Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
LUMPY MONEY... yes I know ehad a topic before but it's time for a re-visit  
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
burma.gif
Post 2019-01-20 10:18   [Quote] 
This weekend I have listened to CD1 a number of times with the 'original' Lumpy Gravy and mono Woiiftm... with the 2009 mix/sound the cd sounds beautiful but also coherent and timeless.
What a great period late 67 into 68... if you add Greasy Love Songs and the live work Frank and the Mothers were doing at the time the output and creativity was amazing.
Where does Absolutely Free come in all of this and why is there no projet object documentary linking Freak OUT/ AF/LG/CWRATJ/WOIIFTM no AF mono release ether have the tapes been lost?
Can't wait for the in depth HOTRATS if there is one Joe?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-20 15:16   [Quote] 
Greasy Love Songs never made much of an impression on me (prefer Joe's Corsage), but I'll dig it up again. I kind of like about three of those songs in a row and then I'm done. I guess I never liked an entire album in the 50s style.

What about Freak Out, you say? Thatís different! Going steady for SIX weeks!

If they had lumped it together with Joe's Corsage then maybe. I liked the cuts Frank did all on his own in this period, playing all the instruments. If there is any more stuff left from Pal/Z studios related to any of this, I'd like to hear it.

Last edited by Tero on 2019-03-31 14:42; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
WonkyWilly
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-20 23:05   [Quote] 
"Absolutely Free" was recorded quickly and economically, and there were effects added live to the original stereo mix that probably couldn't be re-created in any capacity.

Thus, no outtakes and no remix. Just alternate mixes and such.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
McMick
Post 2019-02-24 09:53   [Quote] 
Can anyone tell me what's so special about the mono mix of WOIIFTM? Is it uncensored? I have the RSD vinyl version, but I'll never open it. I'm thinking about buying Lumpy Money mainly for WOIIFTM, but what am I getting out of it? I have the two Ryko releases, the Frank remaster job and the later "original" version. Am I missing out by not having the mono version? Or is it a few grunts here, a few segues there that are different and everything else is pretty much the same, or what? I'm just a little skeptical because I think a lot of the genius of that album is in its stereo manipulation.

[Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
burma.gif
Post 2019-02-25 09:47   [Quote] 
Overall it sounds better more oomph and clarity and its a completists dream... the one to look for though is an original pristine first press mono.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Dark Clothes
Busy Poster
Post 2019-02-25 09:52   [Quote] 
McMick wrote:
Can anyone tell me what's so special about the mono mix of WOIIFTM? Is it uncensored? I have the RSD vinyl version, but I'll never open it. I'm thinking about buying Lumpy Money mainly for WOIIFTM, but what am I getting out of it? I have the two Ryko releases, the Frank remaster job and the later "original" version. Am I missing out by not having the mono version? Or is it a few grunts here, a few segues there that are different and everything else is pretty much the same, or what? I'm just a little skeptical because I think a lot of the genius of that album is in its stereo manipulation.

It's a dedicated mono mix, so it has a number of variations that are different from the stereo version - like instruments and voices mixed higher or lower. Over all it's a more authentic sounding Sixties version than both the Eighties remix and the reconstructed version from the Nineties. I wouldn't hesitate to get Lumpy Money even if that's not essential to you, because it has many other great and surprising moments - for instance the Thing-Fish influenced remix of Lumpy Gravy and the fabulous How Did That Get In There, which is a treasure trove of jazz and orchestral modules or an accomplished 25 minute piece in itself - you decide. A must either way.

brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-02-25 17:20   [Quote] 
Recently posted similar comments in the album of the day thread, but Yea! Without doubt. The reviled remixes are fantastic to listen to. Now that matters are properly in order, have the originals remastered and readily available. And I can't recall which module, but there's a bit that sounds like early ny downtown, 81-83, Eugene Chadbourne in charge type music. Got a huge kick out of that. Orig Ruben/Greasy and the remix make for incredible listening, too. No more hand-wringing. Enjoy them all!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
AnneDeDevine
usa.gif
Post 2019-03-31 02:29   [Quote] 
So unfortunate that this album was removed from Spotify!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-03-31 09:54   [Quote] 
Dark Clothes wrote:
McMick wrote:

It's a dedicated mono mix, so it has a number of variations that are different from the stereo version - like instruments and voices mixed higher or lower. Over all it's a more authentic sounding Sixties version than both the Eighties remix and the reconstructed version from the Nineties. I wouldn't hesitate to get Lumpy Money even if that's not essential to you, because it has many other great and surprising moments - for instance the Thing-Fish influenced remix of Lumpy Gravy and the fabulous How Did That Get In There, which is a treasure trove of jazz and orchestral modules or an accomplished 25 minute piece in itself - you decide. A must either way.

I originally thought How Did That Get In There was a single performance, after repeated listenings I think it is constructed with splices and edits.

All the same it is amazing as you say treasure trove!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-03-31 14:45   [Quote] 
The mono mixes usually emphasized voices. The Beatles Capitol recordings came with both stereo and mono, but the mono was just a fold down of the stereo mix. Most of them sound awful. This is why Beatles fans spend hours doing needle drops on old vinyl mono discs.

WonkyWilly
usa.gif
Post 2019-04-14 08:40   [Quote] 
Tero wrote:
The Beatles Capitol recordings came with both stereo and mono, but the mono was just a fold down of the stereo mix. Most of them sound awful. This is why Beatles fans spend hours doing needle drops on old vinyl mono discs.

That's not true at all. Only the first two Capitol Beatles albums and a small handful of tracks here and there after that are fold-downs.

Furthermore, the Capitol albums do not sound "awful". That is a myth constantly circulated by Apple (and other self-proclaimed experts) alongside marketing hype for new "remastered" releases. Some of the Capitol albums actually sound better than the 2009 remasters do, but Apple is too incompetent to notice this.

And the reason that Beatles fans transfer vinyl is because the "regular" stock CD's suck ass, old and new. It has nothing at all to do with the Capitol albums. In fact, the Capitol 4-CD box sets are the only Beatles CD's that were ever done correctly, and that's because they were remastered by experienced American engineers with no nepotism or interference from Apple.

None of this bears any relevance to the topic at hand anyway.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT

Jump to: