Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
18 Year Old Frank Zappa asked to be credited as Vincent Beldon
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
GenerousMittenful
usa.gif
Post 2017-10-22 13:59   [Quote] 
Hello all,

In the following eBay link, the seller of a 1959 poetry book called Split from Twinkling Hell, claims that an 18 year old Frank submitted poetry and "asked that he be credited under the pseudonym Vincent Beldon." Interesting. Anyone aware of this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zappa-Frank-Haynes-Grover-editor-Split-from-Twinkling-Hell-1st-ed-185531/162693664128?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
 [Profile]  [PM] 
GenerousMittenful
usa.gif
Post 2017-10-22 14:08   [Quote] 
OK, Sorry. It's listed here...

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/notes/LA_Night_Piece.html

Anyway, one is listed for sale.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2017-10-22 18:43   [Quote] 
Very cool. Someone who would post on the Z-Forum bought the orig discovery, with the correspondence. I remember he offered to read it over the phone to me, but time got away and it never happened. And he lived in the UK, if memory serves. It appears the excerpt is Frank's "beat poem?"
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-10-22 19:49   [Quote] 
Looks like the male equivalent of The Purse.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
GenerousMittenful
usa.gif
Post 2017-10-23 12:00   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
Very cool. Someone who would post on the Z-Forum bought the orig discovery, with the correspondence. I remember he offered to read it over the phone to me, but time got away and it never happened. And he lived in the UK, if memory serves. It appears the excerpt is Frank's "beat poem?"

brainpang, That's a great story. I would love to see the entire piece. I wonder if those are Frank's own hand printed words? They don't appear to be typeset.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2017-10-23 14:03   [Quote] 
GenerousMittenful wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zappa-Frank-Haynes-Grover-editor-Split-from-Twinkling-Hell-1st-ed-185531/162693664128?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Yes please, give me half a dozen.

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-10-23 22:59   [Quote] 
Johnny Ace (1929-1954) was a rhythm & blues singer who accidentally killed himself. FZ played several of his songs as a bogus disc jockey.

Little Julian Herrera was a rhythm & blues singer too. Ray Collins sang back-up on his song I Remember Linda. Herrera was convicted of rape (statutory or otherwise) shortly after that record was released. He served some time in prison, got out, and disappeared shortly thereafter.

ABC beer was brewed by the Maier Brewing Company of Los Angeles.

Of course, Trojan is a brand of condoms and Lucky Strike is a brand of cigarettes.

I'm guessing King Konk was a hair product.

Anyone know what a "many-thins belt" is?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
GenerousMittenful
usa.gif
Post 2017-10-24 10:33   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
Johnny Ace (1929-1954) was a rhythm & blues singer who accidentally killed himself. FZ played several of his songs as a bogus disc jockey.

Little Julian Herrera was a rhythm & blues singer too. Ray Collins sang back-up on his song I Remember Linda. Herrera was convicted of rape (statutory or otherwise) shortly after that record was released. He served some time in prison, got out, and disappeared shortly thereafter.

Of course, Trojan is a brand of condoms and Lucky Strike is a brand of cigarettes.

drdork, Thanks for the additional details. So this little 1959 teenage poem could be the first document in Zappa's conceptual continuity?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2017-10-24 11:48   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:

A belt of this sort: ??
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2017-10-24 19:32   [Quote] 
Perhaps Frank used a pseudonym because of the line “Three joints in a Luckies pack”.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2017-11-03 19:45   [Quote] 
Vatos I think refers to the Vatos Locos - an East LA Street gang, who wear black shirts and khaki pants. I imagine their hair is gassed back, too.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-11-03 20:55   [Quote] 
I had this pic archived since 2010:

Vincent Beldon-FZ.jpg
 Description:  
 Filesize:  355.77 KB
 Viewed:  81 Time(s)

Vincent Beldon-FZ.jpg

[Profile]  [PM] 
GenerousMittenful
usa.gif
Post 2017-11-05 15:47   [Quote] 
Al Fresco,

Thanks. That's great. I guess it changed hands. The seller from 2010 was in Connecticut. I love seeing Frank's 18 year old signature and his home address in this one.

[Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2017-11-05 17:14   [Quote] 
GenerousMittenful wrote:
Al Fresco,

Thanks. That's great. I guess it changed hands. The seller from 2010 was in Connecticut.
I love seeing Frank's 18 year old signature and his home address in this one.

No. The ebay listing that initiated this thread is another copy of the chapbook, does not include the correspondence.

Thanks, Al Fresco. Loved seeing more of this. I like young Frank's "Digs.."

Is he responsible for the art, too? The letter says he has illustrations to offer as well. Maybe they used them, maybe not.
I'd say yes to the one pictured. Maybe he's Rico Rivera, too. Or maybe there are more illos throughout the book by RR.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-11-05 18:10   [Quote] 
Idiot wrote:
Vatos I think refers to the Vatos Locos - an East LA Street gang, who wear black shirts and khaki pants. I imagine their hair is gassed back, too.

Not necessarily. It could just mean three Mexican-American guys.

Wiktionary wrote:
vato (plural vatos)

(Chicano, slang) Hispanic youth; guy; dude

If it was a reference to the gang, it ought to be capitalized. Although at first glance the poem appears to be written in all capital letters, note that there is a distinction between large caps at the beginning of lines and proper nouns and small caps everywhere else. Large caps are used not only for people (Johnny Ace, Little Julian Herrera), but also for brand names (King Konk, A.B.C., Trojans, Luckies).

The first thing I thought of was the Leiber & Stoller song Three Cool Cats.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: