Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Blue light question
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-09-14 21:18   [Quote] 
TwentySmallCigars wrote:
Blue lights are also referenced in Village of the Sun

and 200 Years Old.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-09-15 00:38   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
Ob wrote:
Question
Rectorybasement wrote:
What is a blue light?

Something on top of a Black Maria.

[That's pronounced ''Mah-rye-ah'' (Not ''Mah-ree-ah'' like the girl's name) - slang for a police van..]

Whoa -- this is news to me and now totally sheds light on the meaning of the Tom Waits song "Big Black Mariah".

And hey, I liked TPS's remark on its own merits. I liked the specificity of the wavelengths. But I just hated to think of a newbie seeing it and thinking "well fuck, I guess that shuts me down". But maybe I shouldn't be so presumptuous about a newbie's potential skin thickness. I certainly don't think TPS intended to come off like that.

I do remember being a lurker for, literally, years, before I had the guts to speak up. And my initial posts were very deliberate and I revised and edited them before I clicked "submit" because I wanted to make sure it was well-worded and deemed respond-worthy by the veterans. And to that point I have to agree that yeah, OP didn't work too hard on the wording of the question. In that (blue) light, TPS's reply is warranted.

Back to the demographics thing and FZ's fanbase and this community -- I swear I have become my father's embodiment of "kids these days". I know it's a perpetual, generational stereotype, but when I have to face fact that teens and 20-somethings aren't discovering FZ's music, I am left to conclude that the problem is with that generation, and not with the nature of FZ's music. In the meantime, I am glad to have this community, but one does wonder.... how many will be here in 10 years? 20?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
manxzx
Busy Poster
Post 2018-09-15 06:25   [Quote] 
Maybe the Hologram tour will revive a bit the interest in FZ?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2018-09-15 07:08   [Quote] 
oofers wrote:
In the meantime, I am glad to have this community, but one does wonder.... how many will be here in 10 years? 20?
Glad to have you here oofers
bearhug

Will we be here? Perhaps a timely reminder for everyone to occasionally click that "PayPal donate" button (yes, it is still there, far right of the menu).
All top donors and contributors will be eligible to be included in the Zappateers Hologram...

Please support Zappateers.com

Chords that vibrate sweetest pleasure,
Thrill the deepest notes of wo.
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/TPSzappateer
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
rabbit
Contributor
uruguay.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-09-15 15:51   [Quote] 
Quote:
you

[b]
[/b]
Rectorybasement wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Glad to have YOU here

bearhug
 [Profile]  [PM] 
dukeoprunz
Post 2018-09-15 20:22   [Quote] 
Rectorybasement wrote:
What is a blue light?

FWIW - one time years ago when I was on a night flight landing in LA, as we approached I was watching out the window and noticing that the light bleeding from the windows of all the homes watching TV was a pale blue. This sparked the unshakable association of The Blue Light being a broadside on dumbed-down, passive culture - the blue light that bathes you as you vegetate in front of the television.

Unlikely this is what FZ had in mind, but it's an approach.

the duke.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2018-09-15 22:10   [Quote] 
Wasn't the Blue Light about that light spot put on some musicians while they were playing a solo during a concert that FZ used to make fun of ?

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
NotPedro
Site Admin
netherlands.gif
Post 2018-09-16 20:03   [Quote] 
The blue light is coming off the jukebox the stumblers are dancing around maybe?

hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-09-16 20:18   [Quote] 
bleachboy wrote:
Wasn't the Blue Light about that light spot put on some musicians while they were playing a solo during a concert that FZ used to make fun of ?

I thought that was the green light mentioned in Goblin Girl...? hmm

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
TOGFIADO
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2018-09-21 19:54   [Quote] 
dukeoprunz wrote:
Rectorybasement wrote:
What is a blue light?

FWIW - one time years ago when I was on a night flight landing in LA, as we approached I was watching out the window and noticing that the light bleeding from the windows of all the homes watching TV was a pale blue. This sparked the unshakable association of The Blue Light being a broadside on dumbed-down, passive culture - the blue light that bathes you as you vegetate in front of the television.

Unlikely this is what FZ had in mind, but it's an approach.

the duke.

Is taking twelve years to make your first post a record? And I can't believe no-one called themselves Rectorybasement before. Questions, questions, questions....

DLHotch
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-09-22 04:19   [Quote] 
oofers wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:
Ob wrote:
Question
Rectorybasement wrote:
What is a blue light?

Something on top of a Black Maria.

[That's pronounced ''Mah-rye-ah'' (Not ''Mah-ree-ah'' like the girl's name) - slang for a police van..]

Whoa -- this is news to me and now totally sheds light on the meaning of the Tom Waits song "Big Black Mariah".

Todd Rundgren also has a song titled Black Maria on his album titled Something/Anything (that album title sort of relates to the FZ song titled Andy...).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
NonFoods
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-09-22 21:30   [Quote] 
I always assumed the Blue Light was some sort of Kmart reference.

brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2018-09-24 00:33   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:

Some years ago...
Dark Clothes wrote:
The Blue Light --

Light beaming from the sun and sky above when you're under the water. Cf. the Trance-Fusion cover illustration. In this case the ocean has buried the land, like Atlantis. The blue light is a visual metaphor to describe a sinking culture - FZ's view of America, and more specifically American youth culture.

Spot on, I'd say. Along w/the television glow.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BognarRegis
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-09-24 05:40   [Quote] 
K-Mart used to have a "Blue Light Special" held only for shoppers in the store at that moment. They had a blue police light mounted on a flagpole attached to a rolling bin. when it happened, an announcement would come over the store PA and people would be directed to the blue light where the special was being held. I always thought that's what the Thing Fish was referring to on the Thing Fish album.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [AIM]  [Yahoo] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2018-09-24 13:13   [Quote] 
^^Forgot about K-Mart! Never had the pleasure to actually partake in the shopping frenzy. Which now leads me to recall the Blue Plate Specials at the local diner. Which as a kid I always thought had something to do with blue-haired old ladies looking for a bargain.^^^
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 3 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: