Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
wav > flac
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker
StrokeTheBoots
Power Poster
Post 2015-08-05 14:59   [Quote] 
Since this is a standard procedure here when preparing tracks and shows for the tracker I am just wondering how come that WAVE files are much larger than FLAC files if they have the same quality.

Thinking about saving space on my external hard drives by converting all .wav-files that I have into .flac-files....but I am not sure if there are pro's an con's for that plan...

mrnym
usa.gif
Post 2015-08-05 15:09   [Quote] 
FLAC is a lossless audio compression. I'll leave the explanation to more knowledgeable folks. I think FLAC players decode them on fly while playing, but not quite sure how that works. Some audio players won't play FLAC, but most do. More of an issue is whether the player has gapless playback. Few things are more annoying to me that a slight gap of silence between tracks where the music should be continuous...which is pretty much all Zappa live material.

No loss in quality, smaller file size. Win/win.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-08-05 17:36   [Quote] 
This is something I've wondered about too......
If wave and flac are the same quality what's the use of wave?

FOB. hmm

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mycroftxxx
Contributor
nepal.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-08-05 19:17   [Quote] 
if you burn to cd to listen in the car you need wav files...

or a program that turns flac files to wav as it burns the cd...

it isn't that wav files and flac files are the 'same quality'

it's that flac files can be turned back into wav files with no loss of data, whereas mp3 files can't be...

we can trade wav files if you really want to...

we all (almost all) have high speed internet of some sort, so sending larger files isn't the trouble it was back when the internet was small copper wire filled tubes...

but it's faster to trade the flac files...

you can flac your wav files if you want to free up disc space, with the assurance that you can make them back into wav files with no loss of data...

you can mp3 them if you want them smaller still, but if you convert those mp3 files back to wav there will be some loss of data...

StrokeTheBoots
Power Poster
Post 2015-08-05 20:01   [Quote] 
thanks guys! great help! Smile

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-08-05 20:13   [Quote] 
Oh yeah.... I forgot about all that stuff... Thanks very much for ''reminding'' me....
One particular thing you said...
mycroftxxx wrote:
it isn't that wav files and flac files are the 'same quality'

it's that flac files can be turned back into wav files with no loss of data...

...makes me want to ask last question, If an audiophile with ''good''ears listens to a wave file played by a wave file player, and then the same track in flac on a 'flac player', could he tell the difference? (ie: is there any loss while the file is in its flac state?) I'm just trying to get my head around something being smaller without losing anything...

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
 [Profile]  [PM] 
StrokeTheBoots
Power Poster
Post 2015-08-05 21:01   [Quote] 

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-08-05 21:14   [Quote] 
Thanks STB
(Although having read the answer I think this is one of those occasions where I regret asking the question.....)

FOB. headhammer

[Profile]  [PM] 
mycroftxxx
Contributor
nepal.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-08-05 21:58   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
something being smaller without losing anything...

it's not that it's smaller without losing anything, it's that once being made smaller it can be made back without losing anything...

and whatever flac player you use to listen to a flac file is remaking it for you as you listen, without altering the file...

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-08-06 06:28   [Quote] 
Thank you m'xxx

FOB. Smile

[Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2015-08-06 12:45   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
If an audiophile with ''good''ears listens to a wave file played by a wave file player, and then the same track in flac on a 'flac player', could he tell the difference?

Provided the players are of a decent quality and don't introduce any additional distortion to the signal: if he can, he's full of shit. Wink

arf
Poster
france.gif
Post 2016-07-13 06:27   [Quote] 
 [Profile]  [PM] 
doctorzap
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-07-13 07:38   [Quote] 
arf wrote:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0716/Why_Do_WAV_And_FLAC_Files_Sound_Different.htm

if true i guess all our work was for nothing !

and our collections are now rubbish
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
poldino
Busy Poster
uk.gif
Post 2016-07-13 20:08   [Quote] 
arf wrote:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0716/Why_Do_WAV_And_FLAC_Files_Sound_Different.htm

That article will be debunked shortly, I have no doubt. Flac is lossless, meaning no data is lost. If you take a file, compress it with flac then decompress it, it will be exactly the same. You can prove this for yourself in a couple with minutes with a copy of flac and a checksum tool (md5sum, for example).

https://xiph.org/flac/faq.html#general__lossless_trust

They witter on about metadata quite a lot. I suspect the authors have faulty software. They probably don't know how to use it properly and when they think they're converting directly from wav to flac, or from flac to wav, they're actually going via a lossy intermediate format. It's not clear why they converted the files in both directions 5 times without thinking to produce a hash of the files to prove they've changed. But they also mention the height of the instruments, and that rebooting some device or other had the effect of increasing the height of the harp by as many as 9 inches. Perhaps they should have used to chicken to measure it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2016-08-30 20:55   [Quote] 
Which WAV to FLAC converter software would you recommend ?

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker All times are GMT

Jump to: