Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1988 05 04, The Ahoy, Rotterdam, Holland Aud 1st gen (RobSam doctorzap)  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Shoebox
DL-List
Complete: [ 42 ]

doctorzap
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-12-30 10:04   [Quote] 
Zappy New Year Everybody
Lineage : Maxell XLII-S 1ST gen > Nakamichi DR-1 > Realtek HDAudio pentium i7 > Soundforge 10 Pro Highest quality setting Izotope 64 bit src downsampling / MBIT+dither> TLH ....................
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
robsam
Contributor
thailand.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-01-03 10:10   [Quote] 
Hey there...
I was at the two Ahoy shows in 1988. Both were amazing! I believe this one was the longest show of the 1988 tour.

WIU2B
Contributor
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-01-03 10:18   [Quote] 
robsam wrote:
Hey there...
I was at the two Ahoy shows in 1988. Both were amazing! I believe this one was the longest show of the 1988 tour.

Yes these were good shows and as you might know I was there as well and recorded them both. Your tapes are from an other source though.
Imho the second night was one of the best in this tour. The band was very tense and tight because of this rehearsal thingy. If you haven't heard my recording, check it out. It's not perfect, but an enjoyable listen.

Zappacheers!

[Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
thailand.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-01-03 11:40   [Quote] 
WIU2B wrote:
robsam wrote:
Hey there...

Yes these were good shows and as you might know I was there as well and recorded them both. Your tapes are from an other source though.
Imho the second night was one of the best in this tour. The band was very tense and tight because of this rehearsal thingy. If you haven't heard my recording, check it out. It's not perfect, but an enjoyable listen.

Zappacheers!

I didn't know you recorded these two concerts, but nice to know we were at the same shows way back then! I haven't heard your recordings, but I hope that we can get a great sounding final version for FZ shows for both of these concerts.

I remember fondly how Frank came out at the beginning of the first show on May 3rd and proceeded to announce the setlists for both of the shows. Not one song repeated. The secret word for the May 3rd show was 'fishbone' because Robert Martin had almost choked on a fishbone at a meal sometime before the show. The secret word on the 4th being rehearsal due to Frank's 'disappointment' in the band's performance. The setlist for the show on the 4th had lots of really hard songs for the band to play, especially the horns.
At the time while I was enjoying the show, I thought that it was all pretty funny. I was cracking up when FZ makes reference to the band having had spent their day off in Amsterdam on May 2nd. From memory, without listening to the show in a few years, I remember in The Torture Never Stops FZ singing something like...'Are they wasted? Maybe it was the catering, they all tasted.' And then, 'Something wrong been done, Ike done it first.' Once when talking with Mike Keneally about the May 4th concert (a year or so after the show), Mike told me how some guys in the band were offended by Frank's comments. Mike also told me that when Frank sang, 'Something wrong been done, Ike done it first.' Ike, obviously hurt by Frank's joking, turned to Mike and sort of half said half mimed 'What the fuck?!'
Well the band was self destructing by then so no doubt tensions were high between Frank, the band and Scott. Frank was never one to beat around the bush and even though he was probably joking as he was giving the guys in the band shit, I think there was some anger in his joking that night. I'm really glad that I was there at the Ahoy for both of the 1988 shows. Two unforgettable nights of Zappa music!
Here's a great picture of FZ in Europe 1988 with a sailor hat on...not sure if it's from one of the Ahoy shows, but in any case, it'd be a great one for a CD cover. "Ahoy Sailor"!

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Shoebox All times are GMT

Jump to: