Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Barfko Swill : Trout Mask Replica re-release.
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Beefheart Corner
Author Message
brainpang
Power Poster
Joined: 2007-02-01
Posts: 3394
Post 2013-05-16 14:07   [Quote] 
The following comments attributed to Henry kaiser have been making the rounds:

"I got the Zappa family TMR reissue with the "new mastering"!
it does not really sound better
just slightly different

still over compressed
but now it is a bit too bright and harsh in the upper midrange
you can't hear the band any better

I think the reprise CD probably sounds better"

Well, Henry seems like an all around nice guy, BUT WHEN IT COMES TO BEEFHEART,
he loses it! He'd only be happy if Don was stripped from the tapes, so he could "hear" the band.
heh heh
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
Joined: 2005-12-28
Posts: 2317
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2013-05-16 20:47   [Quote] 
Here's my comment that will hopefully "make the rounds".

Had Kaiser bothered to listen closely, he would see that most of the new version is free of the tape damage and dropouts that plague the old CD. And the only "boost" I hear is some shaping in the bottom end and some additional treble that lifts away a slight veil. It is not overly bright and it's no more harsh in the upper midrange than the old CD, or the original LP, for that matter. There is no additional compression. That's the way those mixes SOUND. In addition, the old Reprise CD has a 20k haircut if you look at the spectral. The new one does not. I think it's a fine reissue.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
tomtiddler
Poster
Joined: 2009-03-10
Posts: 494
Location: Under The Stairs, England.
uk.gif
Post 2013-05-16 21:05   [Quote] 
UncleBurntApostrophe wrote:
as I'm sure others have noticed, G&S seems to be, pretty much, unattended recently,


I hadn't noticed that, I much prefer to buy from G&S, they are so much quicker than the ZFT, I emailed David late last night with an order, he rang me on my mobile this morning, took the details and my package will arrive in the next couple of days. All in all, great value and a very personal service, he also remembered me from buying a load of stuff from him at the Festival Moo Aah.

Also whilst on the phone, I ordered TMR, he said he'd ordered a batch a few weeks ago and that he will despatch it as soon as it arrives next week. Try emailing him and leaving your contact number, I always find them to be super efficient, and cheaper than buying from America..
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
UncleBurntApostrophe
Joined: 2011-09-23
Posts: 152
Location: United Kingdom
uk.gif
Post 2013-05-17 14:37   [Quote] 
tomtiddler wrote:
UncleBurntApostrophe wrote:
as I'm sure others have noticed, G&S seems to be, pretty much, unattended recently,


I hadn't noticed that, I much prefer to buy from G&S, they are so much quicker than the ZFT, I emailed David late last night with an order, he rang me on my mobile this morning, took the details and my package will arrive in the next couple of days. All in all, great value and a very personal service, he also remembered me from buying a load of stuff from him at the Festival Moo Aah.

Also whilst on the phone, I ordered TMR, he said he'd ordered a batch a few weeks ago and that he will despatch it as soon as it arrives next week. Try emailing him and leaving your contact number, I always find them to be super efficient, and cheaper than buying from America..


Hi, thanks for your answer/info; I'm glad G&S is currently operating as usual in terms of ordering (I reached my presumption from the lack of site updates and then a lack of response, several weeks back, to my inquisition on stock of an item- it had been in my head to simply try again but I hadn't gotten round to it yet and/or weren't looking to order that item still, presently).

I will contact Dave, again, via e-mail then, as and when convenient/pertinent for me. Cool

P.s.// How much is he charging for the TMR reissue?
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
tomtiddler
Poster
Joined: 2009-03-10
Posts: 494
Location: Under The Stairs, England.
uk.gif
Post 2013-05-17 18:48   [Quote] 
UncleBurntApostrophe wrote:
P.s.// How much is he charging for the TMR reissue?


He didn't mention how much, but all the re-mastered ZFT double albums at G&S are 14.50 in the UK. (All quoted prices include postage)
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Joined: 2007-02-01
Posts: 3394
Post 2013-05-18 10:00   [Quote] 
JWB wrote:
Here's my comment that will hopefully "make the rounds".

Had Kaiser bothered to listen closely, he would see that most of the new version is free of the tape damage and dropouts that plague the old CD. And the only "boost" I hear is some shaping in the bottom end and some additional treble that lifts away a slight veil. It is not overly bright and it's no more harsh in the upper midrange than the old CD, or the original LP, for that matter. There is no additional compression. That's the way those mixes SOUND. In addition, the old Reprise CD has a 20k haircut if you look at the spectral. The new one does not. I think it's a fine reissue.


I love it.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
UncleBurntApostrophe
Joined: 2011-09-23
Posts: 152
Location: United Kingdom
uk.gif
Post 2013-05-19 13:55   [Quote] 
tomtiddler wrote:
UncleBurntApostrophe wrote:
P.s.// How much is he charging for the TMR reissue?


He didn't mention how much, but all the re-mastered ZFT double albums at G&S are 14.50 in the UK. (All quoted prices include postage)


Thanks for the info TomTiddler. I suppose I'll just inquire as and when, or wait for the site to be inevitably updated (as I've already said, this one ain't too high on my priority list atm, certainly at the ZFT, narrow distribution dictated, cost inflation). Cool

N.B.// I like G&S/Dave, as much as I've used them, myself, and/or from the similar positive experiences others have shared that I've been exposed to. However, I'm personally not really one to be that loyal if items can be found significantly cheaper elsewhere (as, unfortunately, is often the case with other vendors relative to G&S, be that in ZFT titles that can be found used, as opposed to new, or standard Frank-related artists' releases that can generally be located a fair bit cheaper from standard vendors and/or marketplace outlets).

I respect this stance being taken, however, and, of course, one does get something out of it with G&S, via their sharp service and/or dispatch-delivery speed (which keeps it simple by having these costs factored into the item prices, as you have cited). Cool
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Idiot
Power Poster
Joined: 2006-08-29
Posts: 1448
Location: Essex, England
uk.gif
Post 2013-05-30 07:32   [Quote] 
NikZah wrote:
Good news! Maybe soon ZFT will release the Lick My Decals...


Sadly not: http://www.zappa.com/gzsez/questions/re-capt-beefheart-lick-my-decals-off-baby-reissue/

_________________
www.idiotbastard.com
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Joined: 2007-02-01
Posts: 3394
Post 2013-10-13 13:45   [Quote] 
I note that Warner's recently issued a 2013 VINYL repress.
Maybe the ZFT no have the rights to that format, even tho' she indicated a vinyl edition was to come?
Things are never easy when it comes to Don.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
Joined: 2009-09-03
Posts: 1506
burma.gif
Post 2013-11-28 08:27   [Quote] 
Only just got a copy of this held off due to having 4 versions already! I haven't done any comparisons but listening to it on my BOSE car system it sounds superb with a much wider soundstage. The band sound like they are in the room rather thab next door and Don's vocals really jump out... I'll try a comparison...
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
ephceetera
Poster
Joined: 2009-02-28
Posts: 386
Location: Microbiolits Stromatolits Cricket Ground
Post 2014-12-12 17:41   [Quote] 
Sounds fine. It was SUPPOSED to sound trebly and wiry (no tech talk - the thing is just treated with some limiting to sound clearer and louder and whatever really, the tape damage on Frownland & HP B 2 always existed on any CD version anyways so who gives a fuck? Go to ebay and buy an old mint condition original vinyl for TWO SONGS) as it was recorded on the cheap and I LIKE THAT.

_________________
"WE CAN SHOOT YOU" - Frank Zappa, 1968

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
Joined: 2006-03-16
Posts: 5560
Location: Elsewhere in the Fatherland
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2014-12-12 20:27   [Quote] 
William wrote:
Go to ebay and buy an old mint condition original vinyl for TWO SONGS).


Could you recommend up to which vinyl release date the master was in good shape?

According to Discogs there are also 19.., 1977, 1979, 1985, 2000, 2009 issues around.

I guess some of the later ones contain the defective master too, right?

_________________
"There are few things in the world more annoying than Zappa fans." ~ Karl Bruckmaier
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
Joined: 2005-04-30
Posts: 9421
usa.gif
Post 2014-12-12 21:16   [Quote] 
I bought the brown Reprise label LP in 1985 (artwork and label style match the version listed as 1977 in Discogs). No tape damage there.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
ephceetera
Poster
Joined: 2009-02-28
Posts: 386
Location: Microbiolits Stromatolits Cricket Ground
Post 2014-12-13 11:12   [Quote] 
You know. I meant that as sarcasm. But if it help anyways, my old vinyl was the '69 Straight US pressing. And that was one I paid a lot for, mainly because I already had the CD and it was in mint condition. Lesson number one in used record stores here: keep an extremely bored looking face as hard as you can. If you arch an eyebrow, the guy's gonna double the price already. I dunno exactly if it was a '69 pressing either but lemme see if I can find anything that looks similar to the one I had.

There:


_________________
"WE CAN SHOOT YOU" - Frank Zappa, 1968

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
Joined: 2005-12-28
Posts: 2317
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2014-12-13 12:49   [Quote] 
No limiting on the ZFT CD. In fact it's one of the few Beefheart CD's where I can say that the mastering/EQ/volume levels are just about as perfect as you could ask for. very much in line with many of the 2012 FZ remasters.

I wonder what Kaiser thinks of the "Sun Zoom Spark" set, which really does suck mastering-wise.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic
 
Page 4 of 5 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Beefheart Corner All times are GMT

 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group, TorrentPier © Meithar