Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
A hypothetical ?
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner -> Zappa Plays Zappa
mutant
Post 2014-03-05 05:55   [Quote] 
If Dweezil wasn't Frank's son and had auditioned for Frank's band, do you think he would have got the gig?

Personally I doubt it. While he IS "good", I think it's always been apparent that he's not quite at the same level of most of the musicians historically in Franks lineups.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2014-03-05 06:05   [Quote] 
Personally, I don't care...

mutant
Post 2014-03-05 06:28   [Quote] 
Then why bother replying ?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2014-03-05 08:00   [Quote] 
mutant wrote:
Laughing

Much as I like him there's no way Dweezil would have got in any of Frank's bands.....

FOB. Smile

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2014-03-05 08:03   [Quote] 
Well, you wanted opinions, didn't you? At least that's what I assumed from your post.

StatusBaby
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2014-03-05 08:04   [Quote] 
mutant wrote:

Laughing

I don't think he is flexible enough

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2014-03-05 08:10   [Quote] 
He may not have even had time to go to an audition.... too busy working at his hypothetical Father's company......

FOB. Smile

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2014-03-05 08:52   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
He may not have even had time to go to an audition.... too busy working at his hypothetical Father's company......

roflol

The way I see it, you pretty much just made all further replies to this topic pointless by giving the best possible one Very Happy

mutant
Post 2014-03-05 09:46   [Quote] 
I've just always assumed that unless someone perhaps brought something uniquely virtuosic to the table, they would probably had to generally have a significant enough comprehension of music theory to stick around.
Something for which I suspect Dweezil has never actually possessed. Yet it seems clear that the rest of the ZPZ band must though.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2014-03-05 10:08   [Quote] 
Seriously, the reason why conjecturing on this doesn't make much sense to me is that you're trying to juxtapose entirely different moments in time and historical contexts. Fact: Dweezil is definitely a technically much more accomplished performer today, and possibly a more mature human being, than he was when FZ's bands were touring. So, do you mean if he had a chance to get in the band back then? Or if he would have a chance today if FZ were still alive and touring? Maybe what you meant is, would he have had a chance if he had already been 40-something years old back in the '80s? Then the picture starts getting so unseemly that it just loses all substance for me. It's a bit like asking if Napoleon Bonaparte could have been a better president than Sarkozy.

Other than that, while I see nothing special about Dweezil as a musician, I don't see any technical impediments to him playing FZ's music. It's not like every single musician who ever played with FZ was required to contribute something unique, at least during the '60s and '70s - many of them were only required to play the parts right, and could easily be replaced when they didn't.

And most of them were definitely not required to have a vast understanding of music theory, other than good reading.

mutant
Post 2014-03-05 10:29   [Quote] 
You originally said that you personally didn't care. Yet now it seems ironically as though you might be dwelling upon it perhaps somewhat a little to deeply.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2014-03-05 10:48   [Quote] 
"Dwelling"? I explained to you why I don't care, just as I don't care if Napoleon would have been a better president in 21st-century France. As for what I said about Dweezil, it's not like I haven't already said it dozens of times in the past. You wanted opinions, and now you're disappointed because they're not the ones you had expected?

franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2014-03-05 11:29   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
"Dwelling"? I explained to you why I don't care, just as I don't care if Napoleon would have been a better president in 21st-century France. As for what I said about Dweezil, it's not like I haven't already said it dozens of times in the past. You wanted opinions, and now you're disappointed because they're not the ones you had expected?

Laughing What's going on boys? imslow
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2014-03-05 15:05   [Quote] 
Of course FZ mentioned in his book that he wouldn't have passed an audition to get into his own band as a vocalist, and I don't think he would have gotten there as a guitarist either.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pepe Nusbaum
Power Poster
EU.gif
Post 2014-03-05 15:12   [Quote] 
With his current level he might of gotten in. He's a better musician than people like Ike Willis.

If you just been lowered down here on tv by a wire connected to a brown leather harness, forced by a crazy person to insert a mysterious imported lamp into the reproductive orifice of a lady harpist, and you were a dwarf.....would you do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVafHLqjRmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEr7ym4-r5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdx7M5ufDfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ip7U-aAMTc
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner -> Zappa Plays Zappa All times are GMT

Jump to: