Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Zappa band + King Crimson tour
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
epistrophy
mongolia.gif
Post 2020-02-23 03:46   [Quote] 
Twilkes wrote:
ivester wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
Arf_arf_arf wrote:
Caught 4 shows with the alumni band at the Baked Potato in Studio City a few weeks back. Ian Underwood satvin along with Jamie (ZPZ) and Toshi Yamagi from Jimmy Kimmel's band - no Ed (and I'm fairly certain he is not on the tour)

I seem to remember someone mentioned the lineup planned for this tour, no Ed.

I wish they could coax Ruth out of retirement!

I felt that with the power of the drums, bass and guitar that the Holo band had, the percussion got a bit lost, so I'm not sure that would be the best vehicle for a Ruthvival. The addition of Jamie Kime seems to reinforce this.

I donít think I heard a single note Ed played at the London hologram show sadly.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
fuji
Post 2020-02-25 21:03   [Quote] 
I wish they could coax Ruth out of retirement![/quote]

Ruth came to the baked potato and was in audience in Aug but did not play. I got to meet her and was a totally fan girl Embarassed
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2020-02-25 23:14   [Quote] 
Twilkes wrote:
The addition of Jamie Kime seems to reinforce this.

A third guitarist says to me that planning more touring could clash with MKs current commitments with other tours such as Devlin T, so having Jamie up to speed would make sense...
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
scherbe2003
Post 2020-02-26 01:55   [Quote] 
vivalapsych wrote:
One thing I know, if itís a Crimson show itís gonna be pricey.

Really? I last saw them 2018 in Europe and the tix were almost cheap compared to other acts.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
LeifH
canada.gif
Post 2020-02-26 02:18   [Quote] 
scherbe2003 wrote:
vivalapsych wrote:

Really? I last saw them 2018 in Europe and the tix were almost cheap compared to other acts.

Amsterdam 2018 cost me 84 Euros for balcony (plus 8 Euro fee)
Pompeii was 69 Euros (plus 6-7 Euro fee) general admission save for the first few rows of "royal seating"
Toronto 2019 was $79CAD plus $20 in fees (ticket bastard) for 300 level, up close was more like $150 plus fees

Not that bad for an 8 piece band compared to what other acts charge these days.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
LeifH
canada.gif
Post 2020-02-26 23:10   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
Twilkes wrote:

A third guitarist says to me that planning more touring could clash with MKs current commitments with other tours such as Devlin T, so having Jamie up to speed would make sense...

I read that in the Thing Fish voice. Dev'lin Townsindh
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scherbe2003
Post 2020-02-27 00:20   [Quote] 
LeifH wrote:
scherbe2003 wrote:
vivalapsych wrote:

Amsterdam 2018 cost me 84 Euros for balcony (plus 8 Euro fee)
Pompeii was 69 Euros (plus 6-7 Euro fee) general admission save for the first few rows of "royal seating"
Toronto 2019 was $79CAD plus $20 in fees (ticket bastard) for 300 level, up close was more like $150 plus fees

Not that bad for an 8 piece band compared to what other acts charge these days.

Yeah, In Vienna 2018 the price range was Ä95 (category A) to Ä55 (category D). My seat was either cat. B (Ä78) or C (Ä66), i.e. somewhere in the middle of the hall, row 22 or so. McLaughlin and Corea in the same venue and about the same seat row 9 years earlier (2009) was Ä120, if memory serves. And for acts like Springsteen, the Stones or U2, who play the stadion, tickets start around Ä100 and go up to Ä800.

But who knows, maybe the Crim are the cheapsters and the Zappa Band are the pricey ones? Laughing
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scottthunes
Post 2020-03-04 17:57   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
Twilkes wrote:

Nope. I wouldn't do this gig without Mike K. Nobody else would, either. The addition of Jamie is to have another lead-type instrument to perform melodic harmonies while another instrument does actual harmonic support (or for full three-part harmonies like in latter section of Echidna). With Mike, Robert, Ray, and Jamie we have all bases covered, combinatorially-speaking. He is merely a physical replacement for Ed's prodigious skills. Anybody who was at the Baked Potato shows (who had seen the Holo tour) knew that it would have been physically impossible for Ed to be there. Even Toshi and Jamie had to move Ray out of his middle spot to jam with us.

So, Jamie is in because Jamie is awesome and we love him.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Thinman
EU.gif
Post 2020-03-04 21:04   [Quote] 
I had seen Jamie with Banned From Utopia (with Ray, Bobby, Chad, Albert and Tom) in 2014 (?) and he was awesome. I think he didn't get the attention he deserves when he was with Zappa Plays Zappa.

McMick
Post 2020-03-04 21:54   [Quote] 
What do you guys think the odds are that any of these shows wind up on Youtube or somewhere for us folks who can't attend?

[Profile]  [PM] 
TwentySmallCigars
canada.gif
Post 2020-03-05 02:11   [Quote] 
McMick wrote:
What do you guys think the odds are that any of these shows wind up on Youtube or somewhere for us folks who can't attend?

Slim to none. Both bands are highly protective of their live performances.

There are no Dweezil shows on this forum and hardly any King Crimson shows posted anywhere else as they have most of them for sale on their own site.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
LeifH
canada.gif
Post 2020-03-05 03:05   [Quote] 
Some people are gonna have to travel to these shows. Getting impatient. Release the dates.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bazbo
Power Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2020-03-05 05:46   [Quote] 
scottthunes wrote:
TPS wrote:
Twilkes wrote:

Nope. I wouldn't do this gig without Mike K. Nobody else would, either. The addition of Jamie is to have another lead-type instrument to perform melodic harmonies while another instrument does actual harmonic support (or for full three-part harmonies like in latter section of Echidna). With Mike, Robert, Ray, and Jamie we have all bases covered, combinatorially-speaking. He is merely a physical replacement for Ed's prodigious skills. Anybody who was at the Baked Potato shows (who had seen the Holo tour) knew that it would have been physically impossible for Ed to be there. Even Toshi and Jamie had to move Ray out of his middle spot to jam with us.

So, Jamie is in because Jamie is awesome and we love him.

Kewl. Thankz for your explanation.

Guitar Solo Baz

'ALL FOR ONE, ONE FOR ALL'
- for Walk(spoon) - gone, but never forgotten

www.bazbo.net
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2020-03-05 06:31   [Quote] 
I saw ZPZ w/Jaime and his featured solo was the one that made the night.
Liked everything about the dude. He had the proper Zappa band presence
and glad to see he's part of the upcoming tour.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2020-03-05 06:33   [Quote] 
scottthunes wrote:

Nope. I wouldn't do this gig without Mike K. Nobody else would, either.

But I would show up if he wasn't there. But then as you say there would be no there there.
So there.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 3 of 5 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: