Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Road Tapes III
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next  
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2016-04-29 08:13   [Quote] 
It's crazy, but all of the Road Tapes releases so far have provided us with such amazing set lists, compared to the average set list of each tour. There's surprises everywhere (RT1: Shortly/Holiday In Berlin Full Blown, RT2: Eric Dolphy Memorial BBQ/Brown Shoes...). I'm really looking forward to hearing the Let's Make The Water Turn Black/Harry You're A Beast...medley. Oh I wish they'd kept the May 70 arrangement of Peace Corps and sung on it!

Tn short: there's a LOOOOT of things even us freaks don't know...

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
emmapeelfanclub
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2016-04-29 08:55   [Quote] 
This has much historical interest and relevance since I'm guessing this may be the earliest F+E live tape Joe has found in the vault. The band would had been very new at this time since FZ didn't meet Mark and Howard until 15th May at the 200 Motels concert so this is just less than 2 months later. The setlist I think reflects the fact that FZ was putting the whole band through their paces finding out their strengths, dynamics and weaknesses determining its identity. So this is gonna be a most interesting listen enabling us to hear how this version of the band came into shape. I'm sure there'll be some FZ and George Duke solos in there to enjoy too.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Ed Organmax
Busy Poster
Post 2016-04-29 09:12   [Quote] 
On RT2 Eric Dolphy and Brown Shoes were fixtures of the Euro '73 tour. The surprise track there is "Big Swifty" as well as the "Po-Jama" lyrics for the Dupree's pre-theme improv.

On RT3 I have a suspicion, looking at the setlist, that there will be no OCLT fast version, so they may skip from Harry to Oh No, using the "Don't come in me" bit as a segue (as it also occurs at the end of OCLT, both fast and slow). Frank probably found it didn't work with guitar and two electric pianos (which is what the arrangements for the '70 band were, compared to the frontline of horns).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BobM
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-05-25 04:04   [Quote] 
Go my copy today -

The first 35 minutes are a recording over a previous used tapes - they claim you can hear some bleed thru in some places - I didn't.

The Modellos are the intro and outro for the band

This is very interesting - lots of solos.

Favorites Oh No/Orange Country, The Clap (Chunga). King Kong

A Piece Of Contemporary Music - very interesting - part of Nancy & Mary Music comes from here (G Duke drum sounds) - also includes Dick Barber snorks,

Justine rocks - I hope there is a studio version from the Chunga sessions somewhere

This one is going to be played a lot.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2016-05-25 05:16   [Quote] 
BobM wrote:
... This is very interesting - lots of solos.

You know what we wanna hear.....

Thanks for the rundown Bob.

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2016-05-25 15:00   [Quote] 
I'm bumping this thread coz it's not getting noticed by everyone...

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BobM
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-05-25 15:17   [Quote] 
Part of the Nancy & Mary Music is from the Clap - around the 8 minute mark - the slow guitar section.

Love the instrumentals and the instrumental breaks - on most of the vocal material we already have most of it covered.

Modellos - Everyone is introduced as Larry Mondello - seems that both Mark and Howie were often mistaken for Larry Mondello - the fat kid on Leave it to Beaver - I guess all of us fat guys look alike.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2016-05-25 15:17   [Quote] 
BobM wrote:
Go my copy today -

The first 35 minutes are a recording over a previous used tapes - they claim you can hear some bleed thru in some places - I didn't.

The Modellos are the intro and outro for the band

This is very interesting - lots of solos.

Favorites Oh No/Orange Country, The Clap (Chunga). King Kong

A Piece Of Contemporary Music - very interesting - part of Nancy & Mary Music comes from here (G Duke drum sounds) - also includes Dick Barber snorks,

Justine rocks - I hope there is a studio version from the Chunga sessions somewhere

This one is going to be played a lot.

How'd u get yours so early?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BobM
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-05-25 15:22   [Quote] 
Release dates are now on Friday.
Your local indy record store gets the releases by Tuesday...mine gets it by UPS.

Since I do a lot of business supporting it - I know what's coming in and in some cases I pick up the product early...hey I will been 63 by the end of the week - every day counts Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BobM
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-05-25 15:25   [Quote] 
The slow guitar portion of the Nancy and Mary Music is from The Clap around the 8 minute mark.

The Mondellos - Everyone is introduced (show 2) as Larry Mondello - the fat kid in the early Leave It To Beaver. In the Revenge of the Mondellos FZ explains that both Mark and Howie were/are often mistaken for the guy who played Larry Mondello - I guess us fat guys all look alike.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BobM
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-05-25 15:29   [Quote] 
The tray insert has a picture of a bunch of tape boxes - 5 of them are from this show.
There are two Fillmore tapes, one Vancouver, one labeled CULA TRANS
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2016-05-25 15:32   [Quote] 
BobM wrote:
Release dates are now on Friday.
Your local indy record store gets the releases by Tuesday...mine gets it by UPS.

Since I do a lot of business supporting it - I know what's coming in and in some cases I pick up the product early...hey I will been 63 by the end of the week - every day counts Smile

Ahh yes, I get it now. Figured it might be something like that.

Tuesday's used to be an important day...I had to go to at least one...sometimes four...shops to check new releases.

HappyBirthday to you!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Ed Organmax
Busy Poster
Post 2016-05-25 15:44   [Quote] 
BobM wrote:
Part of the Nancy & Mary Music is from the Clap - around the 8 minute mark - the slow guitar section.

So that wasn't from A Pound for a Brown, as some of us had initially assumed? Kinda funny, I think Francois Couture on AMG did actually observe the Chunga's Revenge bassline under that solo, so maybe that was it. I did consider it possible that CR may have been done live by the band in June-July. One of the contemporary reviews did mention the Mothers starting the proceedings with a "Hot Rats style instrumental". The gig was in June 19 1970 I think in England. So there's at least two possible CR performances from that pre-Groupie Opera period.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2016-05-25 16:28   [Quote] 
Ed Organmax wrote:
BobM wrote:

So that wasn't from A Pound for a Brown, as some of us had initially assumed? Kinda funny, I think Francois Couture on AMG did actually observe the Chunga's Revenge bassline under that solo, so maybe that was it. I did consider it possible that CR may have been done live by the band in June-July. One of the contemporary reviews did mention the Mothers starting the proceedings with a "Hot Rats style instrumental". The gig was in June 19 1970 I think in England. So there's at least two possible CR performances from that pre-Groupie Opera period.

I love Zappateers!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2016-05-25 17:00   [Quote] 
It's definitely from Chunga's Revenge simply because FZ's guitar is tuned down to a drop D, and the only song he ever played in that tuning was Chunga's Revenge.

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 3 of 16 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT

Jump to: