Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
you cant do that on stage anymore Vol 2
Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next  
wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
burma.gif
Post 2018-10-11 08:43   [Quote] 
having spent 10 years or so ploughing thru the tapes on the Tracker as some of you will know I have spent much of this year ploughing through the catalogue... after allll the discussion on the 74 band both official and taper recordigs its amazing to listen to the Helsinki Concerts again... Frank himself thought these were amongst his best performances and as usual it is a masterpiece of editing of at least 3 actual concerts..
 [Profile]  [PM] 
WonkyWilly
usa.gif
Post 2018-10-11 20:27   [Quote] 
I can do without the Bob Stone sampled/replaced bass drum that sounds like a "click". Horrible.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
burma.gif
Post 2018-10-12 08:48   [Quote] 
now you've spoilt it for me as I spend all my time listening for the click darn it...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-10-13 05:17   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
now you've spoilt it for me as I spend all my time listening for the click darn it...

Yep happened to me when this point first came up roflol
 [Profile]  [PM] 
richast2
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-10-13 05:25   [Quote] 
That "staple gun" bass drum sound can be found on a few other tracks in the YCDTOSA series, and I've always thought I heard it in places on Playground Psychotics as well.

Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2018-10-13 10:31   [Quote] 
it's also on the remixed and reassembled Zappa In new York.

Zappamaniac
Poster
germany.gif
Post 2018-10-13 13:35   [Quote] 
richast2 wrote:
That "staple gun" bass drum sound can be found on a few other tracks in the YCDTOSA series, and I've always thought I heard it in places on Playground Psychotics as well.

yeah I hear it too. Listen to Sleeping in a jar on Playground Psychotics for instance.

Don´t let your meat loaf
Heh, heh, heh
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-10-13 14:08   [Quote] 
Loved YCDTOSA 2 when it first came out as it was my first time hearing "Inca Roads," "RDNZL," "Echidna's"/"Wash" and most of the other material. A few years later I heard Roxy & Elsewhere and was disappointed with the slower, more heavily arranged/produced versions there. Then a few years later my preference changed and for some time I have listened to Roxy a lot while rarely playing Helsinki.

I'm curious if Joe would consider a release of a new mix of the complete Helsinki shows. Could be a very good listen.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2018-10-13 19:27   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
Loved YCDTOSA 2 when it first came out as it was my first time hearing "Inca Roads," "RDNZL," "Echidna's"/"Wash" and most of the other material. A few years later I heard Roxy & Elsewhere and was disappointed with the slower, more heavily arranged/produced versions there. Then a few years later my preference changed and for some time I have listened to Roxy a lot while rarely playing Helsinki.

I'm curious if Joe would consider a release of a new mix of the complete Helsinki shows. Could be a very good listen.

make that a great listen. not only is the mix terrible, but the editing is very obvious, not just through headphones.

pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-10-13 19:51   [Quote] 
We could find out if they finished "Montana."
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2018-10-14 01:29   [Quote] 
It was around the time I went to see Zappa. The only time I went. I had the Roxy album, to compare to my concert. Titles were similar, but when the Helsinki set came out, it was closer to the lineup I heard.

The Road Tapes one is good too. I had some friends in Finland that went to see it, and also all the ones after the YCDTOSA set. They finally got Whipping Post together.

wikipedia explains the 1974 phenomenon
Quote:
The song also acquired a quasi-legendary role in early 1970s rock concerts, when audience members at other artists' concerts would semi-jokingly yell out "Whipping Post!" as a request between numbers, echoing the fan captured on At Fillmore East.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipping_Post_(song)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
polydigm
australia.gif
Post 2018-10-14 01:34   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:

I first heard Roxy & Elsewhere less than a year after it came out and all the following albums when they first appeared in OZ, so YCDTOSA 2 came a lot later. I didn't like most of it at all to start with and after twenty eight years it seems likely I will always prefer the Roxy & Elsewhere and One Size Fits All versions. YCDTOSA 2 has some interest for me, but I rarely listen to it - mostly only when a track pops up on shuffle while driving.

It's interesting to hear, that your initial familiarity with YCDTOSA 2 made it a favourite, and that you gradually came around to the others.

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-10-14 09:37   [Quote] 
Tero wrote:
It was around the time I went to see Zappa. The only time I went. I had the Roxy album, to compare to my concert. Titles were similar, but when the Helsinki set came out, it was closer to the lineup I heard.

Which concert did you go to?

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2018-10-14 12:18   [Quote] 
Yeah, that always comes up. I was in college at Ohio State. My parents had moved from Ohio to Florida. I had to take the bus downtown. Nov of 1974. Then I had to hitch hike back. Vague memories of Zappa doing pantomime with a mattress. Songs were the same as One Size tour.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-10-14 13:45   [Quote] 
Thanks.
I'm always intrigued as to why someone would go to an FZ show once and then never go again! (unless that one show was in 1988) Were some of those concerts that bad..?

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 3 Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: