Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
50 Years ago today Absolutely Free May 26 1967
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-11-20 23:41   [Quote] 
Vinyl - Absolutely Free 50th Anniversary Expanded Edition ZAPPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5DMJIa4lvk
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-11-21 02:43   [Quote] 
Quote:
Yes I see - you are right, "a tad better" does not automatically mean it's the "positive" version.

It is the "negative" image, and does have some sort of label in the center, but since it is translucent you still see the complete image rather than the white label.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Vaultmeister
Post 2017-11-21 05:18   [Quote] 
Pittylabelle wrote:
BengoFury wrote:
I cannot think that there were ever any intentions about different US & European versions,
there have been some real bad mistakes done and absolutely no quality control.

About the vinyl pressings you are probably right. But then again, I'm not so sure for the first 6 ZFT releases,
the time before the Universal Europe distribution company moved to The Netherlands.

I seem to remember that the matrix of the vinyl was different for USA and Europe - I may be wrong. But definitely
the catalogue numbers of the covers followed a different scheme.

From then on, the catalogue numbers are similar, starting with a ZR ..., for USA and Europe.

But the UMe cover printings were always different for USA and Europe. That's at least testified by the different
liner notes and the spectacular "On Size Fits All" cover misprint of the cover back side's first Europe edition.

BTW, I still own it as a "Collector's Item". Very Happy

Super fucking annoying. What is it with the UK anyway? First One Size Fits All, then this?
UGH. As far as I know, it's just the UK, but we are aware of the issues and will be addressing it.
Thanks everyone. Shit happens as we all know, I'm guilty of some stupid mistakes over the years, we are all human.
Joe
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2017-11-21 06:58   [Quote] 
Much respect for you Joe for coming on here and letting us guys know the score - well done buddy!

I'm sure you know that we all really appreciate your efforts always, and when something like this happens you get put in a difficult position,,, I just wanted to say that despite the occasional complaining we love you and what you do!

PS: We're ok in the UK really.... Wink

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Dark Clothes
Busy Poster
Post 2017-11-21 09:06   [Quote] 
I got my copy yesterday - American version although shipped from France. Very happy with it Smile

The outer rim of the laser etching is uneven, making a sort of black halo at the top and no blank rim at the bottom. Looks intentional. A dark greyish label has the image coming through - I don't mind it. Love the America Drinks/Brown Shoes/AD& goes home suite on side three! And killer edition of Why Don'cha Do Me Right!

Edit: Yeah, side four looks like Overnitefreak's picture.

BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2017-11-21 10:00   [Quote] 
Dark Clothes wrote:
I got my copy yesterday - American version although shipped from France. Very happy with it Smile

The outer rim of the laser etching is uneven, making a sort of black halo at the top and no blank rim at the bottom. Looks intentional. A dark greyish label has the image coming through - I don't mind it. Love the America Drinks/Brown Shoes/AD& goes home suite on side three! And killer edition of Why Don'cha Do Me Right!

Edit: Yeah, side four looks like Overnitefreak's picture.

But why is it marketed as looking like this when it's not?

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Dark Clothes
Busy Poster
Post 2017-11-21 10:15   [Quote] 
BengoFury wrote:

I don't know, but my guess that it's like an architect's design of a future project - a digital image from before the product was actually manufactured.

Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-11-21 11:03   [Quote] 
BengoFury wrote:

Good point, but Joe said: "As far as I know, it's just the UK", (author's note: I think he meant EU).

That indicates at least that he assumes that US versions are looking OK as marketed - and there must be two production or distribution lines: US and EU.

Nonetheless and no matter if different US and EU versions really exist, at least we know that affected copies emerged in the US and the EU.

Do I have this right? hmm
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
pappazappa
italy.gif
Post 2017-11-25 18:37   [Quote] 
Absolutely Free 50th Anniversary Expanded 2LP Edition arrived yesterday from the U.S.A.

Album Conditions:

- gatefold cover: perfect
- spine: perfect
- inner sleeves: perfect
- stapled booklet: perfect but cheap (looks like done with xerox-copies) like the original 1967 version
- external "ZAPPA recs/UMe" sticker: ripped (see picture) maybe the record store dealer has removed the price sticker
- Vinyl sides 1, 2 & 3: perfect

- Laser-etching side 4:

a) etching reversed also in the US version
b) dark gray label
c) sign by rubberized roller pressure (guide roller). Surely the vinyl was still soft (not completely hardened).

see pictures...

I highlighted the sign with the color to help you for better understand the defect.

OPINION: poor work done by an incompetent.

I apologize for the powder over the vinyl but I finished the Compressed Air Spray and I lost my blower air brush cleaner.

uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2017-11-26 06:43   [Quote] 
I got my EU copy.
Everything perfect except:
- reversed etching on Side 4
- white label on Side 4
- libretto: page-sequence fucked-up. I have: cover / blank / Duke of Prunes / Amnesia Vivace / America Drinks / Status Back Baby / Brown Shoes / Brown Shoes / Side 3 Bonus Section / Absolutely Freak pictures / AF 50th credits / FZ umbrella picture / America Drinks & Goes Home / Suzy Creamcheese / Uncle Bernie / Invocation / Call Any Vegetable / Plastic People / Foreword / Back cover

I'll keep it as a collector item, probably not so rare Smile
To have a regular one, I'll have to personally check an open item Mad

There is a reference in the fold-out, where "Made in EU" is written, to UM Baarn, The Netherlands.
I'll look for a contact in the web and send a complaint.

superjudge
sweden.gif
Post 2017-11-26 19:23   [Quote] 
uncle max wrote:
I got my EU copy.
Everything perfect except:
- reversed etching on Side 4
- white label on Side 4
- libretto: page-sequence fucked-up. I have: cover / blank / Duke of Prunes / Amnesia Vivace / America Drinks / Status Back Baby / Brown Shoes / Brown Shoes / Side 3 Bonus Section / Absolutely Freak pictures / AF 50th credits / FZ umbrella picture / America Drinks & Goes Home / Suzy Creamcheese / Uncle Bernie / Invocation / Call Any Vegetable / Plastic People / Foreword / Back cover

I'll keep it as a collector item, probably not so rare Smile
To have a regular one, I'll have to personally check an open item Mad

There is a reference in the fold-out, where "Made in EU" is written, to UM Baarn, The Netherlands.
I'll look for a contact in the web and send a complaint.

Exactly as mine...
Nothing says "Anniversary Edition" like some botched etching and a booklet with the pages out of order Laughing
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-11-26 22:57   [Quote] 
I think, what we can say by now about a US and EU difference is ...

US versions have a dark gray label (Overnitefreak, Dark Clothes, pappazappa)
EU versions have a white label (Pittylabelle, BengoFury, uncle max, superjudge)
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
number1823
usa.gif
Post 2017-11-27 00:52   [Quote] 
Same here, dark grey label (US). Crappy laser job, but I think the music sounds fantastic.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Mr_Green_Genes
Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2017-11-27 09:00   [Quote] 
Overnitefreak wrote:
Quote:
Yes I see - you are right, "a tad better" does not automatically mean it's the "positive" version.

It is the "negative" image, and does have some sort of label in the center, but since it is translucent you still see the complete image rather than the white label.

Give me bas-refief...

manxzx
Busy Poster
Post 2017-11-27 17:55   [Quote] 
I finally got my copy (US) I´m not an audio expert but I can say that what comes out of my speakers is REALLY AMAZING tunes
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 7 of 10 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT

Jump to: