Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
MAYBE YOU SHOULD STAY WITH YOUR DAVID...
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
fishyboots
Post 2012-09-20 21:08   [Quote] 
So I had heard that FRANK was not too happy that MR. Belew would be moving on
to work with DAVID BOWIE. In all of FRANK'S funning, I've been told that
during a performance of "YO MAMA" FRANK sang... "Maybe You Should Stay With Your David"

Is there a recording of this show somewhere??

OR

What might be the date of the performance?

THANK YOU ALL for your kind info : )
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-09-20 21:27   [Quote] 
Probably the most famous Sheik Yerbouti show...

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=23764
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2012-09-20 21:48   [Quote] 
Adrian met David during the Berlin show.

But FZ sang "maybe you should stay with your David" during the 1978 02 26 Brussels show:

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3718
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Yuke
Busy Poster
Post 2012-09-22 03:41   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
Adrian met David during the Berlin show.

But FZ sang "maybe you should stay with your David" during the 1978 02 26 Brussels show:

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3718

Interesting enough for me to want to download the show. I listen to 1978 02 15 Berlin pretty often - incredible show.

I'll mention a seeder is needed here instead of opening a new thread.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2012-09-22 13:09   [Quote] 
I haven't listened to 02 26 Brussels in a while but it's a good show. Time to dig it out.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Yuke
Busy Poster
Post 2012-09-22 13:37   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
I haven't listened to 02 26 Brussels in a while but it's a good show. Time to dig it out.

I'm listening to it this morning. Great show. I find the shows I've heard from this tour to be quite intense.

Frank seems to have a few other one liners right before he gets to "maybe you should stay with your David".

I'm having a hard time making it out, but I wonder if it's also aimed at Belew? Starts at around :48 to 1:15 in "Yo Mama".

Here's all I'm able to pick up - of course I realize I'm hearing it with a biased ear now which may be making it harder to detach it from Bowie/Belew.

"You ain't really made for throwing __?__ on the stage"
"Ain't much hope for a nerd like you"
"cause if I give you chance, you'd forget ___?___ ___?___
...where you're supposed to sing"
"maybe you should stay with your mama"
"she can do your laundry and cook for you"
"maybe you should stay with your David"
"he can do your laundry and play with you"

Oh and Frank's intro for Adrian: "Adrian Belew on guitar - and surgical jelly"

Last edited by Yuke on 2012-09-22 13:39; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2012-09-22 13:38   [Quote] 
As I recall, Belew comes in late with the harmony vocals on Yo Mama and FZ gets angry. I remember one line is "'cause if I give you a chance, you'd forget to come in when you're supposed to sing."
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2016-01-14 06:42   [Quote] 
Adrian Belew (on FB) wrote:
By definition a postscript is never as engaging as the story itself. I hope you're not expecting too much, but here's the conclusion:

It was February in Europe which meant it was icy cold outside, but for me it was even more icy inside. When you're touring, especially in a professional band of hired musicians, you tend to "partner up" with someone; one person you hang out with the most.
Frank was the person I hung out with. I often sat next to him as we traveled on planes and buses, I joined him at breakfast, etc. I had stayed at Frank's house many weekends during our 3-month rehearsal schedule and I felt we had some sort of friendship beyond employer/employee.
Of course he was entitled now to be distant to me. He had plucked me out of obscurity, taught me so many things, and shined a bright light on me. Frank was my mentor and he was not an asshole to me, not ever! He was generous, funny as heck, brilliant, and informative. A genius. I had the time of my life around him. It was never part of my plan to leave Frank's tutelage forever.
We still had two weeks of touring left. Frank had already informed me of his intentions after the tour ended. He said he was going to rent a giant film editing machine and spend three or four months editing our live concert footage into a film called "Baby Snakes". He explained I would be kept on a retainer which meant I would be paid to do nothing but wait for Frank's next project. I received a call from my manager. Now it was official: I was being offered a 4-month tour with David Bowie. (In reality it turned into more than a year).
Later that day we were on a bus to an airport. I decided to break the ice. I walked to the very last row in the bus where Frank was sitting. I told him about David's offer. I reminded him of his plan to edit his film and pay me a retainer and asked him if it didn't make more sense for me to join David's tour for 4 months instead. I told him I would gladly return after the tour. Frank reached out and we shook hands.
That evening, February 26th, we played a concert in Brussels, Belgium. One of Frank's songs we did was "Yo Mama". But for that show Frank substituted the words "Your David". So this is what he sang:
"Maybe you should stay with your David,
He can do your laundry and cook for you,
Maybe you should stay with your David,
You're really kind of stupid and ugly too".
Two nights later the tour ended in London at the Hammersmith Odeon. There was an onstage occurrence which angered Frank. Fortunately I had nothing to do with it. Frank cut the show short and stormed off. The next day most of the band members flew back to L.A. where they all lived. I was told later that Frank fired the band on that flight home.
I got on a plane to Dallas for two weeks rehearsal with David Bowie.

Please support Zappateers.com

Chords that vibrate sweetest pleasure,
Thrill the deepest notes of wo.
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/TPSzappateer
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-01-14 07:16   [Quote] 
What was the "onstage incident" in London? I remember reading something about Frank yelling at Tommy Mars about something, but I don't want to listen to the whole show to figure out where it is. I never noticed how short that show was until now. It's one of the shortest shows of the tour!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2016-01-14 09:53   [Quote] 
JWB wrote:
What was the "onstage incident" in London? I remember reading something about Frank yelling at Tommy Mars about something, but I don't want to listen to the whole show to figure out where it is. I never noticed how short that show was until now. It's one of the shortest shows of the tour!

weren't there two more Hammy shows after the last circulating one?

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2016-01-14 10:01   [Quote] 
JWB wrote:

I think during ''I Have Been In You'' FZ tells someone to ''take those things away from Tommy.... and from Patrick too in case Tommy reaches over'' and later ''I can't tell you the rest of the routine now 'coz Tommy ''chumped(?) in front of it'' and ends the song...
FZ's demeanor changes after that song, he definitely halts the show pretty abruptly... I wonder what ''those things'' were.?
(did I hear ''chumped'' correctly?)

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2016-01-14 10:03   [Quote] 
Gwonam wrote:
...weren't there two more Hammy shows after the last circulating one?

Don't think so..

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-01-14 11:21   [Quote] 
Gwonam wrote:
JWB wrote:

weren't there two more Hammy shows after the last circulating one?

No!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-01-14 11:27   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
JWB wrote:

I think during ''I Have Been In You'' FZ tells someone to ''take those things away from Tommy.... and from Patrick too in case Tommy reaches over'' and later ''I can't tell you the rest of the routine now 'coz Tommy ''chumped(?) in front of it'' and ends the song...
FZ's demeanor changes after that song, he definitely halts the show pretty abruptly... I wonder what ''those things'' were.?
(did I hear ''chumped'' correctly?)

"Chumped" in this context probably means that Tommy did a poor job or bullshitted his way through something.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
doctorzap
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-01-14 12:57   [Quote] 
david and adrian show up at same place as band after berlin show

the only thing Frank would say to Bowie was

Fuck you capt. tom

I am still Laughing over that one !
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 4 Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT

Jump to: