Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
a_long_rambling_blog_post_about_the_frank_zappa_vinyl_releases  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2020-02-06 10:13   [Quote] 
Here's a link to something shared on our facebook page.

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/a_long_rambling_blog_post_about_the_frank_zappa_vinyl_releases

Quote:
I had no idea until recently that these albums were done with this level of quality control. I assumed—incorrectly—that they were sourced from the 2012 Zappa CD remasters

Please support Zappateers.com

Chords that vibrate sweetest pleasure,
Thrill the deepest notes of wo.
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/TPSzappateer
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
mb666
Poster
germany.gif
Post 2020-02-07 18:12   [Quote] 
Thanks. I really enjoyed reading this.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
burma.gif
Post 2020-02-07 18:35   [Quote] 
a great piece causing me to spend £96!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2020-02-07 19:19   [Quote] 
Made me spend nothing cause I already possess them all Smile

But a great blog post!
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
poldino
Busy Poster
uk.gif
Post 2020-02-09 17:50   [Quote] 
"There’s just something inherently “better” about analog audio. Our ears seem to like it more, probably because it’s reproducing music as soundwaves, not snatches of zeros and ones."

This is such bullshit. A quick counter from someone who knows what he's talking about (ie a professional recording engineer, responsible for many of the greatest Jazz albums), Rudy Van Gelder:

"The biggest distorter is the LP itself. I've made thousands of LP masters. I used to make 17 a day, with two lathes going simultaneously, and I'm glad to see the LP go. As far as I'm concerned, good riddance. It was a constant battle to try to make that music sound the way it should. It was never any good. And if people don't like what they hear in digital, they should blame the engineer who did it. Blame the mastering house. Blame the mixing engineer. That's why some digital recordings sound terrible, and I'm not denying that they do, but don't blame the medium."

Zappa said much the same. (Yeah, he screwed up some of the CD releases, but that's Frank being deaf or whatever, not a weakness of digital audio).

The best sound you're going to get is with a flac file feeding a DAC/Amp combination (cheap as chips these days) driving whatever speakers/headphones you can afford. All that spinning plastic crap with its inherent distortion, dynamic range etc etc is strictly for hipsters, retro-fetishists and old folk.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2020-02-09 18:45   [Quote] 
''Digital audio'' is a fairly useless term as there are so many different versions of 'digital audio'...

Also, 17 seems a strange daily output when you have two lathes going simultaneously….

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Jim Lahey
Post 2020-02-09 20:07   [Quote] 
If one guy is cutting "17 a day, with two lathes going simultaneously" no fucking wonder he says "good riddance." Where's the quality control in that? Then he says "blame the engineer who did it" with regards to if it sounds terrible...well if by extension he means "blame the engineer" if it sounds fantastic, well then that's why all his records sound great, he was a master recordist. Kinda makes and breaks the argument for me. It's always just been a matter of preference in my book, as plenty of records sound better than their digital counterparts and as well as the other way around.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: