Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Roxy by Proxy CD and the Zappa Roxy DVD
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
mikeh69
usa.gif
Post 2015-11-04 15:19   [Quote] 
First what I don't understand " Frankly " why couldn't Gail at the time couldn't just have Joe Travers remix all the 16 track tapes of all 3 dates of the Roxy performances and make it like a 4 CD box or something. Instead we get a Bob Stone 1987 old digital transfer tape that was mixed in 1987 or 2011 ? I just don't understand that at all or get it that CD could of sounded a million times better than it does ( that digital tape medium is just too old/dated ) Actually the info just isn't clear to me. And the movie that was just released as great as it is and again according to the Roxy CD booklet at the time the movie wasn't going to be released at all due to the failure of financial backing ? But because I think because Gail had terminal cancer and ended up dying that she finally just gave in and wanted to do this project to see it done for her last accomplishment for herself and Frank's fans and made a 90 minute movie out of it which yeah it's fantastic but again like this proxy CD the ZFT seemed to " cheap " out a little. Personally I think all of this could of been accomplished.

1 All the Roxy performances should of been remixed by Joe Travers now and released as a small box set. $$$$
2 The 4+ hours of footage should of all been edited and released on DVD with the audio remixed from the 16 track. $$$$

So this IMO this could of been a Roxy completed Nirvana but both releases were not completed like I think it could of have.
The other releases that Gail released were all mixed from the multi tracks and after Franks' passing and before Gail's passing about 25 titles were released and they are exquisite.

Between Dweezil what he is making on his ZPZ tours playing all his fathers music you think he could of afforded to make both of the Roxy dreams possible.
But both were short changed. Crying or Very sad

We do have 30 minutes of Zappa's old edit of Montana and Dupress Paradise and the small section of Dummy Up in the video tape of The Making of 200 Motels.
Maybe one day these two " simple " projects could be accomplished. But till then. This is what we will see and hear of the legendary Roxy Performances of 1973. And while I'm on it where is that 1973 master video tape from Sweden. What a awesome performance that is but till then we got decent bootlegs of it. They should find that HD it and remaster the mono audio on it. I doubt it if there was a multi track tape of that concert.... Otherwise.... Are they any bootlegs of the three Roxy days in their entirety that would be a interesting listen.

Last edited by mikeh69 on 2015-11-04 17:26; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2015-11-04 16:28   [Quote] 
well, until we know what release 102 is I wouldn't complain so much.
As the cd sndtrk w/the movie is numbered 102.2 I think that indicates 102 will be Roxy related.
Maybe it will be that box you seek.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
YaKuzna
italy.gif
Post 2015-11-04 17:09   [Quote] 
Far from me taking ZFT's (Gail) side on the 40 years waiting time for the Roxy Movie and extra tapes!
The time has passed, each did what thought best doing, nobody cares about the fans' opinions or market requests. Everyone's got a mind of his/her own.
I think Frank should have focused more on the Roxy in all shapes and forms, instead of doing little this and little that. But nobody saw his cancer coming.
Dub Room is fine, so is Does Humor but they feel incomplete. It looks like Frank was a far better musician than business man and Gail certainly kept changing pampers in those days. (not trying to speak bad of anyone, that was her self definition.)

Im still very happy with the movie, the original Lps and the Proxy cd. I do hope Universal will release more Roxy LPs(cds) and other full concerts. I for one, have patience. Ive been practicing it for 40 years and meanwhile, I listen to what's available. Sure the Movie revived an old thirst...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mikeh69
usa.gif
Post 2015-11-04 19:09   [Quote] 
Frank unfortunately wasn't alive before the DVD and the BLU RAY and computers all the 21 century mediums... Which he probably would of found fascinating and would of used it to great lengths. During his lifetime he really had only the LP the CD and the VHS as release mediums. Although he did release box sets and would use the CD and fill them up pretty good with unreleased material. His life was cut short. And that to us will always be sad... Always.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2015-11-04 23:48   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
well, until we know what release 102 is I wouldn't complain so much.
As the cd sndtrk w/the movie is numbered 102.2 I think that indicates 102 will be Roxy related.
Maybe it will be that box you seek.

I'm afraid release #102 is already out.
In my case, I found labelled as 102.2 the CD which came with the DVD in the package. The package and DVD are not numbered.
I think ZFT is numbering only the audio releases.
It is as if the package is 102, the DVD is 102.1 (not officialized) and the CD is 102.2.
If it was a video-only release >>>> no number.
Am I wrong ? I hope so Very Happy

JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-11-05 00:22   [Quote] 
mikeh69 wrote:

2 The 4+ hours of footage should of all been edited and released on DVD with the audio remixed from the 16 track. $$$$

As has been pointed out numerous times, this is impossible because there was so much useless footage. The finished movie is loaded with edits and inserts from different shows to make it watchable at all. They certainly couldn't do that with every performance.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mikeh69
usa.gif
Post 2015-11-05 03:00   [Quote] 
Really I didn't know that. So basically what was released although as you know some other footage exists outside the 90 minute movie. So a lot in those cans was useless footage. A shame there so many other songs and performances. Trouble Every Day I would of loved to see as other songs. But they did capture of lot of the essence of the show...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mikeh69
usa.gif
Post 2015-11-05 03:06   [Quote] 
However a complete Roxy remix of all three days probably could be released as a box set. But that looks unlikely too.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2015-11-05 03:37   [Quote] 
mikeh69 wrote:
Trouble Every Day I would of loved to see as other songs.

No "Trouble Every Day" at the Roxy. That was from the "Elsewhere" shows recorded in May 1974.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-11-05 04:09   [Quote] 
mikeh69 wrote:
Really I didn't know that. So basically what was released although as you know some other footage exists outside the 90 minute movie. So a lot in those cans was useless footage. A shame there so many other songs and performances. Trouble Every Day I would of loved to see as other songs. But they did capture of lot of the essence of the show...

Pretty much all of the songs performed at the Roxy have been released in one way or another. Besides the main movie and the three bonus tracks, there is "Montana" (on the Apostrophe DVD), "Dummy Up" (on the True 200 Motels VHS) and "Dupree's Paradise" (on Zappa.com). The two songs that do not appear on video are on the "Roxy By Proxy" CD.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2015-11-05 10:24   [Quote] 
Yep. I personally don't need more Roxy stuff. For the Elsewhere part on the other hand...

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
burma.gif
Post 2015-11-05 12:32   [Quote] 
is it all right to say that I'm a bit bored with the Roxy additions?

Roxy and Elsewhere would make a good single album otherwise nothing of the new stuff has inspired me...

The joke songs have been made so many times that they are not funny anymore and make the ''vaudeville' band sound sophisticated.

The playing of the band is excellent but sounds better after Frank's edit than the actual live performance.

The DVD is okay but am I the only one who finds in general films of bands playing a bit dull?

I much preferred the Road Tapes releases rather than ROXY and Dance Me This (throat singing - you gotta be joking!)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2015-11-05 14:38   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
am I the only one who finds in general films of bands playing a bit dull?

I tend to feel that way about footage of ordinary bands... which doesn't include THIS band, of course.

throat singing - you gotta be joking!

Not a fan of guttural sounds? That's too bad. I love 'em.

DoctorNerve
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-11-05 14:43   [Quote] 
is it all right to say that I'm a bit bored with the Roxy additions?

Roxy and Elsewhere would make a good single album otherwise nothing of the new stuff has inspired me...

The joke songs have been made so many times that they are not funny anymore and make the ''vaudeville' band sound sophisticated.

The playing of the band is excellent but sounds better after Frank's edit than the actual live performance.

The DVD is okay but am I the only one who finds in general films of bands playing a bit dull?

I much preferred the Road Tapes releases rather than ROXY and Dance Me This (throat singing - you gotta be joking!)

I personally still reach for the Road Tapes #2 release before the Roxy ones. No shame in liking equally badass stuff. Razz

uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2015-11-05 16:08   [Quote] 
[quote="yetanother"]
am I the only one who finds in general films of bands playing a bit dull?

I tend to feel that way about footage of ordinary bands... which doesn't include THIS band, of course.

I too am bored by live show DVDs (infact I rarely watch them more than once), but this one .... oh my God !!!!

I am also bored by guitar solo albums, but not by SUNPYG, etc.

It very much depends on who is the artist (and in this case, ARTist is really appropriate) Very Happy

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 5 Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: