Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1970 05 15 Los Angeles CA 98.32 Aud 2nd (davmar77-av-BB-Pigman-flambay-JWB) ZTLS#630 part 2
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Shows
Author Message
Elkana
Joined: 2008-04-11
Posts: 31
denmark.gif
Post 2014-06-09 05:05   [Quote] 
Thank you!! wow, in just two days new seeds of two great 1970 shows! prost

Elkana
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
Joined: 2005-06-15
Posts: 716
Location: Washington DC
usa.gif
Post 2014-06-09 08:16   [Quote] 
Wonderful. Been meaning to listen to this show again. Now i can in upgraded form!

-"Later that night"---This sounds amazing!!! Thank you thank you!!!


Last edited by vivalapsych on 2014-06-09 09:06; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
Joined: 2006-07-25
Posts: 1693
france.gif
Post 2014-06-09 08:25   [Quote] 
Man I love this show!

_________________
Alialiala...
Alialialalilalialila...

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
Joined: 2005-06-15
Posts: 716
Location: Washington DC
usa.gif
Post 2014-06-09 09:13   [Quote] 
from IINK:

"200 Motels" (Contempo 70, May 15, 1970)
FZ: Hello? OK. I would like to make an announcement about this orchestra piece that uh, the Los Angeles Philharmonic is gonna crank off for you now . . . Uhm, first of all, I'll tell you about the one that they aren't gonna crank off for you now. It seems that uh, Mr. Powell has left and he took the tape with him, and uh, so, they aren't going to play Immobiles 4. However, they are going to play 200 Motels, and the story on that is, it's a collection of sketches that was orchestrated uh, recently, the sketches having been written over a pair of years when uh, I thought it'd be fun to be a composer, and then during the past week I got to listen to them playing the stuff here at rehearsals. And I saw all the horrible errors that I made. Too late to change it! You get to hear all the mistakes too. And it's not really a great piece of music, but we might be able to get off a couple of times in it. So . . . All right, Zubin, hit it!

My question is: What was/is "Immobiles 4"????????????
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Enema Bandit
Busy Poster
Joined: 2006-11-17
Posts: 893
Location: Utopia
portugal.gif
Post 2014-06-09 10:38   [Quote] 
Many thanks for the upgrade!
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Gwonam
Power Poster
Joined: 2011-07-25
Posts: 1114
Location: middle of nowhere
germany.gif
Post 2014-06-09 15:26   [Quote] 
it's a good show. One of the best performances the old Mothers ever gave. Downright aggressive at times. Oh and the orchestra parts are beautiful.

_________________
alive and living in hologram form
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
chrisfromparis
Joined: 2005-08-29
Posts: 217
Location: Not in Paris anymore
france.gif
Post 2014-06-09 15:36   [Quote] 
vivalapsych wrote:
from IINK:

"200 Motels" (Contempo 70, May 15, 1970)
FZ: Hello? OK. I would like to make an announcement about this orchestra piece that uh, the Los Angeles Philharmonic is gonna crank off for you now . . . Uhm, first of all, I'll tell you about the one that they aren't gonna crank off for you now. It seems that uh, Mr. Powell has left and he took the tape with him, and uh, so, they aren't going to play Immobiles 4. However, they are going to play 200 Motels, and the story on that is, it's a collection of sketches that was orchestrated uh, recently, the sketches having been written over a pair of years when uh, I thought it'd be fun to be a composer, and then during the past week I got to listen to them playing the stuff here at rehearsals. And I saw all the horrible errors that I made. Too late to change it! You get to hear all the mistakes too. And it's not really a great piece of music, but we might be able to get off a couple of times in it. So . . . All right, Zubin, hit it!

My question is: What was/is "Immobiles 4"????????????


Immobiles is a composition for chamber ensemble and tape written in 1967 by Mel Powell, who was the dean of the school of music at Cal Arts.
Some more information about the Contempo incident : http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/docs/ten_years/05.html (scroll down to the section "The Night That Mel Powell Packed Up and Went Home")
Here are two links to listen to Immobiles as performed by the California E.A.R. Unit in 2001 :
http://www.deezer.com/track/12115413
http://open.spotify.com/track/5PYYeNs6IdqnyjiS9jxxE1
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
Joined: 2005-12-16
Posts: 3661
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2014-06-09 16:05   [Quote] 
cosmikd wrote:
Thank you! what a pity that FZ was not able to record this concert...


I would bet that it was recorded "a la Carnegie Hall" by someone close to him. Wink

Many thanks for the upgrade.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Gwonam
Power Poster
Joined: 2011-07-25
Posts: 1114
Location: middle of nowhere
germany.gif
Post 2014-06-09 16:24   [Quote] 
Al Fresco wrote:
cosmikd wrote:
Thank you! what a pity that FZ was not able to record this concert...


I would bet that it was recorded "a la Carnegie Hall" by someone close to him. Wink

Many thanks for the upgrade.


there's a passage in the real FZ book about him not being allowed to record the show, but no one preventing "some bugger" in the audience from doing so. i wish he could've, but i'm sure we would've seen something. (or does that emoticon mean anything?)

_________________
alive and living in hologram form
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
Joined: 2005-04-30
Posts: 8563
usa.gif
Post 2014-06-09 16:40   [Quote] 
My guess is that FZ took the risk at Carnegie Hall 1971 because the penalties if he had been caught recording his rock group were much less than if he had been caught recording an orchestra.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
chrisfromparis
Joined: 2005-08-29
Posts: 217
Location: Not in Paris anymore
france.gif
Post 2014-06-09 21:27   [Quote] 
Crank this one up very loud, cause it is truly fantastic.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cosmikd
Contributor
Joined: 2005-02-14
Posts: 1841
Location: Under the Vault
france.gif
Contributor
Post 2014-06-09 21:29   [Quote] 
TMOQ sounding portion is really good! recorded on stage by FZ himself ?
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Nappy
Poster
Joined: 2007-07-02
Posts: 311
uk.gif
Post 2014-06-09 22:15   [Quote] 
Wow! thanks a lot!
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
WIU2B
Contributor
Joined: 2004-08-24
Posts: 3256
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2014-06-10 08:01   [Quote] 
Thank you Davmar77, AV, Flambay & JWB! I still own that TMOQ bootleg. One of the few worthy of keeping tunes

_________________
'Some of you might think this is weird . . .
No wonder . . . it's not exactly normal, but what the fuck?'
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Joined: 2005-11-12
Posts: 3553
Contributor
Post 2014-06-10 09:41   [Quote] 
cosmikd wrote:
TMOQ sounding portion is really good! recorded on stage by FZ himself ?


I'm listening and I'd say no. Drums are a bit too thin, I think a stage recording would sound a little bit fuller, just like in "Carnegie Hall". Plus, there is occasional talking. Personally, I'd say that it is an excellent live recording of an event which FZ couldn't save, so we are lucky! That section is a great recording which can be enjoyed even by purists, in my opinion!

cheers

_________________
"Grouch!"
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic
 
Page 2 of 5 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Shows All times are GMT + 1 Hour

 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group, TorrentPier © Meithar