with his band on May 8, 2020 will not take place.
The reason for this is banal:
The musicians don't find enough performance options - so Dean, like Terry Bozzio and Michael Landau before,
is involved in the change in the taste of music - a shame!

We will reserve our place in our club for all named musicians in the future ..."

-----

I was really looking forward to Dean Brown - but that won't happen anymore! disbelief

What is your opinion on this subject?

Last edited by Pittylabelle on 2020-03-04 02:06; edited 4 times in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2020-03-04 01:10   [Quote] 
I don’t understand.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-03-04 01:11   [Quote] 
vivalapsych wrote:
I don’t understand.

Why not?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
SpacemanJr
australia.gif
Post 2020-03-04 01:22   [Quote] 
Can someone explain what the term 'performance options' means? Does it mean other places they can play?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-03-04 01:37   [Quote] 
SpacemanJr wrote:
Can someone explain what the term 'performance options' means? Does it mean other places they can play?

"Opportunities to give a concert" Wink

I am assuming that they did not get enough opportunities to give a concert when planning their tour
and now they have to cancel some announced concerts because it would be too expensive to traveling there.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
SpacemanJr
australia.gif
Post 2020-03-04 01:49   [Quote] 
Pittylabelle wrote:
"Opportunities to give a concert" Wink

I am assuming that they did not get enough opportunities to give a concert when planning their tour
and now they have to cancel some announced concerts because it would be too expensive to traveling there.

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up. So ... that sucks.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-03-04 02:09   [Quote] 
"In the change in the taste of music"

Well, that's understandable - but what exactly does that mean?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2020-03-04 07:18   [Quote] 
Not sure what the intention of this thread is. New generations of concertgoers have limited interested in the music their grand parents are into, while the latter tend to stay on the couch (instead of seeing Bozzio for the nth time... alone the chance of not finding a parking spot near the club might be a #1 reason not to go). Also younger musicians usually will play for less money? There's various mechanisms shaping the clubs' concert calendars.

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2020-03-04 09:54   [Quote] 
Pittylabelle wrote:
"In the change in the taste of music"

Well, that's understandable - but what exactly does that mean?

I think there could be a few minor translation issues here... (as I think the misunderstanding with the words ''options'' and ''opportunities'' demonstrated...)

It seems to me that the word ''taste'' could be slightly misleading too... I think they probably meant to say something like ''The changing behaviour of today's music consumer'' ie: not going to gigs anymore (and getting their music fix in other ways)...

Well, whatever it all means it's sad..
I was lucky enough to be a teenager when a lot of fantastic gigs took place... A few highlights would be... Led Zeppelin at Earl's Court in 1975, Frank at Hammy Odeon in '77, '78 & '79, The Who at Earl's Court (loudest gig I ever went to), Bob Marley at Crystal Palace (before he got banned for his fans being ''too rowdy''), The Knebworth Festival (which involved the ''melon incident''), Pink Floyd doing The Wall about 10 times at Earl's Court. Plus many, many punk and reggae gig at smaller venues like The 100 Club or The Venue in Victoria (Where I saw Aswad doing some ''live dub'' music!)

I don't go to as many gigs now... I don't get the same out of them... but that's because I'm old, I wouldn't exchange my teenage/20's gig experiences for anything! They were a massive part of my and my friends lifestyles.
It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be enough incentives for artists to play as many gigs now as before.. It means people missing out on experiencing music the way I did.. (and the best way to experience it IMO)

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-03-04 13:45   [Quote] 
cookie_manager wrote:
Not sure what the intention of this thread is.

@ cookie_manager
@ father-Oblivion

My intention was to discuss exactly about the things you mentioned.

Thanks for your opinions.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2020-03-04 14:20   [Quote] 
Yes, unfortunately the live music scene is just another victim of ''progress'' I'm afraid...

As cookie mentioned there are lots of reasons why opportunities to play are dwindling... At the end of the day market forces rule and, in London at least, that means renting out any space you have rather than keeping a live music venue operating... As to whether anything can be done about it I don't know, but I doubt it.... If there's little interest and no money in it anyway then it won't happen.
As I said above, I think it's a real shame. I can't really think of anything else to say on the matter....

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2020-03-04 17:33   [Quote] 
Definitely a translation issue. I think "involved in" should be replaced with "a victim of" to get the meaning.

Since getting old, having kids (which means finding a babysitter), I realize that the appeal of going to live music just isn't there for me like it used to be.

In my 20s, piling in a car with like-minded friends for a roadtrip to a neighboring big city wasn't given a second thought. Standing room only and you're right in front of the stage and have to piss? You just hold it because maybe the next song will be killer and you don't want to lose your spot!

Now, I'd only consider going to a show if it's in a venue with assigned seats. And even then, people still frequently stand for some reason.

Never mind that there's less and less touring acts I care about.

Another factor is that there is so much live music captured on video that is available for consumption.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2020-03-04 21:54   [Quote] 
oofers wrote:
Another factor is that there is so much live music captured on video that is available for consumption.
I downright studied various live videos by St. Vincent from around 2014/15. When I saw her in concert soon after I wasn't impressed, because I already was familiar with the proceedings. So I saw for myself how having concert footage can change the perception of live music in a negative way.

I'm not sure it's correct to say there's less live music happening. Being active in a local group of improv people, I'm sending out press materials to the papers and keep checking the concert calendars in those papers. There's tons of stuff happening, albeit very much on an independent level with lots of people who play for fun and little money, all in clubs that don't get official support. Not sure how somebody like Bozzio fits into that, a legendary figure, but not a star attracting many people.

I saw Swans, P.I.L., DAF, King Crimson in recent years. I went out in the middle of the PIL and Swans shows, KC had three songs that impressed me, DAF were... well, ok. Are those musicians from the 70s/80s getting better? No. I wouldn't attend a concert of any of those bands a second time. There might be a change of taste, but in the other camp there also might be a change of inspiration, quality and relevance.

franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2020-03-05 00:00   [Quote] 
Generally agree with the sentiments above. These days it takes a lot to get me off the sofa and into a rock / club concert arena with less than pristine environments. Videos of concerts on line are definitely a double edged sword. It destroys the 'mystery' of the concert / performer which is a big part of the draw. I might still go a to "proper" classical concert hall though. imslow
 [Profile]  [PM] 
LeifH
canada.gif
Post 2020-03-05 03:03   [Quote] 
I find it really lame that a lot of groups play to a click track in their ears, and in some cases, some bands are actually playing along to their album+click track (especially metal/hardcore groups).
I can understand a show like Roger Waters with a LOT of visual cues. Or even if just the drummer uses click for technical music. But it kinda takes away from the LIVE aspect IMO when the band is essentially playing to a track. That's what makes (made) live music good, is the human aspect, the fuck ups, imperfections, improv, etc.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 4 Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: