Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
And speaking of my book…
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
stillbob
EU.gif
Post 2018-08-10 15:33   [Quote] 
cyranoDB wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:
staaan wrote:
... I look forward to reading it this weekend.

You're going to need longer than that....

Has anyone here finished yet?

One does not simply finish THE BIG NOTE!
THE BIG NOTE will never ever stop to force its vibrations on unsuspecting air molecules!
Very Happy

[img]
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rubbershirt
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-08-10 19:16   [Quote] 
Well I was going to say that for me it’s also a reference so in that sense it’s never “finished”
 [Profile]  [PM] 
stillbob
EU.gif
Post 2018-08-11 07:09   [Quote] 
rubbershirt wrote:
Well I was going to say that for me it’s also a reference so in that sense it’s never “finished”

Funny that. On the topic of Studio Tan, I bought that record way way back when I was 14, because I liked the cover and it was reduced to a ridiculously low price. I listened to it and it made no sense to me whatsoever. Sat on the shelf until years later, after I had spend time in the Zappa universe. It is one of my favourite albums ever now. Must have heard it a 1000 times at least.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
kewo69
spain.gif
Post 2018-08-11 08:45   [Quote] 
Awesome book, a must have!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-08-12 21:05   [Quote] 
At long last, the official launch of The Big Note! Featuring live music by Slowpoke & The Smoke.

Friday, August 24
Lana Lou's
362 Powell Street
Vancouver, BC

Read all about it on the New Star Books blog.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-08-20 13:00   [Quote] 
For those who can't make it to Vancouver on Friday, here are some more Slowpoke & The Smoke youtube links:

Stuff Up The Cracks (studio)

Jelly Roll Gum Drop (and the start of I Ain't Got No Heart)

How Could I Be Such A Fool? (plus Shakin' All Over)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-08-23 01:46   [Quote] 
I'll be interviewed on CBC Vancouver radio on Friday. The show On The Coast runs 3:00–6:00 pm PDT (GMT – 7). I'm not sure when I'll be on, but probably shortly after 3:30.

You can listen on line here.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rufustfirefly
Post 2018-09-03 16:30   [Quote] 
Hello,
Just have to chime in as a newbie to this forum. I just got this book yesterday. learned about it on the Hoffman forum. Its incredible. Words fail me. Thanks for writing the book that was always needed by the FZ fan.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TwentySmallCigars
canada.gif
Post 2018-09-05 22:24   [Quote] 
I got this just a while back and at first viewed it as a reference book, just picking an album that I liked and reading that particular chapter.

Since then I've gotten hooked and read the whole thing cover-to-cover.

This book really is a necessary part of any complete Zappa collection - an absolute must-own!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-09-08 08:41   [Quote] 
This book is amazing. Thank you again Charles.

There is so much I did not know about the 200 Motels screenplay that I just read about in the chapter on Chunga's Revenge.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2018-09-09 07:46   [Quote] 
Charles, again I have to say this book is fantastic !!
I am reading it following the chronological sequence of the albums and I am up to Imaginary Diseases.
The book is so full of technical information, cross-connections and small details that one wonders how could you make it.
At the same time, it tells us stories and one can see the chronological plot and developments.
It's difficult to give the picture of it through words, one really needs to read it to realize how good it is and appreciate all the nuances.

I know that it took 17 years to write it and this explains something, but besides that (if I may ask just out of curiosity as one of the many FZ fans gathering info about his music every day): how did you file all the info you got over the years (the method) and how were you able to cross-connect everything in a way that was convenient to finally re-organizing everyhting into a book such this which not only is analytical but also tells stories? And, probably more difficult to answer: how did you decide for each album "OK, this is done and ready for publishing"?
(NB: I am no writer at all and I don't go beyond excel when it comes to info filing) Smile

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-09-13 04:00   [Quote] 
I started by creating a skeleton, copying and pasting the list of albums from IINK (which wasn't called that at the time) into a word processor file, and then copying and pasting the tracklist of each album.

Then I listened to the albums and took notes. I searched IINK, affz, Arf, and other sources for relevant information. And over the years, whenever I encountered or discovered new information, I would insert it in the appropriate place.

When I started writing a chapter, I would copy all the notes on that album from the master file into a new file for the chapter. Then it was a matter of replacing notes with proper prose.

At some point, the master file of notes got too unwieldy and I split it into two files. Those got pretty unwieldy too. Up to Yellow Shark ended up being 778 pages and from CPIII on ended up being 438 pages.

As to when it was time to stop revising and publish it, the publisher decided that for me! The contract said I was supposed to submit the manuscript by September 2005, so he was pretty patient.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-10-14 17:29   [Quote] 
Ok, just ordered this...looking forward to it too! Zappacheers!

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2018-10-14 21:43   [Quote] 
Finished!!!!

Definitively a great WOW Smile

Now I have to read it again while listening to the records and all the various references. It will take a lot of time (I'm so glad Very Happy )

tasfa potumba
usa.gif
Post 2018-10-16 03:23   [Quote] 
Ordered today!
Really looking forward to reading!!!!!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 13 of 16 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: