Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Can we talk Spring/Summer '80?
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
warewolf95
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-08-30 03:22   [Quote] 
This is a really interesting tour for me despite it's "negative" opinion among most people.

Obviously it has it's major flaws - the slow tempos, the repetitive setlist (winter '78 anyone? But some would argue that was better song choice Wink ), Logeman behind the kit, etc.

I'm interested in what others have to say about this tour.

I'm going through all my shows and have 35 shows from this pair of tours. For such a loathed tour there sure is a load of great sounding recordings! Smile

Ok, until today, I had only ever in passing listened to:

4/01 Berkeley, both shows
4/29 Upper Darby (back before we had both full sbds's)
5/24 Rotterdam
6/21 Geneva

Today I listened to
1980 03 25 Seattle WA 108.18 AUD (pbuzby)

and am now listening to
1980 03 26 Vancouver, BC Aud 1st gen 87.58 (teasea)

I am really, really enjoying these two. Much more than I expected. I'm sure most of us would probably agree that one's interest in this tour might rely heavily on their liking of YAWYI, considering that is basically the setlist. Smile

I love that album to bits, so as far as songs go, I don't mind the static set, although it would get annoying to me for any other tour.....

Surprisingly, the slow tempos aren't bothering be at all as much as they did previously. Don't know why. I'm kind of enjoying the more laid-back nature of it all so far.

I kind of view this tour to YAWYI as Fall '77/Winter '78 was to Sheik Yerbouti (minus the good reputation, haha)

Also, I must say that Logeman is totally killing on these two shows. I forgot Vinnie wasn't there. Why is he so underrated?

So, yea. That's my thoughts on this tour today. What does everyone else think of this tour? I find it a bit curious.

tasfa potumba
usa.gif
Post 2015-08-30 03:43   [Quote] 
I don't have much to add myself- but Easter Sunday 1980 was the ONLY time I saw Zappa live!

I was 15 years old, had been a Zappa fanatic for 2 years. The first contemporary LP I bought was Sheik Yerbouti, and I LOVED it! Of course, I had snapped up most of his previous albums and had an affinity for the Verve albums. When I read the liner notes to Freak Out! with it's allusions to plastic High School people and that the educational system in America was cheap, (which I was in the middle of and hated!), I was a Changed Man!

I also dug Bozzio and the newer songs. All concerts I had been to at at the time had been typical: some new songs and some familiar songs. That's what I expected.

So the band comes onstage and I didn't recognize any of them except Ike Willis. Disappointed. I recognized "Watermelon In Easter Hay", I'd only just gotten Joe's Garage a few months before, so I figured they'd be playing heavily off of that. Nope! I didn't recognize hardly any of the songs, and the sound was bad where I was. I didn't realize then Frank didn't play the real old stuff much. I didn't know then that the live Zappa experience was different than the LPs. I know that now, and upon hearing some shows from that era, the stripped down band is quite nice and funky!

If I knew then what I knew now.....!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
warewolf95
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-08-30 04:07   [Quote] 
tasfa potumba wrote:
I don't have much to add myself- but Easter Sunday 1980 was the ONLY time I saw Zappa live!

I was 15 years old, had been a Zappa fanatic for 2 years. The first contemporary LP I bought was Sheik Yerbouti, and I LOVED it! Of course, I had snapped up most of his previous albums and had an affinity for the Verve albums. When I read the liner notes to Freak Out! with it's allusions to plastic High School people and that the educational system in America was cheap, (which I was in the middle of and hated!), I was a Changed Man!

I also dug Bozzio and the newer songs. All concerts I had been to at at the time had been typical: some new songs and some familiar songs. That's what I expected.

So the band comes onstage and I didn't recognize any of them except Ike Willis. Disappointed. I recognized "Watermelon In Easter Hay", I'd only just gotten Joe's Garage a few months before, so I figured they'd be playing heavily off of that. Nope! I didn't recognize hardly any of the songs, and the sound was bad where I was. I didn't realize then Frank didn't play the real old stuff much. I didn't know then that the live Zappa experience was different than the LPs. I know that now, and upon hearing some shows from that era, the stripped down band is quite nice and funky!

Any Downers produced some killer shredding on Frank's part! Smile

Mind me asking what show you were at? You say Easter sunday, but that changes every year.

Thanks for the awesome story!

warewolf95
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-08-30 04:20   [Quote] 
1980 03 26 - Vancouver

WOW!

Take a listen to this Easy Meat! What a version! I've never heard one with a vamp like this - very active and still "stuck" in the "classical section" of the tune, if you will. I really prefer this.

Never heard Frank soloing during certain parts of the song like he does on this one. Wow.

tasfa potumba
usa.gif
Post 2015-08-30 05:38   [Quote] 
warewolf95 wrote:
tasfa potumba wrote:

Mind me asking what show you were at? You say Easter sunday, but that changes every year.

Los Angeles Sports Arena, April 6, 1980!

At 15, I wasn't quite ready for the epic solos and knowing how to get inside of them. I certainly do now!!!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2015-08-30 05:45   [Quote] 
Indeed this is one of my least favorite chapters in Zappa's live activities, but I remember also liking one of those very early shows quite a bit. Maybe it was 1980-03-26, or probably 03-27? Anyway I was surprised too how much I enyoyed it; the band+program sounded quite fresh to my ears.

One of my personal highlights from all things live-Zappa is the '80 Munich-version of "Mudd Club". Love that one!

The setlists might be quite repetitive, but they had a really big load to repeat. And here's a few rare tunes that also have been thrown in in spring/summer 1980:
Let's Move to Cleveland, He Used To Cut The Grass, Zoot Allures, Dong Work For Yuda, A Little Green Rosetta, In France

That's not bad at all, repertoire-wise, huh?

warewolf95
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-08-30 06:13   [Quote] 
cookie_manager wrote:
Indeed this is one of my least favorite chapters in Zappa's live activities, but I remember also liking one of those very early shows quite a bit. Maybe it was 1980-03-26, or probably 03-27? Anyway I was surprised too how much I enyoyed it; the band+program sounded quite fresh to my ears.

One of my personal highlights from all things live-Zappa is the '80 Munich-version of "Mudd Club". Love that one!

The setlists might be quite repetitive, but they had a really big load to repeat. And here's a few rare tunes that also have been thrown in in spring/summer 1980:
Let's Move to Cleveland, He Used To Cut The Grass, Zoot Allures, Dong Work For Yuda, A Little Green Rosetta, In France

That's not bad at all, repertoire-wise, huh?

I never knew He Used To Cut The Grass was ever played! The things you learn. Smile

Yea, so far these early shows (halfway through Sacramento, atm) are really energetic. Much more than the later shows I recall offhand hearing. I always remembered this tour as being rather "sluggish", but even with the lower tempos I haven't felt that with these first 3 shows. Interested to see where it will go.....

Also, Frank isn't soloing much, but when he does, wowie zowie! Smile

warewolf95
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-08-30 06:14   [Quote] 
tasfa potumba wrote:
warewolf95 wrote:
tasfa potumba wrote:

Los Angeles Sports Arena, April 6, 1980!

At 15, I wasn't quite ready for the epic solos and knowing how to get inside of them. I certainly do now!!!

Lucky you, there are two recordigns of that show currently in the shoebox! Smile

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-08-30 06:48   [Quote] 
I am not so put off by Logeman as others but I must say that the general sound of the early 80's band is a bit 'plastic'. I'm ok with the slower tempos.
I'm someone who believes Frank was at his peak as a guitarist in 1979, (It's nowhere near as simple as that but that's a whole other topic or two....Wink ) so guitar-wise a lot is expected from spring/summer '80 (from me at least). Remember that this is the first tour he didn't use the SG that he'd been using for the previous 5 years or more but instead had that beautiful Les Paul Custom that made a truly awsome sound....
The setlists are a little repetetive but there are some great guitar vehicles there... Any Downers, If Only She Woulda, Conehead, Pick Me I'm Clean. Easy Meat, Chunga's Revenge, Outside Now, The Illinois Enema Bandit, City Of Tiny Lights, Watermelon etc. etc.

FOB. Smile

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2015-08-30 07:17   [Quote] 
I like this tour more than Fall 1980, which is my least favorite tour (everything superfast... Vinnie, which I really loved in 1978 and 1979, really gets on my nerves, sorry guys). I think Logeman is unfairly maligned, he's pretty great. I'll have to listen back some more shows, but I remember this one, in spite of the poor sound all around, being my favorite.

cheers

franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2015-08-30 09:39   [Quote] 
Galeans wrote:
I like this tour more than Fall 1980, which is my least favorite tour (everything superfast... Vinnie, which I really loved in 1978 and 1979, really gets on my nerves, sorry guys). I think Logeman is unfairly maligned, he's pretty great.

Word cooler
 [Profile]  [PM] 
warewolf95
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-08-30 12:02   [Quote] 
franktomatozappa wrote:
Galeans wrote:
I like this tour more than Fall 1980, which is my least favorite tour (everything superfast... Vinnie, which I really loved in 1978 and 1979, really gets on my nerves, sorry guys). I think Logeman is unfairly maligned, he's pretty great.

Word cooler

Interesting to hear this opinion.

Fall '80 is one of my absolute favorite tours. I can't stand the ultra-fast Keep It Greasy, but I love pretty much everything else.

Logeman is underrated as fuck, imo. Smile

Very cool to see some support for this tour - wasn't expecting that.

pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2015-08-30 13:53   [Quote] 
warewolf95 wrote:
1980 03 26 - Vancouver

WOW!

Take a listen to this Easy Meat! What a version! I've never heard one with a vamp like this - very active and still "stuck" in the "classical section" of the tune, if you will. I really prefer this.

Never heard Frank soloing during certain parts of the song like he does on this one. Wow.

Can't say I'm a big fan of that vamp, but if you like it, it continues through sometime around April 25 or 26, when FZ inserted the slow 3/4 "He Used To Cut The Grass" vamp into Easy Meat.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2015-08-30 14:21   [Quote] 
BTW, as much as I enjoy the shows with Logeman, the Jan/Feb 80 rehearsal tapes are also an important listen as they hint at what could have happened if Colaiuta had played the tour.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2015-08-30 16:20   [Quote] 
More than Logeman (really cool drummer I think), the thing that I dislike the most about this tour is the over-use of the Moog Bass Synth, and Tommy Mars brass tone all the time without a second keyboard player. I mean come on, I hate this sound.

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 6 Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT

Jump to: