Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1978 10 26 WBCN Boston MA Pbuzby vs Drew51 samples  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Samples & Fills
DL-List
Complete

Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-01-04 05:55   [Quote] 
I always meant to look at this. An essential radio show interview wih live material from the sound board. It doesn't get better! I wish they played more! I wonder if the DJ has a copy of the whole board??

Two sets of samples, from my tape, and our current version by pbuzby here:
http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3275
Samples include start, and end. Also samples of the songs.

My tape was super slow, and samples were pitch corrected a whopping +130. My tape even slows more by the end. So it's a toughy if my tape is used. Raw version has been left raw for proper pitch correction if needed. Also the flaws are for sure louder on my tape ( a good indication it is lower gen).

Anyway this is an essential addition to any collection, and our current example needs pitch work too. It was posted in 2005, bet many missed it.

Frank Zappa
WBCN 104.1 FM Boston MA
1978 10 26
Source: Unknown generation FM capture

Lineage: Maxell UDXLII Cassette>Nakamichi CR-7A cassette deck>Tascam US-122L>
Sound Forge Pro 10.0 (record/edits/resample)>FLAC Level 8

Transferred By: Drew51
Edited By: Drew51

Break Down:
01. Intro
02. Persona Non Grata *
03. Band Intros *
04. Interview
05. City Of Tiny Lites *
06. Outro

Notes: * = from 25-Oct 1978, North Shore Coliseum, Danvers MA

2012 01 03 - Drew51 ZRP/Zappateers Archives

Last edited by Drew51 on 2012-01-04 15:31; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flambay
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2012-01-04 12:06   [Quote] 
Thanks Drew for bringing this back up.

Anyone having a decent sounding AUD tape version of the 1978 10 25 Danvers show to contribute.
I only have a CD-R copy of an earlier 'ninja' transfer.
Perhaps a new transfer available from that source ?
This would be an important one to add in FZ Shows imo, last show before the 1978 NYC Halloween run.

Between the two versions sampled here
I prefer the sound of the Drew51 version
but I guess that the FA of the pbuzby version (blue line) looks more 'natural' ...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-01-04 14:14   [Quote] 
I'm not sure why FA looks as it does? The tape is older then dirt, one of the UDXL tapes, not the XLII, more modern shell. The old black shell tape. I obtained the tape in about 1982.
Oh also not mentioned is, it is a tape with Dolby On, if you prefer a better FA, the No Dolby transfer will be full of hiss (and brighter), and blow away that blue line. Just for the hell of it, i will add samples to this archive.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2012-01-04 14:20   [Quote] 
I remember there were speed fluctuation issues with my tape and although I at least put it pretty close to correct pitch, this was before Flambay checked everything for speed suggestions.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-01-04 14:56   [Quote] 
I see you looked at COTL, well in SF 10 the FA looks fine on COTL?? Something is not right with your graph...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flambay
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2012-01-04 15:03   [Quote] 
Quote:
I see you looked at COTL, well in SF 10 the FA looks fine on COTL?? Something is not right with your graph...

When producing that FA graph,
right click over the graph curve
and uncheck the 'logarithmic'
then you should be getting a curve like mine.

You should also 'normalize' the graphs,
otherwise, in full 0 to -150dB range they always look very 'flat'.

I also recommend you to play around with the window size (move around the lower right corner of the FA subwindow).
Right now the two 'FA boxes' are looking much too narrow or too flat to show significant information about the FA graph curve.

I took my FAs from the first 10 secs starting at when they sing
"Tiny is as tiny do ..."
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-01-04 15:16   [Quote] 
OK, yeah i was playing with settings, and your graph looks fine. I would say mine has a lower range due to having dolby on. Otherwise not sure why? I did transfer a no dolby pass too, I want to look at that graph of same section. It has way too much hiss, but it might not be from dolby, hence why such a drastic cut in range. I must say this is so strange, as my tape at this point sounds super bright compared to the PB tape, yet it has a lower frequency...strange.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-01-04 16:01   [Quote] 
It appears it is the dolby that made this change. I added intro and COTl samples of the no dolby transfer. Graph appears more normal.
Check new samples yourself. I guess the hiss is not that bad, there though. I think my version sounds a lot better, not a little better, and a lot more natural sounding, even the Dolby version.
I wish more people would chime in.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-01-04 16:16   [Quote] 
Quote:
Anyone having a decent sounding AUD tape version of the 1978 10 25 Danvers show to contribute.

I have 2 different versions possibly different sources. Sound though is not very good.

Looking at the catalog I also have 1978 10 23 and that one is decent sounding.
Another not available was sampled here:
http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=22540
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-01-04 16:49   [Quote] 
Back to this 1st graph, looking at some of our FZShows entries, well a lot look like the first graph you posted. Such as 1981 10 31 soundboard. I bet many of our torrents have a similiar graph...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flambay
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2012-01-04 22:53   [Quote] 
Thanks for the additional no-dolby samples.

Personally I'd go with Drew's no-dolby version.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mudsharknyc
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2012-01-05 13:01   [Quote] 
flambay wrote:
Thanks for the additional no-dolby samples.

Personally I'd go with Drew's no-dolby version.

+1 Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Stucco Holmes
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2012-01-05 14:00   [Quote] 
Okay, I'l chime in drew! I don't usually , you guys are so good at this, but fter listening to the samples, I like the DR51 versions (Persona and COTL), the COTL w/ no dolby sounds the best to me and these old ears. Looking forward to the finished versions!!

Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-01-05 15:37   [Quote] 
Thanks everybody for the help, I think this is an important piece, and we need to get it right. I'm glad I made both passes on this one (recorded a dolby and no dolby version). I thought it was better with Dolby, but consensus is otherwise. It really helps to have input. The no dolby version it is then! I guess I have changed my mind, as one could probably filter the no dolby version better then the dolby B setting can, if one wishes to remaster. My thinking was the highs are not that filtered by the hiss was, then again my ears are very old. Still were good enough to say my transfer was better quality, and I'm glad I found an acceptable way to present it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Stucco Holmes
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2012-01-05 17:02   [Quote] 
Drew51 wrote:
Thanks everybody for the help, I think this is an important piece, and we need to get it right. I'm glad I made both passes on this one (recorded a dolby and no dolby version). I thought it was better with Dolby, but consensus is otherwise. It really helps to have input. The no dolby version it is then! I guess I have changed my mind, as one could probably filter the no dolby version better then the dolby B setting can, if one wishes to remaster. My thinking was the highs are not that filtered by the hiss was, then again my ears are very old. Still were good enough to say my transfer was better quality, and I'm glad I found an acceptable way to present it.

I hope I had so worthwhile input! I am going to losten to my old version I just found of this on my way to work. There's so other stuff on the disc I forgot about as well!
Thanks for bringing this one back to life!! Wink

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Samples & Fills All times are GMT

Jump to: