Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1977 09 03 CHUM-FM Toronto 15.48 (Drew51-flambay)  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Interviews/Radio Shows
DL-List
Complete: [ 148 ]

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2014-04-11 11:31   [Quote] 
Frank Zappa
CHUM FM Toronto, Ontario, Canada with Rick Moranis
1977 09 03
Source: Unknown generation FM analog capture

Lineage: Maxell XLII-S Cassette>Nakamichi CR-7A cassette deck>Tascam US-122L> Sound Forge Pro 10.0 (record/edits/resample)>FLAC Level 8

Obtained from: ZRP
Transferred by: Drew51
Edited by: Drew51
Speed correction by: flambay

Topics include: Daily Star review, rock journalism, assholes, writing press releases, Big Leg Emma single, suing Warner Brothers, Lšther, Broken Hearts Are For Assholes, white stickers, producing Grand Funk, FZ's kids, cable TV with purchase box, Moranis quitting radio to work on screenplay, Massey Hall gig (5/19/69), Flo & Eddie, Herb Cohen, Let Me Take You To The Beach.

Notes: Lot of hiss, not a good recording

2011 09 20 - Drew51 ZRP/Zappateers Archives

;flac fingerprints generated by xACT 2.25 on 2014-04-10 21:24:15 -0700

1977 09 03 CHUM-FM Toronto - 01.flac:989caa1c1e8d76a0936c9bffc52c2511
1977 09 03 CHUM-FM Toronto - 02.flac:0b2024ae02ae9437d4f9afa8819e4b4b
 [Profile]  [PM] 
agamon
sweden.gif
Post 2014-04-11 13:43   [Quote] 
Thanks!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2014-04-11 21:27   [Quote] 
Thank you
 [Profile]  [PM] 
incarhodes
usa.gif
Post 2014-04-11 23:37   [Quote] 
Thank you.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
James66175
Power Poster
Location: in my smelly little secret black light bedroom on Long Island
usa.gif
Post 2014-04-11 23:45   [Quote] 
Thank you drdork
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pepe Nusbaum
Power Poster
EU.gif
Post 2014-04-12 17:15   [Quote] 
Brother DD

If you just been lowered down here on tv by a wire connected to a brown leather harness, forced by a crazy person to insert a mysterious imported lamp into the reproductive orifice of a lady harpist, and you were a dwarf.....would you do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVafHLqjRmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEr7ym4-r5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdx7M5ufDfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ip7U-aAMTc
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
hothcanada
Busy Poster
canada.gif
Post 2014-04-16 00:38   [Quote] 
with Rick Moranis?!

weird......in a cool way.

thanks
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2014-04-16 01:40   [Quote] 
hothcanada wrote:
with Rick Moranis?!

Yes. This was before he joined SCTV and even longer before his film career.

He had interviewed FZ the year before too.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
civilian43
canada.gif
Post 2014-07-12 21:32   [Quote] 
I met Frank Zappa at Records on Wheels the same day as this interview he gave on Chum FM, Toronto, ON and have been looking for this ever since. I remember the day vividly, since Frank Zappa is my favorite musician of all time. He was wearing a Toronto Maple Leaf hockey jersey at the time. I was in awe of his bowling shoes that had a cartoon battle scene pained on them, and I asked if Cal Shenkel had designed them, in which he replied yes. He was seated on a chair, crossed legged, smoking a cigarette, and his entire band were with him!
The LP at the time was "Zoot Allures", he and his entire band signed my LP, which I have today and cherish it. I asked him about a rumour I heard that he once ate shit on stage, in which he replied, "What do you think ?" I said I thought it was BS, and he just nodded. Then I asked him about the white stickers, if he had any, so I wouldn't play 'The Torture Never Stops' at home. He laughed and said "Get this Man some white stickers!" We laughed (referring to the interview earlier on Chum FM)
when they told Frank they couldn't play some songs on his LP due to constraints by the CRTC, the equivalent of the FCC in the States. When it came to signing the LP I asked him to write "EAT SHIT" on the cover. He replied with a smile..."Do you want an eat shit?" I said "Yes". He drew a balloon coming out of his mouth, wrote it, then signed his name. The LP was passed along and the whole band signed it. I was in Heaven. I took some 35mm slides of the event, but have not been able to find them to date. I have been offered $1000. for the LP, but I won't sell it. To me its precious.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
James66175
Power Poster
Location: in my smelly little secret black light bedroom on Long Island
usa.gif
Post 2014-07-13 05:07   [Quote] 
Cool story. Can you post a pic of the LP? We'd love to see that.

Zappacheers!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Zigbeebob
canada.gif
Post 2016-03-23 10:46   [Quote] 
I have a picture of Frank and I behind Chum-FM that same day, September 3rd 1977.

Frank had driven in from Buffalo with his driver and bodyguard who did not know Toronto at all.
I was driving back from work as a delivery driver for Sears, wearing my" Sears poncho" when I heard Frank being interviewed live on CHUM, so I decided impulsively to park the car and stalk out Frank in the back of Chum.
I arrived to see a big black Limo, so I knew he was here. I also met two other guys who had the same idea. One of them had a camera. That's how I got the picture of me and Frank.Anyway, after waiting patiently for Frank, he finally came out with his driver and bodyguard and we got pictures with him.
Frank even signed my 8 track tape of "Overnight Sensation".

We thanked him and he got in his car, rolled down his window and continued speaking with us. We then asked if we could get a ride down town with him. Frank looked at his body guard and said no, then rolled up his window. A few minutes passed, then he rolled down the window again and said,"sure what the hell, get in!

Frank needed us to give him directions to Records on Wheels, as his driver, being from Buffalo did not know Toronto, and had no clue on how to get there.

In we went, with the bodyguard in the front seat, eyeing the three of us and Frank in the back with us. Frank provided us with half-moon short bread cookies, during the trip.
When we arrived at Records on Wheels, there were hundreds of fans waiting for him. I stepped out of the Limo and was asked for my autograph.which blew my mind!

I grabbed the subway, went back to CHUM where I had left my car, with my 8-track tape and a crumb of my half moon cookie. When I arrived back near home, my friends did not believe that I have taken a ride in a Limo with Frank Zappa. It took a few weeks until I was able to get the picture with Frank and I.
Cheers,
Bob
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2016-03-23 12:29   [Quote] 
Real cool story Zigbeebob!
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Pepe Nusbaum
Power Poster
EU.gif
Post 2016-03-23 13:49   [Quote] 
That's awesome thanks a lot for sharing.

If you just been lowered down here on tv by a wire connected to a brown leather harness, forced by a crazy person to insert a mysterious imported lamp into the reproductive orifice of a lady harpist, and you were a dwarf.....would you do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVafHLqjRmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEr7ym4-r5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdx7M5ufDfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ip7U-aAMTc
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Interviews/Radio Shows All times are GMT

Jump to: