Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Hot Rats Anniversary
Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Oops
uk.gif
Post 2019-09-09 14:34   [Quote] 
Lots of mentioning about this in other posts. Has it been confirmed or is it wishful thinking.
Also what happened to Lost Episodes 2?
Finally on Greasy Love Songs, Frank mentions they are going in the studio to record a second Ruben & Jets album, did anything ever get put down on tape?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-09-09 19:09   [Quote] 
Once or twice people have mentioned Keneally saying at gigs that the Hot Rats anniversary release will happen.

Guessing Lost Episodes 2 went by the wayside, and also the second Ruben album, although they did record a few more Ruben-type songs (e.g. "WPLJ").
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-09-09 19:24   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
Guessing Lost Episodes 2 went by the wayside, and also the second Ruben album, although they did record a few more Ruben-type songs (e.g. "WPLJ").

Chucha was recorded at Criteria Studios and released on Mystery Disc.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-09-09 20:20   [Quote] 
Joe confirmed here: "Hot Rats anniversary is this year"
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Minkukel
netherlands.gif
Post 2019-09-09 22:15   [Quote] 
Al Fresco wrote:

He doesn't say an anniversary record is coming this year, just that the anniversary of Hot Rats is this year. Unless I'm missing something.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-09-09 23:11   [Quote] 
Minkukel wrote:
Al Fresco wrote:

He doesn't say an anniversary record is coming this year, just that the anniversary of Hot Rats is this year. Unless I'm missing something.

Well, this is not my interpretation but they are talking about the edition of anniversary boxes.

Rob wrote: "I also asked Joe about the Hot Rats anniversary edition that is coming out sooner than 2022. "
Joe wrote: "Hot Rats anniversary is this year"
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-09-09 23:23   [Quote] 
Need something to buy the nieces & nephews for Christmas, yea?
But as mentioned::::with the book coming out and it being one of Frank's most celebrated records,
it ought to be this year. It's a money-making-PR-machine!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-09-10 00:59   [Quote] 
With Ahmet being involved in the book and Dweezil performing the album on tour, it seems likely to me that the anniversary release will happen this year.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
thailand.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-09-10 09:47   [Quote] 

https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781493047758/The-Hot-Rats-Book-A-Fifty-Year-Retrospective-of-Frank-Zappa%E2%80%99s-Hot-Rats

The Hot Rats Book
A Fifty-Year Retrospective of Frank Zappa’s Hot Rats
Bill Gubbins - With Ahmet Zappa
"A movie for your ears" is how rock icon Frank Zappa first described his album Hot Rats, which remains, 50 years after its release, not only one of Zappa's most critically acclaimed and commercially successful albums, but a stunning tour-de-force of the totality of his musical genius and legendary skills as a composer, lyricist, producer, arranger, studio innovator and virtuoso guitar player.

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of this much-loved LP, Ahmet Zappa and the Zappa Family Trust have teamed with Backbeat Books and Bill Gubbins, the only photographer to document the Hot Rats sessions, to create The Making of Hot Rats, a deluxe, commemorative book packed with never-been-seen-before photos, interviews, and intimate insights into the creation of this masterwork.

As a special bonus for Zappa fans everywhere, the book also contains Gubbins' exclusive performance and behind-the-scenes photos of the last U.S. show of the original Mothers of Invention on August 10, 1969 at Cleveland's Musicarnival in Warrensville Heights, Ohio.

Though primarily known as a national magazine editor (Creem, Moviegoer, CountryWeekly), media innovator (the Channel One in-school TV network) and virtual reality pioneer (iPIX), Bill Gubbins is also an accomplished photographer whose work has appeared in the New York Times and Rolling Stone and been the subject of solo exhibits in the U.S. and Europe. Gubbins had just turned 19 when Zappa invited him to document the Hot Rats sessions after being interviewed by him following the Musicarnival show.

It's a great fucking time to be a Zappa fan!!!

prbprbprb
switzerland.gif
Post 2019-09-10 10:03   [Quote] 
If there are plans to do an anniversary box - in general, not just Hot Rats - postponing its release beyond 50 years seems like a pretty dumb idea. For that would mean new musical content contained therein would automatically fall into the public domain as far as copyright in the EU is concerned the minute the box is released, so anyone could legally copy and sell the contents the next day at a knock down price (and not just in the EU but to the rest of the world as well, via Amazon Germany, France, etc), minus the silly Halloween Mask of course. I'm sure the ZFT is acutely aware of this, so you can work out yourselves which projects have been prioritized and are being worked on, including HR this year.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
thailand.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-09-10 10:12   [Quote] 
prbprbprb wrote:
If there are plans to do an anniversary box - in general, not just Hot Rats - postponing its release beyond 50 years seems like a pretty dumb idea. For that would mean new musical content contained therein would automatically fall into the public domain as far as copyright in the EU is concerned the minute the box is released, so anyone could legally copy and sell the contents the next day at a knock down price (and not just in the EU but to the rest of the world as well, via Amazon Germany, France, etc), minus the silly Halloween Mask of course. I'm sure the ZFT is acutely aware of this, so you can work out yourselves which projects have been prioritized and are being worked on, including HR this year.

In the Joe 'Vaultmeister' Travers and Ahmet tradition... let's release everything. Keep up the great work Joe and Ahmet!!!

Minkukel
netherlands.gif
Post 2019-09-10 19:33   [Quote] 
Al Fresco wrote:
Minkukel wrote:
Al Fresco wrote:

Well, this is not my interpretation but they are talking about the edition of anniversary boxes.

Rob wrote: "I also asked Joe about the Hot Rats anniversary edition that is coming out sooner than 2022. "
Joe wrote: "Hot Rats anniversary is this year"

Yeah, but he says:
2022 would be the 50th anniversary of those records. Hot Rats anniversary is this year.
In that context it doesn't have to mean an anniversary album to me.

We'll see in due time.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BobM
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-09-10 20:43   [Quote] 
To me it makes sense to bring it out this year. Maybe December. With the book and the tour focusing on Hot Rats everything points to it. We will see in short order. If not we have two nice packages for late 2019 without it...if you add Zappa in New York - not a bad Zappa year.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-09-10 23:41   [Quote] 
BobM wrote:
To me it makes sense to bring it out this year. Maybe December. With the book and the tour focusing on Hot Rats everything points to it. We will see in short order. If not we have two nice packages for late 2019 without it...if you add Zappa in New York - not a bad Zappa year.

Not Bad? Understatement, I'd say.

These last two were great. Best year in a long time.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
staaan
usa.gif
Post 2019-09-10 23:54   [Quote] 
Will we see songs like "Lil Clanton Shuffle" and other songs that were recorded during those sessions? If so what are some other songs recorded during those sessions that didn't make the final cut?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 3 Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: