Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Road Tapes III
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  
cygnus73
Post 2016-06-08 03:56   [Quote] 
i really don't understand why people dislike the quality of the recording, it has such a great raw feel
 [Profile]  [PM] 
uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2016-06-08 05:17   [Quote] 
cygnus73 wrote:
i really don't understand why people dislike the quality of the recording, it has such a great raw feel

I like it, but maybe some people don't just because it has "such a great raw feel" Smile

bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2016-06-08 06:30   [Quote] 
I think it's more pleasant to listen to than Fillmore East June 71, cause at least you feel you're in the audience.

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
poldino
Busy Poster
uk.gif
Post 2016-06-08 07:01   [Quote] 
cygnus73 wrote:

Because the first disk sounds like a bootleg recorded on top of another piece of music.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Ed Organmax
Busy Poster
Post 2016-06-08 07:19   [Quote] 
poldino wrote:
Because the first disk sounds like a bootleg recorded on top of another piece of music.

What I find surprising is that "KK/Igor's" monstrosities only kick off with the back half of the secondary KK theme and the applause is still going. Could it be possible there was a tape flip and the front half of the 2ndary theme didn't survive it and the applause was merged on top of the starting point of the music?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2016-06-08 07:52   [Quote] 
Vaultmeister wrote:
Buckalos wrote:

FZ: Turn my mike up.
Mark Volman(?): Turn his mike off!

Jeff Simmons: "Turn My Mike Up"
Mark Volman: "Turn His Mike OFF"
Jeff Simmons: "Turn My Mike Off"

Ha ha ha. Yes, correct. I thought it was Frank myself for a second before I realized it was Simmons.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
doctorzap
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-06-08 10:05   [Quote] 
incorrect
phasing is all over the place
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2016-06-08 14:26   [Quote] 
It is nice to hear early George Duke as new member of a FZ band
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Doc Phibes
usa.gif
Post 2016-06-14 21:44   [Quote] 
Man, I've been listening to this damn thing every day for the past 2 1/2 weeks, sometimes all day long. It really is the Flo & Eddie Album For People Who Don't Like Flo & Eddie Albums. And yeah, George Duke is a big part of that. The instrumental sections and improv solos are sheer delight.

If the sound quality on Disc 1 was a little better, I would be recommending it to everyone like I do with RTv#2. As it stands, I can't wait for more Road Tapes. Here's hoping another will show up for Halloween.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
michael
Post 2016-06-23 21:30   [Quote] 
Official Release #102 becomes #103 on zappa.com:
http://www.zappa.com/fz/discography/2016RoadTapes3.html
 [Profile]  [PM] 
emmapeelfanclub
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2016-06-24 00:29   [Quote] 
Having now listened to this a few times, a few observations. This is quite possibly the most accessible F+E era album since it straddles the early MOI and what came afterwards with the groupie and dick gags, so at this point, F+E are pretty much doing what they did best - singing. It's a great setlist and fascinating to hear them tackle so much early MOI material.

The fluctuations and changes between mono and stereo on much of disc one is a little disorientating but I can accept and live with that and trust Joe's judgement to get the best out of these tapes. I like the overall sound quality... very atmospheric.

As far as official FZ releases go, there's been very little of this line up. I always felt that George Duke was wasted in this band paired up with Underwood on keyboards and whilst I still don't think this line up was the best vehicle for George, his playing here is bloody wonderful. Given the short time this line up had been in existence at this time, they manage to sound pretty tight, engaging and endearing.

Let's not forget that practically everyone in the audience this night had never heard this line up before. They had the old MOI albums to go by... minus "Weasels", "Burnt Weeny" and "Chunga's Revenge" so they would had been expecting certain things... and this line up manages to deliver for them.

Quite a few great moments in here. I really love "Justine" - FZ's tone and the overall energy is very infectious. Intriguing to hear them play "Let's Make The Water Turn Black" and "Harry You're A Beast" complete with vocals. It's clear F+E still haven't yet memorised all the lyrics but still make a decent go of them. As for the non vocalising elements of the band... I'm really impressed. A lot of interesting solos. some good tight playing and Dunbar plays like a motherf***er.

So... three very different "road tapes" so far but all of them hugely enjoyable and gets one salivating for more. This one is essential for the many F+E haters. As I've mused and admitted elsewhere, I can perfectly understand why this line up has been derided and isn't revered as much as others, but one listen to this show proves they were very worthy.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Buckalos
usa.gif
Post 2016-06-24 04:28   [Quote] 
michael wrote:
Official Release #102 becomes #103 on zappa.com:
http://www.zappa.com/fz/discography/2016RoadTapes3.html

WTF Rolling Eyes

Ed Organmax
Busy Poster
Post 2016-06-24 12:24   [Quote] 
emmapeelfanclub wrote:
Having now listened to this a few times, a few observations. This is quite possibly the most accessible F+E era album since it straddles the early MOI and what came afterwards with the groupie and dick gags, so at this point, F+E are pretty much doing what they did best - singing. It's a great setlist and fascinating to hear them tackle so much early MOI material.

The fluctuations and changes between mono and stereo on much of disc one is a little disorientating but I can accept and live with that and trust Joe's judgement to get the best out of these tapes. I like the overall sound quality... very atmospheric.

As far as official FZ releases go, there's been very little of this line up. I always felt that George Duke was wasted in this band paired up with Underwood on keyboards and whilst I still don't think this line up was the best vehicle for George, his playing here is bloody wonderful. Given the short time this line up had been in existence at this time, they manage to sound pretty tight, engaging and endearing.

Let's not forget that practically everyone in the audience this night had never heard this line up before. They had the old MOI albums to go by... minus "Weasels", "Burnt Weeny" and "Chunga's Revenge" so they would had been expecting certain things... and this line up manages to deliver for them.

Quite a few great moments in here. I really love "Justine" - FZ's tone and the overall energy is very infectious. Intriguing to hear them play "Let's Make The Water Turn Black" and "Harry You're A Beast" complete with vocals. It's clear F+E still haven't yet memorised all the lyrics but still make a decent go of them. As for the non vocalising elements of the band... I'm really impressed. A lot of interesting solos. some good tight playing and Dunbar plays like a motherf***er.

So... three very different "road tapes" so far but all of them hugely enjoyable and gets one salivating for more. This one is essential for the many F+E haters. As I've mused and admitted elsewhere, I can perfectly understand why this line up has been derided and isn't revered as much as others, but one listen to this show proves they were very worthy.

Great post! I do agree, this release is definitely the early MOI retrospective played by the new (at the time) band, which actually was praised at the time by the critics as tighter than the old lineup. Yes, the solos are really good, I can't believe how good the sax solo is in "Chunga's Revenge", better than the more famous studio solo, hands down! But Ian reaches deep in his avant-jazz bag of tricks in "King Kong" and "Call Any Vegetable" Show 2 as well. Yes, George may have been underused in relation to FZ exploiting his full potential in the much-heralded 1973-75 years. But I think for George himself it must have been more frustrating to play the trombone* for the Fall '70 shows, than play the "redundant piano triplets" of "The Air" next to groovy soloing in "King Kong". There's definitely some really committed soloing from George on this release though.

Along with Carnegie Hall, Road Tapes Tyrone Guthrie '70 is one of the better F&E era outings!

*I actually do like the trombone bits on these more X-rated Fall '70 shows. It's a good thing that the use of wind instruments still survived to some extent. But that was only for the newer X-rated tunes, the old songs were still based on the double keyboard sound, which remained fairly anodyne until Don Preston rejoined the Mothers with his Moog.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
emmapeelfanclub
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2016-06-24 15:06   [Quote] 
Thank you Ed Organmax. headbanger

A rare opportunity to hear The Mothers in a transitional phase. Nice you mention the Carnegie Hall release because again, great pair of shows and they're interesting comparison points being near the end of the F+E era with the F+E repertoire in all it's glory. Despite the looseness in the dialogues, at all times, the musicianship is top notch. Of course by then Duke and Simmons were replaced by Don Preston and Jim Pons so there is a different feel, perhaps more muscular but stunning all the same. FZ clearly thought so too extracting a chunk of solos from Carnegie for the "Finer Moments" collection in 1972.

The fact this Road Tapes also enables us to hear George Duke doing what he did best along with Underwood being let loose on sax makes it all the more special.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Dark Clothes
Busy Poster
Post 2016-06-29 10:16   [Quote] 
Disc 2 cracked the first time I took it out - literally split in two! This is the flimsiest fucking cd I've encountered. Another greedy record company ripping you off with inferior product?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 14 of 16 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT

Jump to: