Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
20th and 21st century classical music
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 27, 28, 29  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2012-07-01 22:36   [Quote] 
I've heard a couple of very nice things by Julia Wolfe... also by Wolpe, and not so much by Wolff, although he did have his moments too...

Ruth Crawford is brilliant (I hate seeing her called "Seeger", since her marriage was precisely what ruined her carreer as a composer)... and I am personally convinced that FZ was referring specifically to the 3rd movement of the "String Quartet 1931" when he mentioned her "contrapuntal dynamics"...

brainpang, thanks again for the praise... but what exactly do you mean by "recordings of Webern music without the singing"? Webern wrote a lot of purely instrumental music in addition to the Lieder and cantatas, and of course, there are quite a few recordings available of his complete works... if I had to pick a personal favorite it would probably be the Symphonie op. 21...

Also, am I the only one here who doesn't necessarily think it's of any particular relevance that FZ mentioned such or such composer once or twice? There are a lot of fantastic composers in the 20th century whom he simply didn't seem to be aware of (or whom he chose to ignore), and it is my understanding (as well as Boulez's) that he didn't "get" Mahler's music at all...

Anyway, here are some quite well-known composers that I never heard FZ mention, but who wrote at least some works that are likely to appeal to a fan of FZ's "serious" music (nevertheless, if any of you know of any FZ quotes related to these composers, I would of course be interested to know what he said): Luciano Berio, György Ligeti, Henri Pousseur, Bernd Alois Zimmermann, Galina Ustvolskaya, Gérard Grisey, Giacinto Scelsi, Luc Ferrari, Ivo Malec, Luigi Dallapiccola... the list goes on and on...

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-07-02 00:03   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
(nevertheless, if any of you know of any FZ quotes related to these composers, I would of course be interested to know what he said): Luciano Berio, György Ligeti, Henri Pousseur, Bernd Alois Zimmermann, Galina Ustvolskaya, Gérard Grisey, Giacinto Scelsi, Luc Ferrari, Ivo Malec, Luigi Dallapiccola... the list goes on and on...

FZ mentioned Ligeti as an influence in a 1975 interview, though he didn't say much about him:

Frank Zappa wrote:
Gyorgy Ligeti is a composer best known for his "scary music" in 2001. But they just borrowed that from his straight compositions.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2012-07-02 00:13   [Quote] 
Nice, thanks for that. Ligeti has always been a major influence for me as well (not to mention we share a birthday). Is that interview available on afka.net (or elsewhere)?

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-07-02 03:42   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
Nice, thanks for that. Ligeti has always been a major influence for me as well (not to mention we share a birthday). Is that interview available on afka.net (or elsewhere)?

The interview I linked to, you mean?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2012-07-02 04:07   [Quote] 
Oops - sorry, I hadn't noticed there was a link there.

cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2012-07-02 05:18   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
Are there recordings floating around of Webern music without the singing? Always wanted to hear it.
I hesitated as well about this one, since on most Webern ensemble-CDs there's also singing. His authorized oeuvre is only about 3 hours long, and out of 31 "official" opera, 17 are with vocals.
The obvious choice would be a single CD with his chamber music for strings. There are two Arditti-recordings I'm familiar with. Some essential works there. All other Webern-releases I know of mix instrumental with vocal stuff.
Not the biggest fan of much classical vocal music myself, this http://www.amazon.com/Conducts-Webern-Boulez/dp/B000001GIU is still one I'm vvvery vvvery fond of. Those versions of the middle-period chamber songs op.16-18 sorta killed me when I first heard them. Christiane Oelze sounds quite different here to what you often get to hear from soprano singers... refreshingly unpretentious and free of a certain expressive pathos, to my ears.
I agree with yetanother about opus 21... very lovely - go get it as well! Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2012-07-02 10:16   [Quote] 
Okay -- Let me listen to all my Webern recordings and I'll get back to ya, don't need to make a larger ass of myself than I already...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2012-07-03 04:14   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
...Claire Chase, played an equally fantastic solo flute recital today (available on Dime next week, when I get the time to transfer and edit the recording).

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=411237

PJayBe
uk.gif
Post 2012-07-03 10:07   [Quote] 
For good 20th century classical stuff, give Earth Dances by Harrison Birtwistle a try. Deep and layered music, very expressive. then start on the rest of his catalogue!!!!!!

Philip (Birtwistle)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2012-07-04 06:22   [Quote] 
May I ask - are you related to him?

I really love some of Birtwistle's chamber music while generally having a slight preference for his earlier works (like... Refrains and Chorusses up to roughly Verses for ensemble). If I remember right, some characteristics in his earlier output - in particular in the mentioned Verses? - have brought music writers to occasionally associate him with Varese's sound world. It's been a while I listened to all that, and really should do so again...

Nomos (1968):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKeGaONXkhM&feature=related
 [Profile]  [PM] 
PJayBe
uk.gif
Post 2012-07-04 09:15   [Quote] 
cookie_manager wrote:
May I ask - are you related to him?

Only distantly........ The family tree branches off several generations ago, and sadly for me he took the musical ability leaving me with none.....

Philip
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bohemian
uk.gif
Post 2012-07-04 10:20   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
yetanother wrote:
...Claire Chase, played an equally fantastic solo flute recital today (available on Dime next week, when I get the time to transfer and edit the recording).

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=411237

That is a great torrent, thanks.

"Zappa was good, but Beefheart's the man" - Jimmy Carl Black
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2012-07-04 10:56   [Quote] 
WEBERN:

What I would one day like to get my hands on is recordings minus vocal for the Lieder pieces. Not because what I have on disc is not too my liking, anything but.
But that exquisite music gets buried and is sometimes hard to hear. Some of it is incredibly fascinating. Almost like ambient, I could imagine it in electronic form. I'll have to spend more time listening to get a handle on it.

I have the Boulez one CM linked to and the music in the Lieders is very soft whereas the Schoenberg Ensemble w/Dorothy Dorow disc also in hand provides a much stronger "backing track" making it easier to hear what's going on. I also prefer these versions as Dorow injects a bit of a Germanic Music Hall vibe, early teens flavor.

Okay, that's really about it. Hope I am clear. It's early here.

And on Composers: yes, yetanother, you know very well there are so many. I hear bits and pieces on the radio all the time (stream available at wkcr.org) and I never know what I am listening to. The station sorta has their act together on posting set lists but still....most of the time I forget to figure it out as I'm running errands and whatnot in the car.

Ivo Malec! You are only the 2nd person I've :met" that has even heard of him...Maybe there is more of us?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2012-07-04 11:26   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
What I would one day like to get my hands on is recordings minus vocal for the Lieder pieces.

BLASPHEMY! Laughing

cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2012-07-04 11:57   [Quote] 
brainpang, I got it wrong then in the first place with your Webern question. No idea where to find what you're looking for, I'm afraid.

I believe there's software that allows you to filter out the human voice in pop songs - is that possible? (maybe for producing caraoke backing tracks?) If that's accurate, then you maybe can create what you're looking for yourself that way? (and then maybe also use it for a Webern chamber songs caraoke session Laughing)

I saw a few Ivo Malec works floating around in the www for while (on AGP & wolffifth-blog, I think). Didn't listen to everything of that yet, and don't remember much about the ones I've listened to.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 29 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: