Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
my rig  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Unofficial Muffin Recording Kitchen
mycroftxxx
Contributor
nepal.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-04-20 21:28   [Quote] 
sp cmc 4u mics > spsb-8 battery box > roland r-09

the sp cmc 4u mics are audio technica cardiods... i guess they are better than the mics built into the r-09, but i have no empirical evidence to support that guess... i affix them to my eyeglasses using small faucet o-rings...

the battery box is where i get bumfuzzled... 8 tiny switches that control bass rolloff, 4 for each channel... that almost always change positions when they are in my pocket... they allow me to set the bass roll-off to 16, 69, 95, 107, 160, 195, or 888 Hz...

in the past at loud rock shows i've set it at 95 or at 69 Hz... of course if the switches change while it's in my pocket there's no telling what it ends up being... perhaps i should have gone with a less complicated one size fits all power supply...

turn off switches 1, 2, and 4 for 16Hz...

turn off switches 1, 2, and 3 for 888Hz...

with other combinations for the other choices...

i printed out the combinations, and affixed them to the back of the battery box...

i'm not sure where to set them when i record the grandmothers next week...

to listen to my rig you can download my recording of tom waits in dallas 2008:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=315215&hit=1

yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2012-04-20 21:43   [Quote] 
What's the point of using bass rolloff when recording? If needed you could always apply a high-pass filter on your computer afterwards.

doctorzap
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-08-13 08:45   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
What's the point of using bass rolloff when recording? If needed you could always apply a high-pass filter on your computer afterwards.

very good advice !

mycroftxxx
Contributor
nepal.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-08-13 11:16   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:

Bass Roll-off option
The selectable bass roll off (bass reduction) filter which provides seven different bass roll-off frequencies to choose from, with independent switches for each channel. The bass roll off is used when the material to be recorded has excessive bass content and allows the user to adjust the bass response of the mic system accordingly. The selectable frequencies are 16Hz (no bass roll off), 69Hz, 95Hz, 107Hz, 160Hz, 195Hz and 888Hz.

Ob
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2012-08-13 19:24   [Quote] 
Unwanted bass eats up your headroom: removing it as you record allows you to have a higher signal and so potentially less noise and better dynamics.
Bass filters aren't there to remove the music necessarily but are used by recordists to remove rumble often associated with wind noise, traffic noise, planes and foot stomps on some stages. The venue can emphasise certain bass frequencies to the detriment of a natural balance too.
Engineers would also use them on stage set ups or multitrack recordings to "clarify" and separate instruments (most notably voice and guitars and overheads possibly to allow the kick and bass some room). Most shows going through a PA will have most channels filtered (sometimes even the bass guitar if it helps the kick): have a look at the mixing desk next time you are at a gig - I bet you a pint there will be some High Pass Filters in action.
The choice to use a HPF will be the recordists best guess at the the best compromise: will the music already be filtered by the engineer so one might as well go for further filter to eliminate extraneous rumbles or booms and gain a better perceived signal level. Or will the music (acoustic jazz, classical folk etc that has anything bigger than a triangle in it usually applies) be harmed if filtered - assuming no wind or traffic or that the venue sounds ok etc.

Unfortunately without knowing all the variables it isn't easy to criticise someone's choice to filter - even mycroft's!

[Profile]  [PM] 
Ob
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2012-08-13 20:27   [Quote] 
My Rigs are:
Tascam Dr-08 (great for covert recordings, recording wide or narrow sound stages, goes up to 24/96 sounds good enough and is easy to use).
Emu 0404 USB into Laptop (great for "simple" recording sessions, nice preamps and converters and reasonably fool proof. The lappy needed a bit of tweeking.)
And for full blown multitrack recordings I have several pres (Focusrite TTPro, Beringher ADA8000, etc going into an Emu 1212m/purpose built PC.

Used to have a Cowon iAudio x5 - lovely for taking a feed from the soundboard.

And lots of mics.

[Profile]  [PM] 
thomas
Contributor
norway.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-08-14 10:00   [Quote] 
I got 2 recorders.
Sony WMD6C, analog recorder.
(Caballero Reynaldo used my WMD6C SBD tape from Larvik on their live cd.)
Sony PCM M1 DAT recorder.
My microphones are Sennheizer MKE 2002 with the dummy head.
Bruel & Kjr 4035 x2, headset mic based on the 4007 model.