Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Society Pages USA Issue 1 Scans - 1990 04 The Fanzine of the International Frank Zappa Society (robsam)  
DL-List
Complete: [ 94 ]

robsam
Contributor
thailand.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-11-01 04:41   [Quote] 
Socisty Pages USA Fanzine Scans 1990 04 Wantagh, NY and Vallejo, CA Hi Quality Scans of Society Pages USA Issue 1 (Rob Samler, Den Simms & Eric Buxton)

.info : from rob Samler
These are high quality scans of the first Society Pages USA created in April 1990. The main man was Den Dimms and
it really was his magazine since he did the majority of the writing. It's too bad he suffered a nervous breakdown or
whatever the fuck happened to him. He could have been a leading author and authority on all things Frank if things
had gone differently for him..
I did a lot of the bookkeeping, mailing lists, new member recruitment, etc. Basically I was the bookkeeper and it was a
lot of work with a dot matrix printed, an Apple II and no stamp machine.

Eric Buxton printed the first couple of issues but but he was really difficult to get a long with in a biznis sense.
He was fun to party with with but he was really undependable in many ways. He also didn't get along with Den
at all and so I was always stuck in the middle. But giving Eric the credit he deserves, most importantly he got his
big hoof into Frank's door and house! If it weren't for Eric's friendship with Frank we never would have gotten to
interview him twice or even visit his house. For this I will be eternally grateful to Eric.

Den went to music school with Scott "Mr Yuck" Thunes and was very knowledgeable about Frank's music. Den
conducted the interviews which Frank obviously enjoyed and the named the first 4.5 hour interview we did "The
Interview of the Century". I personally think it's one of the best interviews Frank ever did in his career. We probably
never would have know what "Rang Tang Ding Dong. I am the Japanese Sandman was in reference to if not for
those interviews. Eric and myself asked the occasional oddball questions like "Who is Manny the camper and why
does he want to buy some white gas?" That was Eric's question. Frank told him at one point "Don't eat the brown
acid!" I asked Frank about how it came about that Hit Tuna opened for the Nassau Coliseum show in 1988. He
looked right me with the that typical Zappa stare and said in a stern voice, "It wasn't me idea!" Then he smiled
and laughed and said "only in New York." I forget what other silly questions I asked Frank but I did make his laugh
a few times and for me it's a proud personal achievement to make Frank laugh...."Jingle your ornaments Frank!"

I did get to ask Frank the following crucial question to Frank during our second interview...

"From Society Pages #7 http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/Interview_with_Rob_Samler
Interview with Rob Samler from 1/12/91

Rob - What do you think happens to us when we die?
Frank - Dust.

Rob - That's pretty much what I think. We become worm food.
Frank - Yeah, unless of course you're cremated ... BUT ... I will say, and this doesn't put you in the realm of metaphysics, that something animates you while you are alive. There's an electrochemical process that animates this bag of shit that everybody has to drag around, OK? So it is not impossible that at the point where the electro-chemical process that's motivating the bag of shit ceases to be strong enough to make that bag of shit move around, that energy may be exchanged, and may dissipate and have an existence of its own without the bag of shit. I wouldn't want to extrapolate that into the world of ghosts and goblins ...

Rob - Right. I mean, it's hard to say, since ...
Frank - Well, I believe that those energies and processes exist. I just don't think that they've been adequately described or adequately named yet, because people are too willing to make it all into something that supports a religious theory of one flavor or another. If you start defining these things in nuts-and-bolts scientific terms, people reject it because it's not fun, y'know. It takes some of the romance out of being dead ...

Frank - (laughs) Right.
... because of people's desires to have eternal life and to extend their influence from beyond the grave ... all that Houdini type stuff ... but basically, I think when you're dead ... you're dead. It comes with the territory.

All: (laughter)

Thanks all for me for now. I named the scans the way I named them. I tried to follow the naming convention for the
torrent tiles, torrent file and info files. I'll have lots more to add later but I am exhausted. Don't let your meat loaf!!!

Thanks Frank! Music is the BEST! (FZ)

Last edited by robsam on 2019-11-03 04:46; edited 2 times in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Bakke
Poster
sweden.gif
Post 2019-11-01 07:56   [Quote] 
Thanks a lot.

marinus
Poster
norway.gif
Post 2019-11-01 08:16   [Quote] 
Should be a great read, thank you very much!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-11-01 08:53   [Quote] 
Thank you very much Rob, a deserved recognition of your work Exclamation

It's great to have the numbers scanned, despite having the originals Wink
 [Profile]  [PM] 
frank2441
Power Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2019-11-01 09:32   [Quote] 
Thanks
 [Profile]  [PM] 
dannyv21
uk.gif
Post 2019-11-01 09:47   [Quote] 
many thanks!!

robsam
Contributor
thailand.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-11-01 12:04   [Quote] 
Den didn't start numbering the pages until issue 2. Issue one was a pain in the rectum to scan. I hope I got all the page orders correct!

oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-11-01 18:06   [Quote] 
Rob, I became a fan right about the time FZ died. I once a had a long car trip where I listened to the big interview straight through. I was blown away. Besides the questions being great, it struck me how he respected you. The disgust you often see in FZ when he is being interviewed by some tool who knows nothing about his career, for some publication or TV show he doesn't give a shit about -- well the big interview was the diametric opposite of that, wasn't it? You can tell he appreciated you, and you were basically a stand-in for all the serious fans. It was like he was giving you those 3 hours (or whatever it was) to all of us.

Didn't even know about Society Pages until the internet let me learn that such things existed. Needless to say, I am looking very forward to this.

For every asshole that steals your pics without credit, know that there are many more of us that appreciate you taking the time to scan this and share it. I'd go so far to say that it's important work you're doing, digitizing this.

Much thanks.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
GBHT
usa.gif
Post 2019-11-01 19:52   [Quote] 
Thanx man.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [Yahoo] 
PaulusS
Power Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2019-11-02 00:37   [Quote] 
Thanks Rob

pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-11-02 01:08   [Quote] 
Thanks. I spoke to Den once in the late 90's. He sounded ok. Although I paid for more issues of Society Pages than I received, the ones I did get were worth far more to me than $4 apiece (or whatever the price was).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
galactictkd
usa.gif
Post 2019-11-02 03:29   [Quote] 
Thanks for your hard work! It is very much appreciated!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
thailand.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-11-03 04:08   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
Thanks. I spoke to Den once in the late 90's. He sounded ok. Although I paid for more issues of Society Pages than I received, the ones I did get were worth far more to me than $4 apiece (or whatever the price was).

I asked Thunes is he had talked to or been in contact with Den when I saw the Non Hologram shows in LA in August. He said he hadn't heard from him in about 10 years. Then later on Scott was sitting by himself in the main room of the Baked Potato quietly staring at the wall. I asked Mike Keneally "What's wrong with Scott?" Mike replied, "That's how Scott is (or something very close to that). I though it a little strange. I tried to talk to him but he didn't want to converse so I left him alone. I have to say that I think Scot's bass laying is better now than any time he played with Frank. The man can playing the low end beast that's for sure. But I would trade Arthur Barrow for Scott in a heartbeat. Personally I think Arthur is better musician, composer, contributor, FZ knowledge base, etc. than Scott. Plus he's an extremely nice guy and he was only the clonemeister for 3 tours and also rehearsed several of the FZ bands he didn't tour with.

I'm not trying to make this into a Scott bashing thread. I think he got enough abuse in 1988 so I'll just leave it at that. Scott's got a weird personality. I ain't one to criticize anyone for that with my history of mental problems!

If anyone knows how to get in touch with Den Simms whose last known whereabouts were in Napa. California last I spoke to him many years ago. If anyone can put me in touch with Den Simms please send me an PM.

Same goes for the guy with the big hoof...Eric Buxton. I knew him when he lived in Levittown, NY on Stevedore Lane. I know he's not there anymore and I have some forensic internet information that he may have moved to Pennsylvania. I'd really like to get back in touch with either and or both of them if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2019-11-03 04:13   [Quote] 
Stuff of legends! Thanks Rob! Into the 2nd decade of the 21st century and here we are! imslow
 [Profile]  [PM] 
varanasibull
Poster
germany.gif
Post 2019-12-10 00:19   [Quote] 
This is just wonderful!! Thank you very much.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT

Jump to: