Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Current 2018 Internet Stats Around The World  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker
polydigm
Poster
australia.gif
Post 2018-09-16 03:17   [Quote] 
I'm curious to to know what are typical standards for home internet connections around the world.

I'm in OZ and our current National Broadband Network rollout of fibre is a disgrace. All kinds of compromises are being made, such as fibre to the node, meaning you might have fibre internet, but it bottle necks for about 400 metres down copper wire from the nearest network node to your house. We still have ADSL 2 where we live but apparently fibre to the kerb is coming to our area in 2020.

So, I have 8.6 Mbps download and 0.9 Mbps upload.

When things are good, that translates to downloading sound 1 Megabyte of data per second. So one Gigabyte of data takes about seventeen minutes to download and almost three hours to upload. Trying to manage iCloud with this crap is painful. I sometimes hot spot to my mobile, because that has over 20 Mbps down and over 15Mbps up over the mobile wireless network. The limitation there of course, is an allowance of 20 GB per month.

Glossary: M = Mega (1000), G = Giga (1,000,000), b = bit, ps = per second, B = byte, byte = 8 bits (in reality a little more than 8 bits because of how the data is transferred in packets).

BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2018-09-16 09:24   [Quote] 
Here's my measured result as of today. Fiber net, guaranteed to be 250/100.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-09-16 11:44   [Quote] 
Ping 56ms
Descendant 182.74Mbps
Ascendant 19.63Mbps
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-09-16 11:48   [Quote] 
I find that there's often confusion between bytes and bits - despite one being ''B'' and one ''b''.... (I don't want to even mention kibibytes and mebibytes...)

In this part of London we have that thing where it's fibre optic in the road but copper into the house... (I don't know this for sure but I suspect part of the reason why fibre doesn't come into the houses is because it's more difficult to terminate fibre optic cable than copper, and I don't think Virgin media have the skilled personnel available even if they wanted to do it..)

Anyway, when I joined ZT I had a crappy download speed of something like 100kb/s and an appalling upload speed of about 20kb/s (which I presume is kilobits per second).... I've now been upgraded a few times (for some reason) and now I have speeds that I think of as about 3 or 4 megabytes (MB/s) down and about 600 kilobytes (kB/s) up..

Also, why do we all have much worse upload speeds than download speeds?

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')

Last edited by father-0blivion on 2018-09-16 20:20; edited 2 times in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
DLHotch
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-09-16 17:24   [Quote] 
According to http://speed.zoominternet.net/:

location = Ohio, USA

ping = 5ms

download = 95.5Mbps

upload = 10.4Mbps

Single uploads at soulseek and utorrent register between 1,300 - 1550K/sec
 [Profile]  [PM] 
frank2441
Power Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2018-09-16 18:25   [Quote] 
same program DLHotch used

ping 102 ms

download 9.8 Mbps

upload 74.4 Mbps

Usually my upload and download speed are the same. Going up to 12 Mb per second

edit:
Dutch speed test program
ping 9 ms
dl 60 Mbps
ul 94,7 Mbps
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2018-09-16 20:25   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:

Not sure if there is a technical explanation, but the vast majority of ISP customers will rate live streaming and perhaps download of movies and games much more than any upload figures, so from a marketing perspective, download will be king every time.

Please support Zappateers.com

Chords that vibrate sweetest pleasure,
Thrill the deepest notes of wo.
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/TPSzappateer
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2018-09-16 20:28   [Quote] 
mine tonight

Please support Zappateers.com

Chords that vibrate sweetest pleasure,
Thrill the deepest notes of wo.
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/TPSzappateer
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-09-16 21:53   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:

Not sure if there is a technical explanation, but the vast majority of ISP customers will rate live streaming and perhaps download of movies and games much more than any upload figures, so from a marketing perspective, download will be king every time.

Thanks.
Seems like Frank may be an exception... an upload speed 9 x the download speed seems very unusual (I know these tests are only snapshots but even in Frank's other test the upload was higher)
CheepnisAroma, polydigm and Doug all have a download speed roughly 9 x their upload speed, Frank's is the other way round.....

frank2441 wrote:
download 9.8 Mbps

upload 74.4 Mbps

Usually my upload and download speed are the same. Going up to 12 Mb per second

Do you mean 12 MB/s (megabytes) not Mb (megabits per second), as the speeds quoted above in megabytes are (very roughly) 1MB/s down and 9MB/s up.

Just in case anyone is wondering (as I was at first) how to convert megabits/s to kilobytes/s (kilobytes/s are the units given in uTorrent and on this site), a very rough guide is x 1000 then divide by 8.... So in Doug's upload example it's
10.4 x 1000 = 10,400 divide by 8 = 1300 kilobytes/s

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
 [Profile]  [PM] 
polydigm
Poster
australia.gif
Post 2018-09-22 17:20   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
... In this part of London we have that thing where it's fibre optic in the road but copper into the house [...] now I have speeds that I think of as about 3 or 4 megabytes (MB/s) down and about 600 kilobytes (kB/s) up ...
That's about 30 Mbs down and 5 Mbps up, is that by choice or is that the limit where you are?

frank2441
Power Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2018-09-22 17:32   [Quote] 
I meant 12 MB as in Megabytes
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-09-23 07:18   [Quote] 
polydigm wrote:
That's about 30 Mbs down and 5 Mbps up, is that by choice or is that the limit where you are?

It's by choice. I don't know what maximum speed I could get but 'fibre' is available here..
A few years ago when I was doing lots and lots of seeding my provider used to strangle my connection if I uploaded more than a certain amount in any 24 hour period (they probably still would but I don't seed as much now), this always seemed a bit strange to me as they didn't have a problem with me downloading as much as I wanted....

Thanks for the clarification frank.

[Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker All times are GMT

Jump to: