Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
ROAD TAPES Wish List
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Doc Phibes
usa.gif
Post 2016-05-31 21:27   [Quote] 
If there's no chance of the Hot Rats Band tapes being magically discovered under some dusty mustaches in the vault...

And any Petite Wazoo stuff is being saved for JT's Petite Wazoo album....

Then I guess I'm hoping for one of the concerts with Jeff Simmons from the first half of '74.

How's about everyone else? What are your dream Road Tapes albums?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2016-05-31 21:36   [Quote] 
Pretty much all of the above, adding any existing early 70' shows with Ray Collins / Don Preston / Billy Mundi / Aynsley Dunbar / Motorhead / Jeff "Swoovette" Simmons.

Plus one from the Bongo Fury tour. I don't think the album does this band justice.

Indeed the post-Roxy line up is kick ass. One of the best RDNZL ever. Or one of the later "Elsewhere" shows with Preston & Simmons & Walt Fowler.

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-05-31 21:36   [Quote] 
Doc Phibes wrote:
If there's no chance of the Hot Rats Band tapes being magically discovered under some dusty mustaches in the vault...

No magic needed...they are there Exclamation
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Doc Phibes
usa.gif
Post 2016-05-31 22:04   [Quote] 
Al Fresco wrote:
Doc Phibes wrote:

No magic needed...they are there Exclamation

Well, I mean the live Hot Rats performances, not the studio recordings. The only info I've turned up is that the live concert recordings do not exist.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2016-05-31 23:03   [Quote] 
There has been word that at least one Hot Rats recording exists with Ed Greene on drums.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2016-05-31 23:05   [Quote] 
And here's a thread that began almost 11 years ago on the same topic...

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2729
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pepe Nusbaum
Power Poster
EU.gif
Post 2016-06-01 00:00   [Quote] 
It was stated during the kickstarter campaign that there is going to be more Petite Wazoo stuff and something from Hot Rats too...think it was a PO release. It was answered on Kickstarter when Joe Alex and Ahmet were hanging out.

If you just been lowered down here on tv by a wire connected to a brown leather harness, forced by a crazy person to insert a mysterious imported lamp into the reproductive orifice of a lady harpist, and you were a dwarf.....would you do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVafHLqjRmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEr7ym4-r5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdx7M5ufDfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ip7U-aAMTc
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Tyronehell
ireland.gif
Post 2016-06-01 10:53   [Quote] 
That Petite Wazoo album can't come quick enough for me.

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2016-06-01 12:40   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
And here's a thread that began almost 11 years ago on the same topic...

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2729

Thanks for posting the link to that ancient thread pb.
The strangest thing I read in it (on page 3) was this:
MrUMRK wrote:
...at best count frank performed 176x shows and to date as a collective community of the tapes we have only unearthed approximately 81x shows.....less than 50% of frank's performances.

Was this accurate in June 2005 or was it just a couple of MrUMRK typos?

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
DLHotch
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-06-01 14:19   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
MrUMRK wrote:
...at best count frank performed 176x shows and to date as a collective community of the tapes we have only unearthed approximately 81x shows.....less than 50% of frank's performances.

According to my calculations I have 880 shows now. I remember discussions with MrUMRK at TDK about having over 800 shows back in 2005. Since then we've been blessed with lower gens and upgrades of those original 810-some shows so an increase of only 70 new shows in the last decade actually seems about right. If there were exactly 1760 performances and 880 are available that equals 50% of the known performances. I won't be able to rest comfortably until I have the other 880. Those 880 missing shows are my Road Tapes wish list.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2016-06-01 14:28   [Quote] 
DLHotch wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:
MrUMRK wrote:

According to my calculations I have 880 shows now. I remember discussions with MrUMRK at TDK about having over 800 shows back in 2005. Since then we've been blessed with lower gens and upgrades of those original 810-some shows so an increase of only 70 new shows in the last decade actually seems about right. If there were exactly 1760 performances and 880 are available that equals 50% of the known performances. I won't be able to rest comfortably until I have the other 880. Those 880 missing shows are my Road Tapes wish list.

X 2 !!!!

Now I'm 57. One per month would be far too slow nono sage

JOE: please, give us one per week !!!!
Smile

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2016-06-01 14:36   [Quote] 
Thanks D
So it was accurate then.... On first glance 70 ''new'' shows in the last decade didn't seem like many but having half the shows Frank ever played on my HD now seems like a fantastic achievement by everyone who ever contributed in any way (Taping, sharing, editing etc. etc.).... Not to say I wouldn't like the other half too of course...

Yeah! C'mon JT, let's get Road Tapin'! I want to start a thread called ''Road Tapes DCCCLXXX''!

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
DLHotch
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-06-01 16:57   [Quote] 
uncle max wrote:
Now I'm 57. One per month would be far too slow nono sage

JOE: please, give us one per week !!!!
Smile

Within two months I'll be 57 as well so those 880 Road Tapes can't come fast enough.

father-0blivion wrote:
...So it was accurate then.... On first glance 70 ''new'' shows in the last decade didn't seem like many...

That's an average of 7 new shows a year or an average of 6 more a year than we've gotten "officially."
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2016-06-01 20:01   [Quote] 
A sweet 1979 concert recording with some Pound for a Brown/mystery tune/5-5-5-awesomeness (like 1979-02-12 after the soundboard source ends... for me the transition there into 5-5-5 is some of the best Zappa-stuff in r.o.i.o.-land).

Advice for the mix: Turn down Tommy Mars unless he plays electric piano. Then that ensemble will have a fantastic crisp band sound.

I don't expect much more from a Hot Rats live recording than under-rehearsed jam band stuff.

Ed Organmax
Busy Poster
Post 2016-06-01 20:15   [Quote] 
1979 may be the last possible Road Tapes year, as it was the last year in which FZ used a limited four-track option for recording. All the 80s shows were done with at least some kind of a 16-track (initially analogue, then digital). And if it's indeed a 4-track, then Tommy Mars is going to be ever-present. And Peter Wolf may have done some of that synth-brass sound too!

So the Road Tapes is bound to cover the years from 1968-79. We've already covered 1968, 1970 and 1973. So hopefully there will be an Ed Greene HR show from early '70, maybe a full Petit Wazoo show, a Bongo Fury show would be great (hopefully there will be one with "Sleeping in a Jar" on it) and any 2 or 4-track recording of an early '74 show would be an improvement over what's been circulating. 1975-76 band as well as the Bianca lineup have already been represented on certain posthumous releases. Maybe if Hammersmith Odeon represents the mediocre side of the 77-78 band, there's something more interesting on a road-tape. A road tape of a Fall 78 band would certainly be a way better alternative to Halloween, maybe there's a road tape of that band playing "Uncle Meat", as it's only on two circulating recordings. Perhaps there will be an interesting guest appearance on any possible Seventies gig still to be unleashed?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 6 Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: