Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1984 07 29 Santa Barbara CA 103.27 Aud MC flac16 (hamilton-flying m)
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Shoebox
DL-List
Complete: [ 83 ]

flyingm
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-18 14:35   [Quote] 
Frank Zappa
Santa Barbara County Bowl
Santa Barbara, California USA
July 29, 1984

This capture: 103 minutes and 27 seconds
Audience Master cassettes - first digital transfer in 2018 and shared here first!

The band is:

Frank Zappa - guitar, vocals
Ike Willis - vocals, guitar, kazoo, tambourine
Chad Wackerman - drums
Scott Thunes - bass
Allan Zavod - keyboards
Bobby Martin - keyboards, alto saxophone, vocals
Ray White - vocals, guitar
Napoleon Murphy Brock - vocals, tenor saxophone

disc 1

01. Pre-show chatter and tune up (1:34)
02. Zoot Allures (with band introductions) >
03. Joe's Garage >
04. Why Does It Hurt When I Pee? >
05. You Are What You Is >
06. Dumb All Over >
07. The Evil Prince >
08. Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy >
09. Advance Romance >
10. He's So Gay > (tape flip during intro)
11. Bobby Brown >
12. Keep It Greasey >
13. Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me? >
14. Carol You Fool >
15. Chana In De Bushwop >
16. Let's Move To Cleveland >
17. Tinsel Town Rebellion (tape flip during applause)
[75:44]

disc 2
01. Dancin' Fool >
02. Cosmik Debris
encore
03. Frank reads a letter
04. Oh No >
05. More Trouble Every Day >
06. Penguin In Bondage >
07. Hot Plate Heaven At The Green Hotel
[27:44]

Recorded by Rex Hamilton with help from Chris

source:
Sennheiser MKE2002 binaural microphone pair > Sony D5-M w/ Dolby using 2-TDK M90 cassette tapes

Transfer & Mastering by Flying -M- (2018)
Nakamichi CR7 A w/ Dolby (azimuth aligned, bias @ 70usec) > Korg MR2000-S @ 1 bit 5.6 MHz DSDIFF
AudioGate (32-96) > Har-Bal 3.0 & iZotope RX6 advanced (prep & 24-96) > CD Wave > AudioGate Aqua (16-44) > TLH

Patch info:
Used about 3 seconds from this source
Lineage: Sony D-6 nak 300 master tape > Sony TC-KE600S > Audigy2 > soundforge 9 > Traders Little Helper > flac > wav > Soundforge 9: speed correction, minor re-tracking > flac TLH lvl7 w/SBA (677 MB)
Recorded by fzmoi69, transferred & edited by Adictedttull, re-edited: flambay

The Sennheiser MKE2002 uses omni mic capsules that are very bass heavy

In post production the low end was reduced while the mid and upper frequencies were boosted
Removed unwanted noises including the loudest clapping, whistling, chatter, woo-hooing and assorted handling noises made by the taper.

A tape flip lost a bit and I was able to get about 3 seconds of the missing piece from an alternate source before it also cut off.
So 2 beats were repeated to complete the transition.

Rex told me the story behind this recording and it is another example of what ends we will go to in our quest to capture a concert.

"I had never been to the Santa Barbara County Bowl but knew it had a reputation of having very tight security.
During the day of the show my partner in crime Chris & I went to the bowl, it was open but not open for business.
Asked a person in front if I could go inside to check it out as we had never been there before.
We were granted permission.
Once inside, with the backpack that had the Sony TCD-5M and the Sennheiser 2002E, batteries, tapes, etc.........I got an idea.
Took the lid off a garbage can and left the backpack inside an empty can under the plastic bag.
We left the County Bowl, ate lunch, played Frisbee during the afternoon and I was extremely worried I could lose my D-5 as well as my good friend, Big Dan's (RIP) Sennheiser mics.
We got back in thru very tight security for the show and all was well.
Talk about being relieved.
I was a starving college student, replacing my D-5 was one thing; Dan's 2002Es would have been another story.

During the show we were in the orchestra pit, with me wearing the purple hat with the microphone wired down my back to the tell-tale backpack.
The show starts and Frank points directly at me and says "nice hat" and I nearly crapped my pants.
Wearing the microphones I could not just turn around but I found out later that there was a guy right behind me that had a big wizard hat on......
Man did my heart stop when that happened......."
RH

Thanks to ethiessen for the great jewel case artwork, Renzo for his sound advice and to Rex for allowing me to share his recordings.
Finally a huge thank you to Frank and the band members that played this music for so many years.

For historical reference only and not intended for resale or any commercial use.

Enjoy…
-M- (July 2018)

FLYING M PRODUCTIONS
 [Profile]  [PM] 
frank2441
Power Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2018-07-18 14:50   [Quote] 
Thanks for the show and the story
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flyingm
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-18 15:38   [Quote] 
seems I screwed the track split at Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?
must have reviewed this 10 times and I didn't notice it until I post the thing.
oh poop
-M-
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-18 16:58   [Quote] 
Thank you for this. Looks like an excellent addition to our 84 catalog.

Since you mention one thing that may need to be corrected, and since I am not sure this has been checked for correct speed and other stuff, I am moving this to the Shoebox for now.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flyingm
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-18 17:46   [Quote] 
thanks for helping.
mike

Last edited by flyingm on 2018-07-18 18:01; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flyingm
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-18 18:00   [Quote] 
pbuzby

Hi pbuzby
so sorry I didn't follow your site posting guidelines. Honestly I was a bit lost trying to figure out how to post here at all.
Thank you for moving my torrent to the correct place.

You mentioned possible speed correction and possible further editing and wondered if it would be better if that was performed on the higher resolution 24-96 files? I can send those to you if you prefer. There is also a Universal Amphitheatre recording from December 23rd that is ready for Zappateers.
If you are interested I will put it in the shoebox this time (again 24-96 or 16-44 which is preferred?)
thanks for helping me as I wanted to share these here first before adding them to the dime and other places I am more familiar with.
mike
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2018-07-18 19:26   [Quote] 
thanks!

marinus
Poster
norway.gif
Post 2018-07-18 22:01   [Quote] 
Thanks!
 [Profile]  [PM]  [AIM]  [Yahoo]  [MSN] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-19 00:14   [Quote] 
flyingm wrote:

You mentioned possible speed correction and possible further editing and wondered if it would be better if that was performed on the higher resolution 24-96 files? I can send those to you if you prefer. There is also a Universal Amphitheatre recording from December 23rd that is ready for Zappateers.
If you are interested I will put it in the shoebox this time (again 24-96 or 16-44 which is preferred?)
thanks for helping me as I wanted to share these here first before adding them to the dime and other places I am more familiar with.
mike

Thanks for bringing these sources here. As for 24-96 vs. 16-44, I'll mention your question to some others who are more often involved in editing now and let you know what they say.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-19 00:27   [Quote] 
Speed sounds correct to me. Aside from the tracking mistake at Keep It Greasey/Honey Don't You Want, no issues here that I notice.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
SuzyCreamCheesey
Busy Poster
denmark.gif
Post 2018-07-19 14:42   [Quote] 
drool drool
menge tak!
Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
doctorzap
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-07-19 18:11   [Quote] 
I THINK AT THIS POINT IN TIME ANYONE COLLECTING IS INTERESTED IN 24 48 SEEMS TO BE THE BEST TRADE OFF OF QUALITY VS SIZE
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Mr_Green_Genes
Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2018-07-19 22:25   [Quote] 
Muito obrigado, DE NOVO!

doctorzap
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-07-20 08:29   [Quote] 
doctorzap wrote:
I THINK AT THIS POINT IN TIME ANYONE COLLECTING IS INTERESTED IN 24 48 SEEMS TO BE THE BEST TRADE OFF OF QUALITY VS SIZE

does anyone even burn cds anymore ? and if so why ?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Yuke
Busy Poster
Post 2018-07-20 15:44   [Quote] 
doctorzap wrote:

does anyone even burn cds anymore ? and if so why ?

I realize you are talking about the shows, but...

For tooling around in my car. Also, Hi-Res isn't going to help on my home system. On a side note, I've wondered about re-issues coming out as Hi-Res.

For example, this from the wiki page for Exit... Stage Left

Quote:
The high definition master prepared for this release was also made available for purchase in a 24-bit/48 kHz digital format at several high-resolution audio online music stores. These remasters have significantly less dynamic range compression than the 1997 remasters and the "Sector" remasters by Andy VanDette. Sean Magee remastered the audio from an analog copy of the original digital master, using a 192 kHz sample rate. But since Exit... Stage Left was originally mixed on digital equipment at 16-bit/44.1 kHz, no audio above 22 kHz exists in the original digital master or any of the remasters, which is why many digital music stores are only selling the album at a maximum sample rate of 48 kHz
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Shoebox All times are GMT

Jump to: