Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1980 ~ 1978 Build Reel 30.49 (Snopes-Drew51-Flambay-pbuzby)
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Outtakes/Unreleased
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-06-06 06:34   [Quote] 
Of course the main program was edited by FZ. Nobody is disputing that. I believe that further editing was done by the radio station. Some of the segues sound like FZ segues while others do not. The question is: are these parts of an unreleased LP project? I don't believe they are. I don't think FZ would be interested in releasing another version of "I Have Been In You" so soon after Sheik Yerbouti. But what do I know?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2012-06-06 13:29   [Quote] 
There again I'd say the official releases sometimes raise similar questions (were "Panty Rap" and "Dance Contest" really the best things FZ had available to release in 1981? "No Not Now" in 1982?).

IMO this is probably just FZ messing around with his live tapes in early 1981, probably thinking it could be good enough to submit for a radio broadcast, perhaps thinking that if it turned out great he could use it on an album, but it didn't make it. Since there doesn't seem to have been anyone else involved in the decisions about his releases, that is probably all we can conclude.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-06-06 13:50   [Quote] 
Pat, thanks for the insight into this. i know you have years and years of expierence in collecting, and it shows! This could have been made for a live radio show to be distributed on disc. As i said before. King Biscuit was far from the only live syndicated program. Zappa even made shit for WXRT, so making others that never made it to air play is very likley. This could have been made for Westwood One for example. And would have been put to disc for distrubution, those promo LP's are very valuable today. This probably was rejected (else we would have copies from broadcast, no way did a 1980's live broadcast go unnoticed till now). Collecting was very active for Frank in 1980. I know I was an active collector and was recieving fanzines for years already, such as the late 70's "Cosmik Debris" fanzine. A live broadcast escaped us? I think not, this was rejected for whatever reason.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mike comisky
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2012-06-06 18:41   [Quote] 
Regardless of this tape's purpose or creator, thanks to all involved with bringing it to my thankful ears!

yours in FZ,
mike
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2012-06-14 10:12   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
vivalapsych wrote:
If you listen to the "fuck" in The Dangerous Kitchen, you can still hear keyboard during the the excised word. It is a tad crude since the keyboard jumps in volume. Still...i vote for FZ edit.

I disagree. The edits are ridiculously awkward and often manage to ruin the meaning of the lyrics ("...the other one was a walking--"). Unless he was unreallistically pressed for time, I think FZ would have at least inserted some kind of illustrative noise to show that there should have been a word there. I don't think he would even consider delivering such a crude product.

BTW, did I say thanks? Thanks!

I've re-listened and reconsidered and agree with you now.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-06-14 11:04   [Quote] 
Drew51 wrote:

A live broadcast escaped us? I think not, this was rejected for whatever reason.

It has to be from a broadcast because of the crude censorship. It certainly doesn't come from FZ. Plus the recording has FM compression. Isn't it possible that this one just slipped by? This seems to happen from time to time.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2012-06-14 13:08   [Quote] 
Again, for reference we have the Munich 1980 King Biscuit with bits like "the [guitar squiggle] they believe has got their minds all shut" and "it's your [boomp!] that's on the line." Perhaps FZ decided that worked better?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-06-14 13:50   [Quote] 
JWB wrote:
Drew51 wrote:

A live broadcast escaped us? I think not, this was rejected for whatever reason.

It has to be from a broadcast because of the crude censorship. It certainly doesn't come from FZ. Plus the recording has FM compression. Isn't it possible that this one just slipped by? This seems to happen from time to time.

Well I think it was not used, really what I meant. It was made for radio, but never aired IMHO.
Also JWB, this is out of context, the tape it was on has numerous other unreleased items on it. Which may or may not have some significance to this discussion.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2012-06-14 15:22   [Quote] 
Drew51 wrote:
the tape it was on has numerous other unreleased items on it.

Where are they, then??

Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-06-14 15:33   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
Drew51 wrote:
the tape it was on has numerous other unreleased items on it.

Where are they, then??

On my server Smile I just make them available, i don't work on them....
All the other items we have, although no doubt these are better in some cases, worse in others. The early Mothers stuff has flaws. Here is a breakdown of the tape:

The Extra Large Chicken Head Invasion* (Outtake Collection) *(tape is labled as such)

Side A: Hamburgers Make Me Sleepy - Passacaglia - Dick Kunc Story - Randomonium (History & Collected Improv Outtakes)
Easy Meat - "Don't Eat There" (longer edit, no background music compared to PP) ("Volman Field Recordings")
Ruthie Ruthie - Babette - Perellis Stories (Passaic 1974 11 08)

Side B: Agency Man
1969 Improv Fragment (has this appeared elsewhere?)
Tiny Lights Solo (possibly 1980 10 17 Dallas) - Dangerous Kitchen - Shall We Take Ourselves Seriously - Torture Solo - Nite Owl (fall 1980 "build reel")
Jazz Discharge Party Hats - I Have Been In You - Pound For A Brown - Tommy Mars solo - Vinnie solo (fades out) (fall 1980/fall 1978 "build reel")
filler: "Two On The Town" 1981 TV appearance
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2012-06-14 15:44   [Quote] 
I will seed some of the others soon, need to find time to compare with what has already been offered here. Only a couple other bits are never before shared, "Don't Eat There" and possibly that brief 1969 bit on side B before the 1980 stuff. Some may be quality upgrades though.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-06-14 17:21   [Quote] 
Quote:
On my server I just make them available, i don't work on them....

Because Pat and others are better experts than me, it is Pat's breakdown btw, I can do this stuff if forced to, but i would rather just transfer. My time is so minimal in the summer, it's a bummer, TV dinner by the pool...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pat2e
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2012-07-14 00:09   [Quote] 
many thanks for this!

Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2012-07-19 20:04   [Quote] 
the solos alone (in this quality) already make this worth downloading. JWB: I'd love to hear the tapes from Night Owl on the Remington LP was taken. They sound quite a bit clearer than on here.

thomas
Contributor
norway.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-07-21 12:30   [Quote] 
Thanks ! Nice one Smile

Stange, Norway
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 4 of 6 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Outtakes/Unreleased All times are GMT

Jump to: