Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Hello Friends, What's the not so secret word of the day? Hologram!
Goto page:  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner -> Zappa Plays Zappa
hisnameisbob
EU.gif
Post 2017-09-24 12:05   [Quote] 

pimpampet
netherlands.gif
Post 2017-09-24 12:10   [Quote] 
Speaking of which, was the discussion thread about this removed?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
poldino
Busy Poster
uk.gif
Post 2017-09-24 12:36   [Quote] 
jaypfunk wrote:
pimpampet wrote:

Censorship!!!

Heh, first time i've ever roflol at one of your posts! Truly the end of days!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2017-09-24 13:35   [Quote] 
pimpampet wrote:

I'm afraid so. I woke this morning to the news that Ms Pinky had moved it to Playground Psychotics.
A popular topic for many here, 140 posts in three days, with a lot of debate, mostly negative it has to be said.
However, certain parties had sunk to personal attacks, so I assume that it why it was moved out of sight.

Although some had said they would prefer to reserve judgement on the hologram concept until they see it for themselves, I think Frank's brother Bobs recent post summarises the consensus of the majority.
Bob Zappa on Facebook wrote:
THE FVZ HOLOGRAM
Like many of you, when I think of a hologram I picture Princess Leia popping out of R2D2's little robot eyeball, shaky, scratchy and in an endless loop.
But will the hologram of Frank be better? Does it even matter?

The idea of projecting a holographic image of Frank in concert with former band members sounds interesting but I think there are other things to consider.

First, and this is my opinion only, I think it's creepy. It was ghoulish enough when the ZFT auctioned off his fillings and leg brace.
Maybe on the dark web they tried to sell his Foley leg bag. So there seems to be no limits to their quest for revenue.

Second, if you have ever seen Frank (live) in concert, you know that a significant part of his appeal was his interaction with the audience.
If you missed that unique opportunity, then the hologram may be for you. And maybe you won't find it creepy.

Third, the former band members who are supposed to appear with the hologram all have their own reasons for doing so.
I would like to think they're doing it out of respect but I suspect financial incentives are attached.
Can't fault them for that, though. Maybe they'll lessen the creepy-ness.

Finally, I think a motivating factor behind the hologram is the attempt to compete with and, if possible, diminish Dweezil's growing popularity and the widely acknowledged fact that he is the only legitimate heir to Frank's musical legacy. No amount of techno-nonsense will ever change that.

I have had the pleasure of becoming FB friends with people from all over the world.
I find those contacts fascinating because most of them share a love for Frank and his music.
I think many of you have read the same comments I have about the hologram and it seems that most share the same feeling...that they don't think it's anything other than a marketing gimmick.

Just my opinion, though...

Personally, I think Bobs second point may be the most relivant in the forming of many opinions.
Perhaps we can continue this debate in a civilised manner here, and hopefully it will last longer than three days.

Please support Zappateers.com

Chords that vibrate sweetest pleasure,
Thrill the deepest notes of wo.
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/TPSzappateer
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Ed Organmax
Busy Poster
Post 2017-09-24 14:24   [Quote] 
Good post from Bob, thanks for sharing. I'm sure Dunt (that Gail's brother who threatened to get tough on Dweezil, Moon and Bob legally) approves of this hologram idea on the other hand.

That hologram tour idea is just completely mad. It's also a pretty sad way to tarnish FZ' legacy as well. That it could come from a greedy company or businessman is mad enough, but that FZ' own son Ahmet would even entertain the very idea is just a shocking failure of good taste and judgment! It may also sort of taint the reputation of all these sidemen that reportedly agreed to take part. But then, maybe that kind of proves FZ' own point that players like Ian Underwood were really only in it for the money (something he snarled in a 1977-78 interview somewhere, I'm sure you can find it from Afka site).

EDIT:

Well, here it is:

Quote:
Sandy: Do you think any of the musicians on the albums appreciate it in the way that you intend it?

Zappa: No. They do it because they get paid to do it.

Gen: Do you only pick musicians who are only interested in getting paid?

Zappa: That's all there are in the earth.

Gen: Oh ... that's bullshit. Why don't you pick non-musicians? Is it because you've still got that obsession with being musical?

Zappa: I'm making music, and musicians are the bane of composers. Say you're an architect, you need to hire plumbers ... and you know that plumbers only do their job because they get paid for it, and that's the way it is.

Sandy: Ian Underwood, was he ...

Zappa: What does Ian Underwood signify to you?

Sandy: I got the feeling that he didn't solely do it for money, since he'd been on so many of your records... I thought he could have made more money elsewhere, unless you were paying him very well...

Zappa: I was paying him very well ... and he is now making more money elsewhere ...

Sandy: He was on the soundtrack of 'Demon Seed' ... is that the sort of stuff he does ...

Zappa: Yeah ... TV ...

Sandy: Do you think he was never interested, just did it for money?

Zappa: Yeah. Musicians come to this band for two reasons. One, the status of being in the group itself, and the fact that they're getting paid good for doing it.

Last edited by Ed Organmax on 2017-09-24 23:05; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hisnameisbob
EU.gif
Post 2017-09-24 18:17   [Quote] 
Well said, TPS and Ed.

However, I really do not like that threads just disappear into thin air, without a trace and no upfront explanation by admins. That kind of covert censorship action makes the existence of this forum futile and useless for FZ fans.
The ZFT hologram plans are obviously cause for a heated debate, to make that debate simply disappear
will cause Frank to spin in his urn! FFS! grrrrr

bazbo
Power Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2017-09-24 18:21   [Quote] 
Chris Opperman on Twitter:

Quote:
My friends are willing to play Frank's music with the hologram because they love his music, not for $. No one plays his music to get rich.

Quote:
Yes, it's bizarre but maybe it'll be cool. Who knows? I want to keep an open mind about it. I also understand everyone's negative feelings.

And the same goes for me.

Guitar Solo Baz

'ALL FOR ONE, ONE FOR ALL'
- for Walk(spoon) - gone, but never forgotten

www.bazbo.net
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2017-09-24 18:40   [Quote] 
Yeah thanks for giving some sort of explanation for what happened to the thread TPS.... It's a shame you had to do it....
It's regrettable that kind of thing (thread deletion/censorship) happens here from time to time..... Whilst most of us appreciate that you can't post insults etc. there are obviously a few who need things pointing out to them. I know it's a right pain in the arse to moderate people who probably should know better but simply deleting such a popular thread punishes everybody who made ''permissible'' posts... and to do it without saying anything about why is a bit rude... (and doesn't give the ''offenders'' a chance to learn)

I, like TPS, hope the debate can continue here in a civilised manner - not least because such a controversial announcement from the ZFT should have a thread debating it on Zappateers - but I can understand if people may wonder why bother to post anything when, if a couple of people have an argument at some later date, it's all going to disappear again..... (if that was the reason of course... I don't know because we haven't been told). Doesn't bode well for the future of the forum....

As far as reserving judgement until the show has been seen goes, I think most of the negativity was about the CONCEPT of an FZ Hologram show, something which you don't need to see the show to have an opinion about.

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2017-09-24 18:50   [Quote] 
Nothing was deleted, just moved to PP and still open for reading but not posting. The amount of insults against the ZFT and between ZT members made it impossible to moderate. Some people seem to think that anything is OK to post in here, and claims that it's "censorship" if it's deleted, but this IS a moderated forum where members should be thinking about what they post...
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2017-09-24 18:54   [Quote] 
Threads in PP are not visible for ordinary members to read.

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2017-09-24 20:01   [Quote] 
"A reasonable facsimile" PU!!!

poldino
Busy Poster
uk.gif
Post 2017-09-24 21:08   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
Threads in PP are not visible for ordinary members to read.

I can't see it. There are different tiers of users here? Anyone care to explain?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hisnameisbob
EU.gif
Post 2017-09-24 22:18   [Quote] 
I can not see the PP page! Link?!
Can we have a Ms Pinky blog page, that tells us what she's been up to?

Ed Organmax
Busy Poster
Post 2017-09-24 22:59   [Quote] 
Yeah, I'd also appreciate an explanation about Playground Psychotics and its possibility of readability. Thanks in advance!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2017-09-25 02:20   [Quote] 
Belew on his Facebook has now pulled out citing the negative reaction to the ZFT announcement although he had initially considered participating. I would have preferred to have seen the show with Belew. Seems like a case of cutting off noses to spite faces to me... 🐣
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 15 Goto page:  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner -> Zappa Plays Zappa All times are GMT

Jump to: