Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
All Night Long  
polydigm
australia.gif
Post 2018-10-05 01:26   [Quote] 
This article, in footnote 1, refers to "All Night Long" as a Frank Zappa song. FZ himself, Toronto 1969, said it was originally recorded by Joe Houston and his Rockets in 1954. I guess the latter means it's definitively not an FZ song.

SpacemanJr
australia.gif
Post 2018-10-05 04:48   [Quote] 
 [Profile]  [PM] 
polydigm
australia.gif
Post 2018-10-05 06:49   [Quote] 
Indeed they are. That Animalism All Night Long video you've linked to, lists Mark Kozelek as the writer.

old_zircon
Post 2018-10-05 15:58   [Quote] 
polydigm wrote:
Indeed they are. That Animalism All Night Long video you've linked to, lists Mark Kozelek as the writer.

The song is the only one uncredited on the label of the original album: https://www.discogs.com/release/1214518

But it's credited to Frank Zappa at least on one CD repackage by Universal: https://www.discogs.com/release/4615298

Also, The Mothers Of Invention played a version of the song, also known as "No Matter What You Do," at least two times in 1967, as heard on 'Tis The Season To Be Jelly.

(But of course they also played the original Joe Houston's "All Night Long" at least a couple of times in 1969 and quoted it two times on the Bongo Fury album.)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2018-10-05 16:08   [Quote] 
old_zircon wrote:
polydigm wrote:

The song is the only one uncredited on the label of the original album: https://www.discogs.com/release/1214518

But it's credited to Frank Zappa at least on one CD repackage by Universal: https://www.discogs.com/release/4615298

Also, The Mothers Of Invention played a version of the song, also known as "No Matter What You Do," at least two times in 1967, as heard on 'Tis The Season To Be Jelly.

(But of course they also played the original Joe Houston's "All Night Long" at least a couple of times in 1969 and quoted it two times on the Bongo Fury album.)

On the Animalism label it says *Arr. by Frank Zappa, no writing credits.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
McMick
Post 2018-10-05 21:31   [Quote] 
old_zircon wrote:

I love that version! Ray Collins really cracks me up with his little monologue in the middle section.

I remember reading an article recently, in fact, where it was related that the intro was written by frank when he was doing some recording for Eric with the rest of the Animals (Eric wasn't present IIRC). It didn't seem to imply that he wrote anything other than the intro. Anyone know which article I'm referring to? I have a mind like a lint trap.

Burnnnnns
Squirm Screein'
PAAAAAAIN!!!!
- Angus O'Reilly O'Patrick McGinty
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-10-05 21:40   [Quote] 
No Matter What You Do is also known as I Don't Care How You Treat Me, and appears on the MOFO ‘Must Record’ list - as I Could Be A Slave!

Zappa gave the intro of that song to the Animals when he produced their Animalism album. Before they named it All Night Long, it was known as Song X.

I hope that's cleared things up!

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
polydigm
australia.gif
Post 2018-10-06 02:46   [Quote] 
It certainly sounds like his style at the time.

Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2018-10-07 21:05   [Quote] 
Idiot wrote:
Zappa gave the intro of that song to the Animals

The intro is the most recognizable part but listen closely and you'll notice that most of the song is the same, with different lyrics and different vocal melodies.

cheers

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: