Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Paul McCartney
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Koko B. Ware
canada.gif
Post 2019-05-04 09:54   [Quote] 
Saw this on a forum: ''Zappa was a rare breed, one of those weird ‘cerebral’ musicians. John Lennon, after jamming with Zappa, provided a similar assessment. Lennon called Zappa ‘an intellectual musician’. And it’s true, Zappa was consistently overthinking his music.

That approach was great for parody (and Frank was a par excellence parodist). But the emotional dimension in his music was retarded, neglected. You don’t get goosebumps listening to Zappa, you’re just mildly amused.

Paul McCartney is a veritable musical genius. Possibly one of the greatest composers, instrumentalists and vocalists ever, Paul’s stature only grows with the passage of time. Comparing him to Zappa is like comparing Shakespeare to the writers of Family Guy.

Also, Zappa was a very annoying guitar player. Constantly noodling on the guitar, he wasn’t able to deliver a consistently strong, convincing statement. I feel that aimless, annoying noodling was his weakest spot as a musician (cf. his atrocious double album “Shut Up’n Play Yer Guitar” — unlistenable, agonizing drivel and over indulgence that doesn’t lead anywhere).

In contrast, McCartney is a towering genius on the bass guitar, as he defined the vocabulary for the pop music bass playing. His bass playing in the Beatles is to this day unsurpassed. But he was also fantastic on the guitar (both acoustic and electric), piano and drums. Way, way better as an instrumentalist than Zappa. Not to mention that if you were to put Zappa’s entire catalog on one side, and only one of McCartney’s many fantastic songs on the other, Paul’s single song outweighs in musical quality the entire body of Zappa’s work. So the comparison is laughably inappropriate.'' Paul McCartney musical genius.....no
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Dark Clothes
Busy Poster
Post 2019-05-04 09:59   [Quote] 
roflol

pappazappa
italy.gif
Post 2019-05-04 10:05   [Quote] 
drunk

Post 2019-05-04 10:16  
MsPinky doesnt like this Topic in forum FZ Albums she moved it to forum Speakers Corner

MsPinky (BengoFury)

england.gif
Post 2019-05-04 11:32   [Quote] 
Ha! I wonder what a triple album of Paul McCartney bass playing would sound like.... Can't see it being a big seller... (or containing many consistently strong convincing statements that go 'somewhere'...)

Who the fuck posts something like that... Blimey, if you're going to have those kind of ignorant views the least you can do is keep it to yourself and not advertise to the rest of the world the depths of your stupidity...

Obviously I like Family Guy...

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2019-05-04 12:35   [Quote] 
Fuck THE BEATLES!!!

staaan
usa.gif
Post 2019-05-04 13:16   [Quote] 
Troll!!!!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Koko B. Ware
canada.gif
Post 2019-05-04 14:10   [Quote] 

Last edited by Koko B. Ware on 2019-05-05 05:57; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
kewo69
spain.gif
Post 2019-05-04 14:18   [Quote] 
April's fool? Don't make me laugh Smile

Beatles are simply crap
 [Profile]  [PM] 
DLHotch
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-05-04 15:00   [Quote] 
Teenage girls get goosebumps from boy bands. Serious musicians and fans of all musical genres get goosebumps from Frank Zappa's music and lyrics. This thread's originator's quotes represent the thought process of a teenage girl and not of a serious musician or a fan of serious music.

I'm now getting goosebumps as Plastic People plays in my head.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
burma.gif
Post 2019-05-04 18:25   [Quote] 
Koko B. Ware wrote:
Saw this on a forum: ''Zappa was a rare breed, one of those weird ‘cerebral’ musicians. John Lennon, after jamming with Zappa, provided a similar assessment. Lennon called Zappa ‘an intellectual musician’. And it’s true, Zappa was consistently overthinking his music.

That approach was great for parody (and Frank was a par excellence parodist). But the emotional dimension in his music was retarded, neglected. You don’t get goosebumps listening to Zappa, you’re just mildly amused.

Paul McCartney is a veritable musical genius. Possibly one of the greatest composers, instrumentalists and vocalists ever, Paul’s stature only grows with the passage of time. Comparing him to Zappa is like comparing Shakespeare to the writers of Family Guy.

Also, Zappa was a very annoying guitar player. Constantly noodling on the guitar, he wasn’t able to deliver a consistently strong, convincing statement. I feel that aimless, annoying noodling was his weakest spot as a musician (cf. his atrocious double album “Shut Up’n Play Yer Guitar” — unlistenable, agonizing drivel and over indulgence that doesn’t lead anywhere).

In contrast, McCartney is a towering genius on the bass guitar, as he defined the vocabulary for the pop music bass playing. His bass playing in the Beatles is to this day unsurpassed. But he was also fantastic on the guitar (both acoustic and electric), piano and drums. Way, way better as an instrumentalist than Zappa. Not to mention that if you were to put Zappa’s entire catalog on one side, and only one of McCartney’s many fantastic songs on the other, Paul’s single song outweighs in musical quality the entire body of Zappa’s work. So the comparison is laughably inappropriate.'' Paul McCartney musical genius.....no

it's kinda pointless comparing Frank and Paul KOKO as I'm sure you know its all down to personal taste. I my opinion Paul hasn;t done anuthing of note since The Beatles and he was responsible for some of their shittest songs... Your Mother should Know,Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da, Maxwell´s Silver Hammer,The Long and Winding Road lol and some of his solo ngs are so mawkish... Ebony and Ivory, Mull of Kintyre, My Love, Silly Love Songs, Frog Song, Wonderful Christmas Time I could go on and on and on
 [Profile]  [PM] 
tasfa potumba
usa.gif
Post 2019-05-05 02:25   [Quote] 
Hmm
I've always felt music wasn't a sport.
Comparitives are a complete waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

Zappa was great; McCartney is great. Room for all.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
polydigm
Poster
australia.gif
Post 2019-05-05 02:44   [Quote] 
Indeed - I cannot relate to either extreme of this discussion.

LeifH
canada.gif
Post 2019-05-05 03:14   [Quote] 
On youtube you can also find a video titled "FZ disrespects John Lennon" or something like that. Its just the interview with Frank about the Fillmore East-Lennon tape. Plenty of Beatle snobs shit talking Zappa there. Hahaha
 [Profile]  [PM] 
philouze
Post 2019-05-05 10:45   [Quote] 
I hate Zappa snobs as much as I hate Beatles snobs.
It's all wank. Fuck off. To each his own.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: