Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
FZ recording session at Apostolic Studios - February 15, 1968 - Photos
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Atonal
uk.gif
Post 2016-08-04 16:51   [Quote] 
Fantastic!

Thanks Al.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-08-04 17:10   [Quote] 
Al Fresco wrote:
Chromium... ??? vinyl... ???...were cruising burger"

I don't know anything about customizing cars, but my take on the last line is:

Custom torch roll, vinyl rear suspenders, heated lowered cruising burger
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-08-04 18:00   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
Al Fresco wrote:

More than me, that even don´t have a driving license and less a carucha.

And what says the previous line:

Something like:

"My red car ? , my flatcar ? , "bom paw pum...etc " (onomatopeic sounds repeated here ?); "balls"
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2016-08-04 18:30   [Quote] 
I think drdork's got most of it... although I think it may be ''toilet-roll'' not torch roll...

Also in the previous line it could be ''pom-pom balls'' (like the things cheerleaders hold....)

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-08-04 18:37   [Quote] 
Al Fresco wrote:
More than me, that even don´t have a driving license

Neither do I, although admittedly I did spend five hours behind the wheel in 1975 when my parents insisted that I take driver's training (at the last possible chance—summer school after graduating).

Al Fresco wrote:
And what says the previous line:

Something like:

"My red car ? , my flatcar ? , "bom paw pum...etc " (onomatopeic sounds repeated here ?); "balls"

Could that first phrase by "My carucha"? And could the next noun be in Spanish as well? Maybe starting with via… or pin… or pla…?

As for "balls", FZ mentioned "taco balls" a couple of times (68/11/10 KSAN-FM, 69/04/25 Queens College), but that's not what it says here. Maybe "… pom pom balls" which could be another name for the same thing?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2016-08-04 19:06   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
Al Fresco wrote:

Actually I think the line is punctuated more like this:

Custom toilet roll-vinyl, rear suspenders heated, lowered cruising burger.

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2016-08-04 19:40   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
Could that first phrase by "My carucha"?

The text seems to have two words between the two "my's" in that bar, but the rhythm of the music only has room for three syllables, with a stress on the third syllable (prosody was one thing FZ seemed to take very seriously indeed). So one of those words has to be monosyllabic and the other has to have two syllables (my guess is the second one and the first one respectively). But that's as far as my glasses, my monitor and the resolution of the file can take me.

father-0blivion wrote:
Custom toilet roll-vinyl

I'm confused. What the hell is a "toilet roll-vinyl"? hmm

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2016-08-04 20:01   [Quote] 
Well I'm not totally sure it says ''toilet roll vinyl'' but I think the ''toilet roll'' bit is describing the vinyl..... as in ''Custom matt black vinyl''...

It's only a guess by me and I have no idea what ''toilet roll vinyl'' may be..... perhaps it comes with little perforations every so often......

Whether it says toilet roll or torch roll I think those two words (2 or 3 syllables) are either describing a bit on the car which has customized vinyl on it or the type of vinyl itself

[Profile]  [PM] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2016-08-04 21:32   [Quote] 
I haven't seen the words. However there is a thing with car upholstery called "Tuck & Roll Vinyl"

Impressive Mercury with Tuck & Roll throughout the interior.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/08/sedan-on-the-salt-a-mercury-kustom/

Last edited by cyranoDB on 2016-08-04 21:32; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-08-04 21:32   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
The text seems to have two words between the two "my's" in that bar, but the rhythm of the music only has room for three syllables, with a stress on the third syllable (prosody was one thing FZ seemed to take very seriously indeed). So one of those words has to be monosyllabic and the other has to have two syllables (my guess is the second one and the first one respectively).

But what about the long word beneath the second "my"? How does that fit in? Between that and the five-note melisma on "balls", I didn't know how seriously to take the prosody.

father-0blivion wrote:
Custom toilet roll-vinyl

Setting aside the vinyl context, "toilet roll" sounds like a Briticism. I don't think I ever heard it in California (where I lived for over a quarter of a century). We'd say "toilet paper" (for an unspecified amount) or "a roll of toilet paper" (for a single roll).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-08-04 21:38   [Quote] 
cyranoDB wrote:
I haven't seen the words.

Here.
cyranoDB wrote:
However there is a thing with car upholstery called "Tuck & Roll Vinyl"

That's it, then: CUSTOM TUCK + ROLL VINYL
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2016-08-04 22:02   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
yetanother wrote:
The text seems to have two words between the two "my's" in that bar, but the rhythm of the music only has room for three syllables, with a stress on the third syllable (prosody was one thing FZ seemed to take very seriously indeed). So one of those words has to be monosyllabic and the other has to have two syllables (my guess is the second one and the first one respectively).

But what about the long word beneath the second "my"? How does that fit in?

You can see from the way he scribbled the score that he wasn't bothering with the alignment, since overall the syllable-note correspondence is pretty straightforward. So he aligns phrases with their entry points within each bar, but doesn't separate syllables, since the words tend to take up much more space than the notes. The word beneath the second "my" is simply a continuation of the previous phrase (I was including it when I said there were two words between the two "my's").

drdork wrote:
Between that and the five-note melisma on "balls", I didn't know how seriously to take the prosody.

But that melisma (or any of the melismas in the sheet for that matter) doesn't contradict the prosody. If you analyze the piece in terms of syllabic hierarchy (strong/weak syllables) versus the rhythmic structure of the melody, as in any Zappa piece with lyrics, the prosody is completely flawless.

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-08-04 22:28   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
The word beneath the second "my" is simply a continuation of the previous phrase (I was including it when I said there were two words between the two "my's").

Hmm. It's difficult to imagine how those two long words can contain a total of three syllables. But since I can't make them out, who knows?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2016-08-04 22:58   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
yetanother wrote:
The word beneath the second "my" is simply a continuation of the previous phrase (I was including it when I said there were two words between the two "my's").

Hmm. It's difficult to imagine how those two long words can contain a total of three syllables. But since I can't make them out, who knows?

Yeah, that's a mystery. In any case, long monosyllabic words are more characteristic of English than Spanish. (Take "schmucks" for instance!)

I guess the only way to figure it out would be to look at the actual print... hmm

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-08-04 23:43   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
In any case, long monosyllabic words are more characteristic of English than Spanish. (Take "schmucks" for instance!)

But neither word in the lyrics appears to start or end with the letter S, which is the best way to get a lot of consonants into a syllable.

yetanother wrote:
I guess the only way to figure it out would be to look at the actual print...

Does Getty Images sell prints? Or only license them for commercial use?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 3 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT

Jump to: