Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Marc Ziegenhagen Midi Sequencing and Live Performances circa 1989 (rubbershirt)
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
DL-List
Complete: [ 90 ]

rubbershirt
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-12-01 23:14   [Quote] 
I know some of this has been heard before and has floated around with incorrect attribution etc. Marc sent me these recordings around the time he made them and I'm not even sure he has lower sourced copies at this point. I know he told me he hasn't heard some of this in 20 years. He was kind enough to work with me in making sure my notes and file names were accurate. Thanks Marc!

I think this is an important addition here particularly because these files include Marc's full sequencing of Sinister Footwear the complete ballet from the piano reduction and drum part. Parts of this piece we have heard many times before but if you scrub forward to about 13.20 into this piece you will hear a part and version of this composition that the performance by the Berkeley Symphony Orchestra's performance doesn't even hint at. To me it sounds like a new piece. A missing gem.

Frank Zappa Midi Sequencing and live performance by Marc Ziegenhagen
Plus Answering Machine Outgoing Messages recorded by Marc Ziegenhagen
All circa 1989

40:39 min, A

Some but not all tracks had a combination of noise reduction, EQ tweaking and small tweaks on fade outs.

Lineage: Cassette from Ziegenhagen to Rubbershirt > m4a > Amadeus Pro > flac

Marc Ziegenhagen Midi & More.txt
Answering Machine Drowning Witch.flac
Answering Machine Envelopes.flac
Answering Machine No 7.flac
Answering Machine Overture To A Holiday In Berlin.flac
Answering Machine Rite of Spring.flac
Bob in Dacron.flac
Envelopes - Piano Introduction to Little House I Used to Live In, Solo Piano Medley.flac
Envelopes (fm digital).flac
Mo and Herb's Vacation (bass and drums).flac
Mo n Herb's Vacation 3rd Movement.flac
Moggio.flac
Sad Jane Excerpt.flac
Sad Jane Harp Excerpt.flac
Sinister Footwear (complete ballet).flac

Some of Marc's thoughts on hearing these again:

Drowning Witch Answering Machine:
The FM Digital piano sound and the Lazer-blast bass notes both came from a Korg DS-8 synth. I recorded those two parts, then slowed it down and sang each note of the triads that make up the whole section. Singing each line was tricky, but I had the sheet music so I just spent a little time with it. The kind of time you have when you're 20, you know...

Envelopes:
The very first thing you hear is the descending vibraphone line from the beginning of Black Page (new age version). The rest of this, I imagine I played it in real time but then probably tweezed some velocities and aligned some notes and things like that. Korg DS-8, again. Basically a multi-timbral DX7 - FM digital synth.

Envelopes - Piano Introduction to "Little House I Used to Live In" Medley:
This was played on a baby grand piano and recorded in one of the studios at Berklee School of Music. It's the beginning of Envelopes into Piano Intro to Little House I Used To Live In. These two tracks were recorded separately but where meant to be joined together into one piece, so that has been done here with a little cross-fading between tracks.

Mo and Herb's Vacation:
This is just the bass and drum track, and it's incomplete (it stops just short of the killer septuplets at the end of the piece).

Sinister Footwear:
This was sequenced using the drum chart and the piano reduction. The dynamics are lacking SIGNIFICANTLY, and that always sorta eats at me when I listen to it.

Moggio:
This is from Marc's own transcription.

Last edited by rubbershirt on 2015-12-02 05:05; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-12-01 23:45   [Quote] 
Thank you both. Exclamation
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2015-12-02 07:59   [Quote] 
Thanks for these. But, what about track numbers? I suppose that the song order on the tape isn't alphabetical?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2015-12-02 15:10   [Quote] 
Thanks for this. I've traded some sheet music with Marc last year.

I'm wondering about the part of Sinister Footwear that "the Berkeley Symphony Orchestra's performance doesn't even hint at" - I've gone through these recordings several times, both with the orchestral score and the piano reduction, and I don't remember anything missing either in the scores or the recordings (then again, I don't trust my memory that much).

franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2015-12-02 23:11   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:

I'm wondering about the part of Sinister Footwear that "the Berkeley Symphony Orchestra's performance doesn't even hint at" - I've gone through these recordings several times, both with the orchestral score and the piano reduction, and I don't remember anything missing either in the scores or the recordings (then again, I don't trust my memory that much).

Is there a recording of the piano reduction that I am unaware of or are you referring to the sheet music? Would love to hear it performed. imslow
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2015-12-02 23:22   [Quote] 
franktomatozappa wrote:
Is there a recording of the piano reduction that I am unaware of or are you referring to the sheet music?

Just the sheet music. As far as I remember, minor details/copying mistakes aside, the reduction matches the original score, and the BSO's performances match both scores.

After downloading this, I remembered that Marc had already sent me his MIDI sequence of Sinister Footwear, and I never checked it out. So now might be a good oportunity.

Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-12-02 23:41   [Quote] 
This is great, much apprechiated!

Thanks!
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
rubbershirt
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-12-03 02:44   [Quote] 
BengoFury wrote:
Thanks for these. But, what about track numbers? I suppose that the song order on the tape isn't alphabetical?

BengoFury,
There were culled from a few different tapes I have which had other non-relevant stuff, so there is no track order to refer to. It should really read Cassettes not Cassette as in:
Cassettes from Ziegenhagen to Rubbershirt > m4a > Amadeus Pro > flac

Sorry
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rubbershirt
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-12-03 02:58   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:

My bad for being unclear and not knowing my audience. I'm talking about the emotive effect that having vastly improved rhythm, tempo and pitch results in. My point is that for those who only have the Berkeley performance to go by, they might not even care to listen this sequenced version. I think that would be a shame. I apologize if that led anyone to waste time searching for notes not in the score and or Berkeley Performance. It's subjective of course, but it blew my mind the first time I heard Marc's sequence, and I still think it's underrated!

Thanks
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rubbershirt
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-12-03 03:00   [Quote] 
franktomatozappa wrote:
yetanother wrote:

Is there a recording of the piano reduction that I am unaware of or are you referring to the sheet music? Would love to hear it performed. imslow

As far as I know there are no known recordings of the piano reduction. (Maybe someone will prove me wrong. That would be cool!) Marc used it essentially as a score when sequencing this.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-12-03 03:10   [Quote] 
This torrent is just like a new FZ album!

How about: "Dance Midi This"? #102 Very Happy

Thanks again rubbershirt and Marc Ziegenhagen.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2015-12-03 13:06   [Quote] 
rubbershirt wrote:
yetanother wrote:

My bad for being unclear and not knowing my audience. I'm talking about the emotive effect that having vastly improved rhythm, tempo and pitch results in. My point is that for those who only have the Berkeley performance to go by, they might not even care to listen this sequenced version. I think that would be a shame. I apologize if that led anyone to waste time searching for notes not in the score and or Berkeley Performance.

Ahh, OK, thanks for clarifying. And don't worry, there's never a moment wasted with this music Wink

To be honest I still haven't found the time to listen to it, but I do agree that the BSO recordings aren't good for much other than appreciating the instrumentation and orchestration, and that (ironically) any computer-rendered "performance" would be much more faithful to the essence of the music. I've always dreamt of what could be done by someone with the orchestral score, a good knowledge of VSTs, and enough time on their hands. Very Happy

[Actually, there are people who do this kind of stuff for money, so in principle, if there were enough Zappateers interested in that, it would be possible to produce a full-blown, absolutely accurate, hi-fi orchestral recording of the whole thing at a reasonably low cost (all things - by which I mean the duration of the piece and the size of the orchestra - considered).]

chuck
Poster
australia.gif
Post 2015-12-04 06:53   [Quote] 
Big thanks for this.

The sinister footwear is really great to hear here. The BSO version is very hard to get a handle on, some great music in there but just sort of blury in the performance. This captures the intent I think better even if midi doesn't sound as good as a real orchestra.

yetanother's idea is pretty good, that would be worth donating to for Sinister Footwear until some orchestra finally does a proper performance. Just how much would that cost though?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Zappamaniac
Busy Poster
germany.gif
Post 2015-12-05 20:44   [Quote] 
WOW Holy Shit!

I'm soooo thankful for rubbershirt uploading this and for Marc doing this. Can you imagine how many weeks Marc needed to type in the whole Sinister Footwear ballet? I thought I was a Zappa freak, but this guy is really out there (What does he do now BTW? I would like to know more about this guy, the only thing I know is that he participated in the Zappa's Universe concerts although he is not seen in the video). This is really the best version we have for now of the whole ballet.
This whole collection sounds pretty much like a lost Synclavier album.
We figured out already that the "UMRK telephone messages" are Marc's creation, but we didn't know who did those solo piano versions of Envelopes/Little House and Black Page (why is this not included in this seed?). Interesting that the Zappa community thought it is Tommy Mars or Peter Wolf (it is even listed at FZShows ca. 1978). Marc should see it as compliment, though.

Don´t let your meat loaf
Heh, heh, heh
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rubbershirt
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-12-05 22:07   [Quote] 
Zappamaniac There is a solo piano rendition of The Black Page that I believe is credited to Tommy Mars. That's not Marc and I have no reason to assume it's not Tommy Mars.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Related All times are GMT

Jump to: