Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1970 05 15 Los Angeles CA 98.32 Aud 2nd (davmar77-av-BB-Pigman-flambay-JWB) ZTLS#630 part 2
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
ivester
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2014-06-10 10:59   [Quote] 
Thanks so much guys for these two 1970 treats. It was a fascinating year in Frank's history. I don't think his music ever really "developed" or "changed" over the years - all of his various interests were present from the beginning - but 1970 seemed to be the year when he started to realize some opportunities to have his different styles of music performed by more varied, and better skilled, groups of musicians. So to have these two documents in clearer sound is priceless!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2014-06-10 11:17   [Quote] 
Galeans wrote:
cosmikd wrote:
TMOQ sounding portion is really good! recorded on stage by FZ himself ?

I'm listening and I'd say no. Drums are a bit too thin, I think a stage recording would sound a little bit fuller, just like in "Carnegie Hall". Plus, there is occasional talking. Personally, I'd say that it is an excellent live recording of an event which FZ couldn't save, so we are lucky! That section is a great recording which can be enjoyed even by purists, in my opinion!

cheers

I believe that both of these Los Angeles shows were recorded by the TMOQ label owners themselves and were specifically recorded to be released as boots, which is why these sources sound so good...likely 1st gen. The "200 Motels" boot was reportedly on the streets less than a month after the concert! Davmar77's 2nd gen copies seem to come from the uncut pre-LP reels, though they have problems and sound very dark. I'd like to see both shows with better lineage. At least we know it's possible now.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2014-06-10 11:18   [Quote] 
Galeans wrote:
cosmikd wrote:
TMOQ sounding portion is really good! recorded on stage by FZ himself ?

I'm listening and I'd say no. Drums are a bit too thin, I think a stage recording would sound a little bit fuller, just like in "Carnegie Hall". Plus, there is occasional talking. Personally, I'd say that it is an excellent live recording of an event which FZ couldn't save, so we are lucky! That section is a great recording which can be enjoyed even by purists, in my opinion!

cheers

yes. a shame that there does not seem to be another source for the orchestra portion though. I wish that one was complete. It sounds beautiful. A great medley.

Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2014-06-10 21:20   [Quote] 
Gwonam wrote:
Al Fresco wrote:
cosmikd wrote:
Thank you! what a pity that FZ was not able to record this concert...

I would bet that it was recorded "a la Carnegie Hall" by someone close to him. Wink

Many thanks for the upgrade.

there's a passage in the real FZ book about him not being allowed to record the show, but no one preventing "some bugger" in the audience from doing so. i wish he could've, but i'm sure we would've seen something. (or does that emoticon mean anything?)

Have a look here:

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=26464

Tape # 9
9. Mothers/LA Philharmonic 5 reel ? ? ? Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2014-06-10 21:48   [Quote] 
That's interesting (although I notice a reel from "Worchestshire" is also on the list - does this have anything to do with the mislabelled "Worcester" tape that used to circulate?).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
afharrold
uk.gif
Post 2014-06-11 09:21   [Quote] 
Thanks for this, such a great show.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2014-06-11 09:30   [Quote] 
Al Fresco wrote:

Have a look here:

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=26464

Tape # 9
9. Mothers/LA Philharmonic 5 reel ? ? ? Smile
Very Happy Looks yummy!

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2014-06-11 20:22   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
That's interesting (although I notice a reel from "Worchestshire" is also on the list - does this have anything to do with the mislabelled "Worcester" tape that used to circulate?).

Maybe so. But it's listed as two hours, whereas the circulating tape was only eighty minutes. Then again, Appleton and Ravinia are also listed as two hours, and it sounds like Don hadn't listened to the tapes recently. So maybe those durations are inaccurate.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
poncho villa
uk.gif
Post 2014-06-11 22:09   [Quote] 
Thanks for this, I was reading about it in Scott Parker's Strictly Genteel, and then here it is!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
jazzlady
usa.gif
Post 2014-06-13 14:54   [Quote] 
Thank you very much for sharing this!

I still have the TMOQ 2 LP boot with the partials of both these shows. I have never heard the other material (until today). Smile

"Music is the best." - FZ
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Elmonteman
Post 2014-06-14 00:52   [Quote] 
Thank you for this superb upgrade.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vudicus
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2014-06-15 18:33   [Quote] 
The TMOQ guys who recorded this and the Olympic show used a Senheiser 805 shotgun mic (painted black to look less obvious) with a UHER 400 portable reel to reel @ 7.5 IPS.

The first shows they did with this kit was the Rolling Stones 1969 shows.
They bought this gear with the money they made from selling the Dylan - Great White Wonder boot.

squalogiallo
italy.gif
Post 2015-01-10 19:03   [Quote] 
grazie!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2015-01-10 20:04   [Quote] 
vudicus wrote:
The TMOQ guys who recorded this and the Olympic show used a Senheiser 805 shotgun mic (painted black to look less obvious) with a UHER 400 portable reel to reel @ 7.5 IPS.

The first shows they did with this kit was the Rolling Stones 1969 shows.
They bought this gear with the money they made from selling the Dylan - Great White Wonder boot.

and the results speak for themselves. a clarity rarely heard in audience recordings from that era IMO.

bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2015-09-09 07:30   [Quote] 
Anyone knows why Ray Collins is heard saying "It's bullshit, it's still bullshit" during the drum solo and at the very end of the show? Could he be referring to the music...?

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 3 of 5 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Shows All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: