Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Flower Punk
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
McMick
Post 2019-02-21 11:15   [Quote] 
I was just curious if anyone had technical details on how this song was produced. I've been listening to it in headphones and I can see that it had a LOT of editing done to make it sound like it does. Frank definitely used at least 2 different recording speeds (and probably more), did this layering thing with a freaky distorted popping-in-and-out-of-existence electric guitar, did the background noises of the rest of the band going nuts, more layering of someone talking through a heavily overamplified distortion filter, and did the left and right spoken parts at different speeds (as best I can tell, left is 75% and right is 92%).

If you haven't bothered to do so, it's really worth listening to each channel separately. If you happen to use a media player that allows you to slow down the speed and pitch of the music, it's worth listening to it at various playback speeds as well. You can recognize most of the voices of the band members at the lower speeds quite easily.

I really like the whole WOIIFTM album. Stupidly, I just bought that RSD mono vinyl (for display purposes only), but half the genius of the album is what he did with the stereo mix. But I also love it because it's such a touchstone of references to the counterculture of that time, even more so than the previous albums. Lots of different things link up to the real-life goings on in 1967. It's a shame the album was delayed, because I think it would have had greater impact with an earlier release and would have achieved more notoriety. And of course I love it because, for all of the chaos it contains, it was really masterfully produced.

[Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-02-21 13:19   [Quote] 
UNBIND YOUR MIND
THERE IS NO TIME
Boin-n-n-n-n-n-g
TO LICK YOUR STAMPS
AND PASTE THEM IN!

pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-02-23 21:23   [Quote] 
Someone on the Hoffman forum shared recordings of the two channels slowed to the probable original speed (as I recall, the released recording is in the key of C while the slower versions are in F# and A). Fun listen.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
uncle Z
Busy Poster
ukraine.gif
Post 2019-02-23 22:06   [Quote] 
Cam yop post a link please? Thank you)

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-02-24 00:21   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
Someone on the Hoffman forum shared recordings of the two channels slowed to the probable original speed (as I recall, the released recording is in the key of C while the slower versions are in F# and A). Fun listen.

uncle Z wrote:
Cam yop post a link please? Thank you)

http://rednoise.x10host.com/temp/FlowerPunkVoice.mp3
 [Profile]  [PM] 
uncle Z
Busy Poster
ukraine.gif
Post 2019-02-24 08:09   [Quote] 
Thanks a lot pbuzby and drdork ! Very fun listen )

Last edited by uncle Z on 2019-02-24 15:25; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-02-24 15:20   [Quote] 
uncle Z wrote:
Thanks a lot puzby and drdork ! Very fun listen )

That is neat! Thanx
 [Profile]  [PM] 
uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2019-02-24 19:45   [Quote] 
Thank you.
thumbsup

McMick
Post 2019-02-25 09:09   [Quote] 
"It's one of the most exciting thing that's ever happened to me" lol

[Profile]  [PM] 
Ed Organmax
Poster
Post 2019-02-25 09:49   [Quote] 
I've always thought the song was released in the key of B. Or is that actually a really flat C?

Anyway the WOIIFTM acetate bootleg is a good indicator how FZ' vision of making an album changed over the course of making it. There is Lonely Little Girl which starts out in F (rather than A-flat on the record) that has the unused but played live in 1975 middle section, then a reprise of Lonely Little Girl and the guitar solo used as Theme from BWS, sans percussion overdubs. Towards the end of that you hear the 5/8 riff of the familiar sounding chords: F C G D. Which point towards Flower Punk.

And the possibility the original track was recorded in A. So for one channel FZ slowed the track down by a minor third to F-sharp. And the other vocal track was done according to the recorded speed and the whole thing was brought up eventually either by a major second or an extremely flat minor third. Like several other songs on WOIIFTM.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2019-02-25 12:55   [Quote] 
The ę†hippie vamp†Ľ as FZ often played it was played in D (quoted in many many songs, Honey Donít You Want A Man Like Me for example). One might guess that the original instrumental basic track was recorded in D, slowed down to record the vocals and the whole mix speeded up to B as we know it ?

Iíve tried many times to match the speeds of various tracks on WOIIFTM to the original instrumental speeds featured on Lumpy Money, and more often than not the vocals are still not at the correct speed, well, SOME vocal parts are but most of them arenít, which indicates that FZ used two if not sometimes three different speeds to finish a track. Must have been a nightmare to do !!

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Ed Organmax
Poster
Post 2019-02-25 19:25   [Quote] 
My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama's 1969 version also contains the Hippie Vamp (where the acoustic guitar solo is on WRMF version), but in A. You can hear it a little more clearly on the Ark bootleg where they play the mid-section (absent from post-1969 versions, as well as from "My Guitar" single edit) but omit the colourful overdubbed parts.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2019-02-25 19:58   [Quote] 
D and A are the perfect keys for the "hippie vamp" because of the open strings. Barred positions make it too impractical to even bother. Did FZ ever use a capo? (If memory serves, that's how it was done on "Here Comes the Sun".)

Of course, there's no reason why the guitar would have to be recorded at the same speed as the vocals - as far as technical possibilities go he could have used different speeds for every track in the mix.

Personally I think the effect works great for comic purposes on vocal tracks but makes most instrumental parts sound shitty (especially drums). But that may well have been FZ's intention.

bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2019-02-25 20:12   [Quote] 
Come to think of it the main riff might be performed with a Clavinet and not a guitar

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Jim Lahey
Post 2019-02-26 04:28   [Quote] 
bleachboy wrote:
... which indicates that FZ used two if not sometimes three different speeds to finish a track. Must have been a nightmare to do !!

Does anyone else recall reading that the speed manipulation on this album was all done manually? Initially there was no "Variable Speed Oscillator" control, is how I understood it, at least not til after WOIIFTM. I wish I could remember where I thought I read this, but I'm sure someone more well versed might be able to cite the proper source.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT

Jump to: