Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Dweezil Zappa Plays Whatever the Fuck / Freak Out 50th Anniversary
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner -> Zappa Plays Zappa
ivester
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2017-01-17 15:10   [Quote] 
I saw Dweezil and band in St. Petersburg, FL, on January 15th, and it was excellent, probably my favorite show by DZ since he first started doing his dad's stuff back in 2006, and I've seen at least one show on each tour. The interplay between the two new singers is really fun: David Luther with his very deep baritone in the style of Frank and/or Ike Willis, Cian Coey doing the higher Ray White/Bobby Martin-type vocals. Plus their contrasting stage presences: Luther very deadpan, Coey all over the place like in a big rock show. Plus they do some knockout songs from all stages of Frank's career: "Brain Police," "Yo Mama," "Watermelon," "Enema Bandit" - an entertaining, enthusiastic, and very musical show.

Plus Dweezil got in one little dig about the family feud. During "Wet T-Shirt Nite," he admonishes "Mary" (Scheila Gonzales): "Ahmet is waiting for you in the tool shed!" I think most of the crowd got it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
staplegun
usa.gif
Post 2017-02-01 00:52   [Quote] 
I caught the show in Orlando and was blown away. Like yourself I'v seen shows from each tour and this one was really high up there. I ended up talking with Dweezil and Scheila after(I normally don't stay after but I figured after 10 years of loving his shows (and seeing them in Orlando and not NYC/Northeast with crazy crowds after) I thought it was a good time. I love Dweezil more and more with each show or each cool thing he does. Just a nice down to earth guy. I was one of the last people around and and we had a really nice conversation about all kinds of shit. I had already picked up the new album(which I love) but then found out he was offering it on 2lp vinyl for his legal fund thing. So I ordered that. He said the bit about Ahmet in the tool shed this night too. Hilarious.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2017-02-07 14:39   [Quote] 
I was reading about jazz records and someone referred to an act that celebrates a particular composer/arranger as a GHOST BAND. Has anyone heard that one before? It's simultaneously attractive & revolting.

ps Forget a web search, all one gets is Papa Emeritus.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2017-02-07 15:18   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
I was reading about jazz records and someone referred to an act that celebrates a particular composer/arranger as a GHOST BAND. Has anyone heard that one before?

I know a guy who played sax in the Glenn Miller Orchestra for a few months in the year 2000.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2017-02-07 17:27   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
I was reading about jazz records and someone referred to an act that celebrates a particular composer/arranger as a GHOST BAND. Has anyone heard that one before? It's simultaneously attractive & revolting.

Do you prefer FZ's comments about groups that play "dead persons' music"?

Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-03-16 23:41   [Quote] 
DWEEZIL ZAPPA: 50 YEARS OF FRANK

Thursday, 2017 10 19, 20:30 (GMT +01:00)

Open: 19:30 (GMT +01:00)

Jupiter Stage

Metropool
Industrieplein 10
7553 LL Hengelo OV
The Netherlands

E-Tickets ordered and received! Very Happy
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
MrBitey
uk.gif
Post 2017-10-14 11:50   [Quote] 
Saw the Dweez and crew last night at The de la Warr pavilion in Bexhill East Sussex last night. A lovely venue. Not enormous. Great sound and a good seat - 3rd row centre!
Great show. Excellent set including a number of my absolute favourites!
Highlights for me were:

Rollo (hybrid version with '72 vocals at the beginning and 'Yellow Snow' mid seventies vocals at the end)
Studabaker Hoch (preceded by the James Bond theme!)
Echidna's arf (sadly no 'DYEWTT')
Harry You're a Beast
Cruising for Burgers ('Vaudeville/1976 hybrid version)
Daddy Daddy Daddy (one of my fave FZ 'pop' numbers)

4th time I've seen ZPZ and I think this is my favourite line up. Tight as hell and the vocals were great. Excellent range of voices for close harmonies.
Can't remember the name of the rhythm/slide guitarist a bearded fellow with long curly hair. Don't think it was Dave Luther. Anyway, he was great. Good vocal range from baritone right up to falsetto for the Flo and Eddie stuff with Cian.

Folks waiting to see them over the next couple of months - you are in for a hell of an evening!

MrB
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2017-10-14 14:33   [Quote] 
MrBitey wrote:
Can't remember the name of the rhythm/slide guitarist a bearded fellow with long curly hair.

Adam Minkoff

Please support Zappateers.com

Chords that vibrate sweetest pleasure,
Thrill the deepest notes of wo.
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/TPSzappateer
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
peternats99
australia.gif
Post 2018-02-22 21:48   [Quote] 
Looking forward to DZ playing in Sydney tonight! Smile Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
peternats99
australia.gif
Post 2018-02-23 23:38   [Quote] 
Could have done with Adam Minkoff last night.

Instead we had a well-intentioned but consistently shrieky female lead vocalist unsuited to most of the originally male-sung material. She would be OK as a back-up singer but Keep it Greasy? Illinois Enema Bandit? (Opener Zomby Woof was promising though.....)

Scheila is a better singer but already has plenty to do.

Numerous technical hitches, and a trebly mix did not improve my mood. My concert companion muttered "Cabaret!".

I have great affection for the Dweez but the band needs a reboot....
 [Profile]  [PM] 
buddybird2
Post 2018-04-07 05:34   [Quote] 
Does anyone know whether or not Adam Minkoff is related to the Grape ?
Just gotta know..........
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-04-19 05:28   [Quote] 
peternats99 wrote:
Could have done with Adam Minkoff last night.

Instead we had a well-intentioned but consistently shrieky female lead vocalist unsuited to most of the originally male-sung material. She would be OK as a back-up singer but Keep it Greasy? Illinois Enema Bandit? (Opener Zomby Woof was promising though.....)

Scheila is a better singer but already has plenty to do.

Numerous technical hitches, and a trebly mix did not improve my mood. My concert companion muttered "Cabaret!".

I have great affection for the Dweez but the band needs a reboot....

I thought Cian Coey (that is her name) was amazing when I saw them Halloween 2016. I thought at the time that perhaps her addition to the group might be a little too much estrogen for Frank's music. Was I ever wrong! It worked brilliantly.

Iíll have a fresh chance to assess her contributions a week from this Saturday! Iíll return here with a report.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2018-04-19 05:47   [Quote] 
Cian and Adam together produce by far the best ZPZ vocals I've ever heard.
Maybe start a new topic for your report? This new tour is called "Dweezil Zappa: "Choice Cuts!" World Tour 2018".

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2018-06-06 13:57   [Quote] 
Poking around zappa.com and I find that Dweezil's tour dates are now listed under "performances."
That is a nice development.

Also a Zappa Weekend in Paris, Sept. 2018 that looks pretty cool. The Grand Wazoo at 11am!? Count me in.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2018-06-06 19:53   [Quote] 
Paris...
https://www.facebook.com/events/175958299853093/
Looks like 58 Zappateers are hoping to be there.
I know about 20 of us have tickets already. (GW/YS/200)

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner -> Zappa Plays Zappa All times are GMT

Jump to: