Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
"hot Rats" possible best Zappa album?
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
LC
portugal.gif
Post 2017-07-22 19:55   [Quote] 
Well I hear Zappa music for almost 45 years....and its dificult to mention the best Zappa album in this site "hot Rats" its on top
https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/frank-zappa
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-07-22 23:17   [Quote] 
"for our beloved friends in the British Isles… the only 'good' Zappa album ever released"
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2017-07-23 08:53   [Quote] 
it's not even close IMO. Most tracks here are missing that certain edge somehow. Maybe it's the production, i don't know. Give me Burnt Weeny Sandwich or The Grand Wazoo any day (haven't heard Waka/Jawaka yet "gasp")

Dark Clothes
Poster
Post 2017-07-23 12:24   [Quote] 
Hot rats hot ritz hot zitz - hot grooves. But maybe a little too much jamming and too little statistical density (=composition) on tracks like Willie the Pimp and Son of Mr. Green Genes. Peaches, Little Umbrellas and - above all - It Must Be a Camel are sublime, so all in all a wonderful and very satisfying album. But Waka/Jawaka's Big Swifty is perhaps Zappa's greatest moment as a jazz-rock composer/band leader/performer, allowing Sal Marquez to shine like another Miles.

Ed Organmax
Poster
Post 2017-07-23 15:04   [Quote] 
"Big Swifty" on W/J is just weird, it's like one minute of manic statistical density and then 16 minutes of jamming, only one of which is subsequently made to sound composed thanks to Sal transcribing FZ' guitar and overdubbing trumpets. In a way I like it. But I prefer the subsequent live versions (mostly 1972-73) with a bit more of an accessible kind of jamming and a bit more pronounced (spiffed over) ending theme.

Hot Rats is an interesting phenomenon, because even if nowadays we say the music released is all Frank Zappa, back in those days his outlet for music was under the Mothers of Invention umbrella. So apart from Lumpy Gravy, Hot Rats as well as its direct sequel W/J sort of represented FZ' "side project" approach to his music. W/J was definitely intended as (and did become) a sequel to HR, as Chunga's Revenge didn't work out as such (as if forming the band and recording with Flo & Eddie made much of the March 1970 recordings redundant). But MoI use was continued for mostly marketing purposes after 1970 (weird how The Grand Wazoo appeared as The Mothers, but then the overlap with the live Grand Wazoo Orchestra was relatively small) and it wasn't until 1976 until he would finally continue to release and tour simply as Frank Zappa.

Put me down as another BWS as well as TGW fanatic! Love both of these albums.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2017-07-23 16:08   [Quote] 
Gwonam wrote:
Give me Burnt Weeny Sandwich or The Grand Wazoo any day (haven't heard Waka/Jawaka yet "gasp")

You should hear it very soon.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2017-07-23 17:05   [Quote] 
Gwonam wrote:
... (haven't heard Waka/Jawaka yet "gasp")

''Gasp'' is right! I know we're an unofficial tape site but I'm quite shocked that a long time member hasn't heard Waka/Jawaka....... pbuzby is right again, you should hear it very soon..

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2017-07-23 19:09   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
Gwonam wrote:
... (haven't heard Waka/Jawaka yet "gasp")

''Gasp'' is right! I know we're an unofficial tape site but I'm quite shocked that a long time member hasn't heard Waka/Jawaka....... pbuzby is right again, you should hear it very soon..

i know.

2 reasons i didn't:

i branched out quite a bit for a while into other artists and my budget being quite limited the Frankster had to wait a bit (also because i got a little burnt-out for a while).

and of course i didn't get Amazon until quite recently (and Frank's stuff is hard to find without it here) so yeah, it's on my list for next month or the end of this one (as soon as i have the money to spare)

Ed Organmax
Poster
Post 2017-07-23 19:43   [Quote] 
Be sure to get the recent 2012 remaster, that's among the 2012 Universal reissues that were using original analogue masters as a source. Sounds brilliant. And despite the fact I said "Big Swifty" sounds a bit weird, the title track "Waka/Jawaka" is definitely a true masterpiece, not to be missed.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2017-07-23 21:10   [Quote] 
I'm glad that you still have it to look forward to.... I wish there were still official albums from the early 70's that I was yet to hear!

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Dark Clothes
Poster
Post 2017-07-23 21:29   [Quote] 
Ed Organmax wrote:
Be sure to get the recent 2012 remaster, that's among the 2012 Universal reissues that were using original analogue masters as a source. Sounds brilliant. And despite the fact I said "Big Swifty" sounds a bit weird, the title track "Waka/Jawaka" is definitely a true masterpiece, not to be missed.

I can't argue with your opinion, but I find the Waka/Jawaka Big Swifty very satisfying and tend to experience it like a journey - port - sea - harbour.

wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
burma.gif
Post 2017-07-24 23:33   [Quote] 
I love both Hot Rats and Hot Rats 2 Waka/Jawaka but the former is my favorite.
I agree that most of the songs come out of studio improv based around Frank and Ian Underwood's initial ideas but that band had a great feel which in my opinion was missing from much of Frank's later rock/jazz/pop output.
I recently heard Willie The Pimp playing at 3 in the morning at a traveler's campsite loud and it was beautiful the space, the breadth and the ebb and flow of the solos plus the Captains vocal make it my masterpiece Frank track.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2017-07-25 01:01   [Quote] 
LC wrote:

Well, yes, it is one possible "best Zappa album"... of about 100.

TPS
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2017-07-25 08:12   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
LC wrote:

Well, yes, it is one possible "best Zappa album"... of about 100.

Coming soon... "Which Zappa vinyl has the cutest grooves?"

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Billytm
Busy Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2017-07-25 09:47   [Quote] 
Huge album and a huge step in Zappa's career as a producer. So many layers, so many great edits! As it says on the sleeve: its a movie for your ears.

On the other hand: I never listen to the record since it is in my DNA. I can sing the guitar solo from Willie The Pimp note to note for you. Played this record over and over again.

I should check it again and try to listen to it with fresh ears Smile But yeah, a big favourite that's for sure.

I pass a swimming costume test.

Look out there's a monster coming!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 4 Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: