Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Vai reference to a soundcheck version of Zoot Allures  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Requests ~ Sharing ~ Trading ~ Marketplace
plook
uk.gif
Post 2019-04-29 10:22   [Quote] 
Hi there,
I just saw an old interview where Steve Vai mention an incredible version of Zoot Allures Frank played in New York, 1977. Was that recorded?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-04-29 12:47   [Quote] 
I think it was 1981, when Vai was in the band. No circulating recording.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
plook
uk.gif
Post 2019-04-29 14:51   [Quote] 
Thanks for that. What was i thinking with 1977? Pity there is no circulated recording
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-04-29 15:33   [Quote] 
I remember one of the August or September 1981 rehearsal tapes has an FZ solo where afterwards Vai (I think) says "wow, the guitar is great.."
 [Profile]  [PM] 
plook
uk.gif
Post 2019-04-29 15:49   [Quote] 
Thanks. I'll search for it
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2019-04-30 15:13   [Quote] 
We do have just one rehearsal tape from 1977.... And it's got a (short) version of Zoot Allures on it.. but was of course recorded in L.A...

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=332140#332140

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
staaan
usa.gif
Post 2019-04-30 23:27   [Quote] 
In the video Vai references Zoot Allures, soundcheck Halloween 77 right after that statement in the video they show Frank playing Black Napkins. I've seen the video several time in the past and I always wondered if Vai was mistaken and meant Black Napkins?

If you look at the setlists for those run of shows they never played Zoot Allures however they in fact played Black Napkins once and it was Halloween night.

At the 3:20 mark check Frank out playing Black Napkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh5gCb1th90

Here's the full version, note Franks eyes at or about the 4:15 mark and I always enjoy watching O'Hearn & Bozzio they were feeling it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UY38FDY35o
 [Profile]  [PM] 
staaan
usa.gif
Post 2019-04-30 23:37   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
I think it was 1981, when Vai was in the band. No circulating recording.

Disregard my previous post, I thought Vai said 77 in the video, I assumed 77 seeing as the footage was from 77.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
plook
uk.gif
Post 2019-04-30 23:45   [Quote] 
Thank you for that. What a fantastic performance, they are all on fire. Is all of that concert on film? What a truly amazing man he was.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
staaan
usa.gif
Post 2019-05-01 00:58   [Quote] 
@plook

It is from the movie "Baby Snakes" info seen here

http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/Baby_Snakes_(The_Film)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Zappamaniac
Poster
germany.gif
Post 2019-05-07 04:11   [Quote] 
on his website, in the discography section, Vai made this statement about YCDTOSA Vol. 3:

"I play on several songs on this volume. The band does a pretty stunning version of "Drowning Witch" here. Also, there’s a stellar version of "Zoot Allures". This was one of my favorite Frank songs, it was so beautiful. "Zoot Allures", "Black Napkins" and "Watermelon in Easter Hay" are Frank’s most touching guitar pieces. I remember that he would sometimes solo up to 9 minutes on this song, but one time when we were doing a soundcheck for the Halloween show in New York (1981), we were playing this song and Frank did a guitar solo that I’ll never forget. It was his most stunning expression on the instrument I’ve ever seen. He knew when it was happening that it was something special too. Everything he went for, he got. It was totally inspired. I had dreams of that solo later on. Out of all the many, many, many hours that Frank has captured his music on tape, this was one of those elusive moments that he had missed, but we’ll never forget it. Afterwards I said, "Frank, that was… there are no words I could utter to describe how intense that was. I don’t think I could ever do that." And, he said, "Well, you won’t ever see me playing ‘Montana.’" (That’s a very Frank thing to say.)"

So, it's not very clear what song he means, because he lists 3 songs and continues with "we were playing this song", but I think he means Black Napkins

Don´t let your meat loaf
Heh, heh, heh
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-05-07 23:55   [Quote] 
The first performance of Zoot Allures with Vai was 1981 11 01 at the Palladium. Probably they rehearsed it at a soundcheck earlier in the Palladium run which may have had the solo Vai mentioned.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
polydigm
Poster
australia.gif
Post 2019-05-08 00:51   [Quote] 
I read that quote as referring to Zoot allures. "Also, there’s a stellar version of "Zoot Allures". This was one of my favorite Frank songs, it was so beautiful." When he later says "this song" he's referring to one that he's mentioned before and Zoot Allures is the one he's made special mention of earlier in the quote. The intervening mention that Zoot Allures is part of the usual hallowed FZ guitar trinity doesn't isolate Black Napkins as the subject of what follows.

Somebody who can, needs to ask Steve Vai himself, to be sure, but my money is on Zoot Allures.

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Requests ~ Sharing ~ Trading ~ Marketplace All times are GMT

Jump to: