Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Bozzio-O'Hearn-Cuccurullo Power Trio - Zappanale #29 - 2018 07 21 Bad Doberan DE 192.58 SBD MC (Pittylabelle) LOSSY
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Pittylabelle
Contributor
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-07-26 21:13   [Quote] 
LudzNL wrote:
They had at least 3 hours and the power trio managed all in all about 6 great song.
besides WC none of the other musicians were happy with this performance
In the end even Denny couldn't save the show.
Sorry folks, I thought it was crap and I do feel sorry for Wolfhart Kutz,
It was almost Fawlty Towers "Don't mention the Warren"

I think I have to ask the question of meaning: What did the organizers and the concertgoers expect from this gig when these three guys were invited and announced?
I find the expectation, of getting a concert presented here by an experienced band, quite overbearing.

Sure, there are/were bands like "Banned From Utopia", "The Muffin Men", "Dweezil Zappa", "Sheik Yerbouty", Sex Without Nails "just to name a few, but even those
often have a hard time convincing the gentle Zappa fan. But all these bands have one thing in common: they have invested a lot of time, energy and ultimately money
in rehearsals and at least in their live interaction among themselves - to sound as an experienced band, so to speak.

Even the bands Frank Zappa played live with, had to work hard and rehearse sometimes for months to sound the way we know them.

So, I think this concert is a good result - measured by the effort and the possibilities. What would you spend on time, energy to give a single concert to a select number
of Zappa fans at a niche festival?

Ultimately, for me it was also about the event, to experience these three original Zappa Alumni live - for the first time since 1986.

And let's be honest, even Denny was often off the mark with his singing. But I guess he was just missing the rehearsal with "the band" - as simple as that.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
ivester
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-27 10:52   [Quote] 
There was a lot of talent on that stage, and I do appreciate the opportunity to hear the show. The problem, I think, is simply a lack of adequate rehearsal. With Zappa, precision is everything, and not *quite* on the mark can be a tragedy.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-27 12:57   [Quote] 
Pittylabelle wrote:

Even the bands Frank Zappa played live with, had to work hard and rehearse sometimes for months to sound the way we know them.

It is true that, for instance, if the fall 1981 band had only played the 1981 09 27 show and split up, I doubt anyone would talk about them much, but in reality they continued playing nearly every night for months and ended up with the famous concerts in November and December. Unfortunately modern bands playing Zappaesque music can't usually do this.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cosmikd
Contributor
france.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-07-27 17:09   [Quote] 
Thank you for the show!
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-07-27 21:15   [Quote] 
ivester wrote:
There was a lot of talent on that stage, and I do appreciate the opportunity to hear the show. The problem, I think, is simply a lack of adequate rehearsal. With Zappa, precision is everything, and not *quite* on the mark can be a tragedy.

True. Only two days of rehearsal.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-07-28 12:49   [Quote] 
Some edits were made to the tracklist (in red) - please see first post in this thread!
http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=32470

Many thanks to the Idiot for his efforts to find out the correct track names! Wink

Last edited by Pittylabelle on 2018-08-01 22:43; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-07-28 19:04   [Quote] 
thumbsup
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-07-30 23:57   [Quote] 
LudzNL wrote:
... besides WC none of the other musicians were happy with this performance ...

Um, well, ... really? Reference please! Wink
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Bernhard
Poster
germany.gif
Post 2018-07-31 10:23   [Quote] 
well, to give kind of an answer:

To me the beginning of this concert was the very very very best I heard on this (maybe not only this) Zappanale. They improved within 20 minutes that they were the very best musicians of the festival, that they can be as exact as we know them.
And then (except of a few glimpses) they went down down down ...
This is for me the reason why people cannot just like or dislike the show; because they were deeply disapointed after that beginning. We had good projects on stage, we had bad projects on stage, but such a range of quality-differences I never experienced before.

The setlist was quite a suprise to me, while the concert I felt like there was not that much of Zappa. So much about the created atmosphere.

About feelings on stage: for example the difference between the "so called" black page and his excellent "excuse-me-solo" after the drum was repaired.

anyhow, good that Zappanale music is spread. -

It was a good 5 day party again, hope to see you there next time also - this time we could even realize who the other one is Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Billytm
Busy Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2018-07-31 12:18   [Quote] 
I loved it Very Happy

I pass a swimming costume test.

Look out there's a monster coming!

Last edited by Billytm on 2018-08-01 18:37; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Bernhard
Poster
germany.gif
Post 2018-07-31 14:33   [Quote] 
Billytm wrote:
Schnapsköning Bernhard hat recht!

Schnapskönig ??!??!!?!!!?

Billytm, who are you?

don't worry, just panic. - I'll be in BG (with "spanish" flag)

really, I cann't handle all this pseudonyms - still I cann't handle with all the real names ... ...

Immaculate dreaml
england.gif
Post 2018-07-31 18:08   [Quote] 
Bernhard wrote:
well, to give kind of an answer:

To me the beginning of this concert was the very very very best I heard on this (maybe not only this) Zappanale. They improved within 20 minutes that they were the very best musicians of the festival, that they can be as exact as we know them.
And then (except of a few glimpses) they went down down down ...
This is for me the reason why people cannot just like or dislike the show; because they were deeply disapointed after that beginning. We had good projects on stage, we had bad projects on stage, but such a range of quality-differences I never experienced before.

The setlist was quite a suprise to me, while the concert I felt like there was not that much of Zappa. So much about the created atmosphere.

About feelings on stage: for example the difference between the "so called" black page and his excellent "excuse-me-solo" after the drum was repaired.

anyhow, good that Zappanale music is spread. -

It was a good 5 day party again, hope to see you there next time also - this time we could even realize who the other one is Rolling Eyes Very Happy

A lot of nonsense and lies were written and then removed, never too quick unfortunately !
Before posting and trolling on the web please get your facts right and above all stop the hate.
WC was never thrown out of his hotel, his luggage was gone from the changing rooms, the organisation did look after him, the way it should always be, it’s the minimum they could have done since the situation, and last but not least WC is been sober for years.
You may not like him as a guitarist or you may not have liked him on the stage, all disputable, please just don’t attack him or anyone else on a personal level the way you did! It’s offensive and defamatory, please refrain to
report a bunch of inaccuracies and lies in the future.
Thanks
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Bernhard
Poster
germany.gif
Post 2018-07-31 19:06   [Quote] 
oh,
I didn't want to attack anybody, even if he calls me "autistic" in general as referring to my "fatherland".

... that is why some things are in the head, but then there is the decision not to post them ...

So far, some of the things you seem to think about were mentioned in the meeting, some I was told by a man that claimed to be near the happenings 'cause of his work, some I could hear/see by myself while the concert, but didn I call him "the very best ..."?

... and if you would be so kind (to yourself) to read at least once the beginning of my post ... ... so, with all respect: What did you read out of that?

ah, sorry ... I'm not really interested in ..

doctorzap
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-07-31 19:07   [Quote] 
I HAVE BEEN TO HUNDREDS OF CONCERTS LISTEN TO 1000'S NEVER HAVE I COME ACROSS A SHOW STOPPED FOR A BROKEN BASS DRUM HEAD ?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-07-31 19:17   [Quote] 
doctorzap wrote:
I HAVE BEEN TO HUNDREDS OF CONCERTS LISTEN TO 1000'S NEVER HAVE I COME ACROSS A SHOW STOPPED FOR A BROKEN BASS DRUM HEAD ?

Well, it was Terry...and one of the four bass drum heads... Rolling Eyes

Meanwhile Warren had to improvise some electronic music with his keyboard gear...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 4 of 5 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Related All times are GMT

Jump to: