Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
David Logeman - Criminally underrated Zappa drummer?
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2013-02-16 08:22   [Quote] 
Following on from Aynsley, Ralph, Chester, Terry and Vinnie, and filling in at short notice for Vinnie, he did an incredible job! And he's still funkier than Chad ever will be. Wasn't his fault that the 80' band didn't have a fuller sound. Hell Yeah? Very Happy
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2013-02-16 10:35   [Quote] 
I prefer Chad, sorry.

franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2013-02-16 10:45   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
I prefer Chad, sorry.

No problem. roflol Chad is clearly an outstanding drummer especially for ensemble type playing on complicated pieces. The Logeman band was more r&b but just saying Logeman doesn't get his dues. Doesn't help he seems to have disappeared after FZ's band.

Anyone else prefer Chad? Razz
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2013-02-16 14:08   [Quote] 
Quote:
Doesn't help he seems to have disappeared after FZ's band.

He got into the surf/oldies circuit later in the 80's with Jan & Dean and, as far as I know, is still there with the Surf City All Stars (the new incarnation of the group after Jan died).

Here is a cut from the record where he played with ex-Santana percussionist Mingo Lewis a few years before joining FZ. Good if you like Return To Forever style fusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFjyU7zY0yc
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2013-02-16 15:05   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
Quote:
Doesn't help he seems to have disappeared after FZ's band.

He got into the surf/oldies circuit later in the 80's with Jan & Dean and, as far as I know, is still there with the Surf City All Stars (the new incarnation of the group after Jan died).

Here is a cut from the record where he played with ex-Santana percussionist Mingo Lewis a few years before joining FZ. Good if you like Return To Forever style fusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFjyU7zY0yc

I do! Thanks for that link! Smile

PS: Listening to it now. Excellent stuff. I know Mingo Lewis from Al Di Meola. Good stuff.... cooler
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2013-02-16 15:07   [Quote] 
Jan & Dean - that's a left field turn after Zappa!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scoobie
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2013-02-16 18:23   [Quote] 
Even the drummers with higher post-FZ profiles seem underrated in the sense that many critics or reviewers do not understand the technical demands of playing anything in a Frank Zappa band. Often, working for Zappa gets a square mention or footnote in the bio. This stands in contrast to the lengthier interviews and articles that I've read, where it seems the drummers themselves frequently mention their time with FZ.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2013-02-17 08:56   [Quote] 
scoobie wrote:
Even the drummers with higher post-FZ profiles seem underrated in the sense that many critics or reviewers do not understand the technical demands of playing anything in a Frank Zappa band. Often, working for Zappa gets a square mention or footnote in the bio. This stands in contrast to the lengthier interviews and articles that I've read, where it seems the drummers themselves frequently mention their time with FZ.

Vinnie doesn't seem to like talking about his time with Frank very much these days. I seem to recall he called it something like "comedy store plus boot camp" or something... Sad
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2013-02-17 09:58   [Quote] 
I'm not sure who's responsible for the set-up Logeman used in 1980 (his own kit, or some new toy instruments Zappa just bought for his band and gave it to the helpless drummer?). Bottomline is Logeman's contributions sound horrible to my ears, based on the instruments he hits. If he had more of a garage sound, I'd probably appreciate what he did more (I see nothing wrong in what he plays).

Colaiuta's abilities (and to some extend also Bozzio's) opened up new musical doors for FZ on a substantial level. With those guys in the band I recognise more of a creative network, a giving and taking on both sides.

Opposed to that, Logeman probably was in a situation like "we don't have much time, here's a few songs, play this - one, two, three, four we could jam in Joe's garage".
Logeman maybe never really settled in the creative Zappa system, because he was only several months in the band. But then again... if he did, I'm not sure he had something visionary to add the way his two predecessors did.

Wackerman to me is in a way a technically more versatile (and maybe slightly wilder) version of Logeman. The next "drummer" - the synclavier - is only a consequent next step in my understanding.

franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2013-02-17 10:12   [Quote] 
cookie_manager wrote:
I'm not sure who's responsible for the set-up Logeman used in 1980 (his own kit, or some new toy instruments Zappa just bought for his band and gave it to the helpless drummer?). Bottomline is Logeman's contributions sound horrible to my ears, based on the instruments he hits. If he had more of a garage sound, I'd probably appreciate what he did more (I see nothing wrong in what he plays).

I like the sound of his drums. But then I like the You are what you is album. Rolling Eyes
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2013-02-17 10:19   [Quote] 
cookie_manager wrote:
Opposed to that, Logeman probably was in a situation like "we don't have much time, here's a few songs, play this - one, two, three, four we could jam in Joe's garage".
Logeman maybe never really settled in the creative Zappa system, because he was only several months in the band. But then again... if he did, I'm not sure he had something visionary to add the way his two predecessors did.

Wackerman to me is in a way a technically more versatile (and maybe slightly wilder) version of Logeman.

You have a point. I think Logeman didn't get a chance to be really comfortable with the material. He did the European tour and he was gone and Vinnie was back.

I think we have to compare like with like. Terry, Vinnie and Chad were not that comfortable until they got to their second (and beyond tours):

For example: Terry in the Bongo Fury line up was not awe inspiring and both Tom and George were not too happy with him. Vinnie in 1978 was good but in 1980 he was beyond. Chad on the 1981 USA tour was not as fluent as the Euro 1982 tour. Just fighting my corner here.... OK Vinnie was good all the way through. Damn!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2013-02-17 10:25   [Quote] 
franktomatozappa wrote:
OK Vinnie was good all the way through. Damn!

Vinnie was Vinnie all the way through Wink

hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2013-02-17 12:27   [Quote] 
I always liked Logeman's playing...and You are what you is has some fantastic drumming on it.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2013-02-17 12:34   [Quote] 
hoops wrote:
and You are what you is has some fantastic drumming on it.

Ain't that what livin is all about? Cool
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vudicus
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2013-02-17 14:45   [Quote] 
I was thinking the same thing just yesterday whilst listening to the Geneva 1980 Soundboard.
underrated indeed!

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 6 Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT

Jump to: