Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Barfko Swill : Trout Mask Replica re-release.
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Beefheart Corner
UncleBurntApostrophe
uk.gif
Post 2013-05-08 06:15   [Quote] 
fromnabulax wrote:
Got my shipping notice today.

Great- I'm looking forward to seeing impressions of this one. Cool
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2013-05-12 10:45   [Quote] 
2013 Edition:
Well, I was only interrupted 4 or 5 times during the initial headphone spin...
Yep, it sounds great. More uhhhhhh well rounded. It's definitely the only one I will listen to from this day forward. I was immersed in a warm bubble. Like eating breakfast sausage in bed with an electric blanket. Will have to give it a stereo blast when I can. The only down side I think may be ORANGE CLAW. With the sensitive remaster the original tape fuckery between lines is more prominent. One tape whir even startled me. Without comparing old and new, EVERYTHING is more nuanced. GREAT job, I think all fans will be tickled pink.

Jewel case. Booklet layout identical to the past cd edition with enlarged lyric, etc font (which is nice). A tiny bit of ZFT generated commentary on the lyrics...

The over-sized ZAPPA records logo and 'stache on the back cover will definitely irk the Zappa hating Beefheart fan. One can always replace it with the Warners back tho'!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2013-05-12 11:19   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
The over-sized ZAPPA records logo and 'stache on the back cover will definitely irk the Zappa hating Beefheart fan. One can always replace it with the Warners back tho'!

If this remaster sounds indeed so beautiful, I think they can get over with it

cheers

brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2013-05-12 11:32   [Quote] 
PS all tracks from the SAFETY master except for 2 tracks that I guess were were worse off than the Warners: FROWNLAND and HAIR PIE: BAKE 2. I didn't notice any sound difference.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2013-05-14 00:38   [Quote] 
Got it today!

Compared it to the original WB compact disc...

The main difference with this new ZFT version is that it's louder (but not too loud), and it has a bit more (upper) treble so it's a little but clearer. But honestly, I'm hard pressed to hear much of a difference beyond that.

However, it is an improvement over both the original vinyl and the original CD, so it can now be considered the definitive version.

For those who thought the original CD was "fine" and just needed some dropout fixes and a bit of gentle EQ work, then this ZFT edition is the one for you.

For those looking for something amazingly different, you won't find much satisfaction here.

For those who have never heard or don't own this album...get off your ass and order!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2013-05-14 09:38   [Quote] 
Interesting thoughts, JWB. I sensed more warmth in the bass dept. and that Don's voice seemed somehow more expressive. And better separation between the instruments. Maybe that is just the result of being "clearer." I think you summed it up perfectly in the last 3 lines. We shall see once I get to a stereo blast.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2013-05-14 20:02   [Quote] 
When you hear "Frownland", one of the songs taken from the original master, you can see why they had to make a totally new version. It's chewed up pretty bad...some of the worst tape damage I've ever heard on an official release. If the whole album was like that, it would be unreleasable.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2013-05-14 22:12   [Quote] 
JWB wrote:
When you hear "Frownland", one of the songs taken from the original master, you can see why they had to make a totally new version. It's chewed up pretty bad...some of the worst tape damage I've ever heard on an official release. If the whole album was like that, it would be unreleasable.

So I guess that, even though this is the definitive edition, "Frownland" and "Hair Pie Bake II" sound bad?

cheers

JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2013-05-14 22:42   [Quote] 
Galeans wrote:
JWB wrote:

So I guess that, even though this is the definitive edition, "Frownland" and "Hair Pie Bake II" sound bad?

cheers

"Frownland" is completely mangled but "Hair Pie 2" is mostly okay. The rest of the album sounds clean as a whistle.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2013-05-14 22:50   [Quote] 
JWB wrote:
"Frownland" is completely mangled

You mean worse than the Warner CD? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gICqGi8fxCk

JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2013-05-14 22:57   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
JWB wrote:
"Frownland" is completely mangled

You mean worse than the Warner CD? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gICqGi8fxCk

Yes, much worse. Why they didn't use the old CD as their source, I have no idea.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2013-05-15 13:37   [Quote] 
Heck, they could use my LP (Reprise label, copyright 1977, bought in 1985). "Frownland" sounds fine there.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2013-05-15 17:57   [Quote] 
Snuck in a stereo session. JWB says it right. I had 2, maybe 3 moments where I thought exclaimed:
"I've never heard it put quite that way. Neato!"

FROWNLAND? I dunno, it's the kick off, and I'm always singing and twitching to it anyway...

Will Gary Marker ever receive bass credit on the 2 earlier recorded cuts? Doesn't seem like it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2013-05-15 23:03   [Quote] 
Listening closer...it appears that the damage in "Frownland" is on the old CD as well, it has just gotten much worse since then. So using the old CD as a source really wouldn't have made a huge difference anyway. Unless they turned to a vinyl transfer, they're pretty much stuck with what they have.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
UncleBurntApostrophe
uk.gif
Post 2013-05-16 00:15   [Quote] 
From the crop of early impressions I've seen so far- here and at the zappa.com forums-, I intend to pick this up at some point, but am reluctant to pay the Barfko dictated elevation fee, presently (also, as I'm sure others have noticed, G&S seems to be, pretty much, unattended recently, so I'm waiting to see what that option yields as well; I am, obviously, an international customer).

Glad ppl are digging it, bar the odd track deficiency... which seems a bit of a pity, I have to say (and probably workable aroundable- i.e. cut in a vinyl transfer as necessary-, too). Cool
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 3 of 5 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Beefheart Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: